Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog Bins

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Val001, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Val001

Val001 PetForums Senior

Our council has recently removed all dog waste bins. Before they did they put a notice on them say we should in future put the waste in our black wheelie bins or in litter bins in the street.

Has anyone else had this from their councils. It means it isn't separated any more but then I don't know what they did with it before. :confused:

2. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

I know they have got rid of alot of bins in places like parks, only to cut down on paying someone to empty them.

3. L/C

L/C PetForums VIP

I've never seen any dog bins where we are and all the 'Pick up after your dog' signs are stuck onto regular litter bins. And we reguarly walk in parks covered by 3 different councils - might be a London thing?

4. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

We have both but I use the waste bins just as much as the dog bins. As long as it goes in a bin then its all good!

5. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Our council are gradually replacing the seperate bins with new larger bins for all rubish including dog waste.

As long as it's going in a bin then it's OK.

6. DaisytheTT

DaisytheTT PetForums Senior

How short sighted cos now they will have to employ someone to pick up after all the irresponsible dog owners who leave the bags on the ground because there are no bins anymore and they can't be bothered to cart the doggy bags back home with them!

7. DaisytheTT

DaisytheTT PetForums Senior

We've still got dedicated dog bins in some areas and other areas within the same council have bins for both doggy bags and general rubbish. We can also double wrap our dog waste and put it in our normal rubbish wheelie bin.

8. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

We have recently had more dog bins put in a couple of quite rural lanes / paths near us, just before you wlak back into the village. This is fantastic BUT as some of them dont have vehicular access is is often not emptied for many weeks at a time. Especially in the summer the bin is literally overflowing and it becomes a game of 'Pooh Jenga' to put your mess in the bin! The smell is really really bad - I will actually avoid that walk because i feel so ill wlaking past the bin!

If im out walking and peoples black bins are near the front of their property (Ie i dont have to walk on their property to put something in there) then il pop it in there! (If there are no bins anywhere near Or alter my walk to go near a public bin.

9. Val001

Val001 PetForums Senior

Well in a way it suits me cos when I cleared any dog poo from the garden I walked over to the dog bin as I thought thats what should be done. Now I can just put it in my own bin. Sorted :)

Seems it varies from council to council as I expected. Thanks for all your views guys.

10. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Ours did the same finally put ones in the streets and put a lot of new ones in the parks. Then all of a sudden removed the lot. They now tell you to put it in the normal litter bins. Must have cost a fortune to buy and put in the bins, a lot of them were pretty new. Total waste on money. The parks used to give out council dog poop bags too free, that stopped too. Best part at around the same time, they brought in dog control orders with wardens in vans giving FPNs at £80.00 each for dogs off leads in the parks. Probably similar fine for dog fouling too.

11. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

How odd, would make more sense to just leave them and simply chuck the waste in with the normal rubbish when they empty them :confused:

12. SixStar

SixStar Banned

ALL waste from public wastebins in Britain is treated as clinical waste and incinerated, so it makes very little difference what bin you place the bag into, it all ends up at the same place anyway ;)

13. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

I noticed the other day on my walk that the only dog bin around that part was gone. No idea why and there was no notice up to say anything. It means now people aren't picking their dogs poos up. I'm complaining to my council.

14. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

Basically the waste companies have been lying to our local councils for years telling them that dog waste has to be treated separately from normal waste and charging them lots for it. The truth has now come out that dog waste is no different to any other waste and the council are no longer being charged for or providing a service that is not necessary.

15. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Our council has increased the dog bins and there's not much poo in the street any more either. It's a seaside town so I suppose it wouldn't be good for business to have poop all over the place, especially along the prom. :)

16. CarrieH

CarrieH PetForums Member

It seems to vary a lot from council to council. Where I went to uni (many years ago) there used to be a byelaw that it was an offence to put dog waste in an ordinary public litter bin. In my hometown there's all the signs about picking up after your dog, but I defy you to find a dedicated dog bin anywhere in the town.
    Here on the Island one of my neighbours was saying a month ago that she'd popped into the town council offices and somehow the conversation got onto bins and she was told it was now acceptable to put dog waste in the ordinary public litter bins. Wonder if that's a forerunner to doing away with the dog bins (think we're lucky, there's lots about - sadly there's lots of people around who don't pick up as well!)
    I also often wonder who decides what height to place dog bins at. I'm 5'3" and most of the bins round here are so high that for me I'm lifting the lid right at face height, definitely not pleasant!

#16 CarrieH, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice