Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog being sick

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Clarkerz, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Clarkerz

Clarkerz PetForums Newbie

Hi,

We have an 11 year old Staffy who has always been a dog that eats anything and everything. He has intermittently been sick over the past 2 years but we thought it was due to the fact as we live fairly rural, he eats everything he finds (bad dog!). About 5 weeks ago it became more frequency until he has been throwing up daily over the past month. He has lost about 4Kg over that time and the vet has given him an anti sickness injection which stops him being sick for about 4 days.

His bloods are normal (white and red blood cells), Liver, Kidney functions and gall and pancreas as well. We paid for an endoscopy on Friday and also an x-ray and there is nothing wrong with his stomach or some way into his small intestine and he also had an X-Ray whilst he was out and no visible tumors. He is just so depressed and will not hardly eat anything now and food he would have gulped down a month ago he just stares at. We've tried everything. He will take dog peanut butter and a little bit of steak but that's it now.

He is on Omeprazole, Ranitidine, and Predisolone - since his endoscopy we have also been given Metrocbactin and Amoxycare to give him as well. We were able to sneak the first three in his food a week ago but now he is just not interested. When he does eat anything he seems to chew it for ever and makes a real mess and chomping sound. The vet said he had a good look inside his mouth when he was out and there was nothing evident and is at a loss.

I was wondering if he is aware that eating has made him sick and or could he have a neurological issue?

If anyone has any thoughts, they would be greatly received.

Thanks

Andy

#1 Clarkerz, Jun 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Could quite be neurological, as a human who has a history of vomiting and nausea my appetite isn't what it used to be.

I would consider home cooking and novel foods to be honest...hopefully if he gets the message he's not going to vomit it might help.

Also offer/ feed food little and often can help to put weight back on so he's not overwhelmed with a large meal all in one go.

Lurcherlad and Clarkerz like this.
  3. Clarkerz

Thanks Lullabydream....appreciate the response

lullabydream likes this.
  4. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Ditto lullabydream’s suggestion.
    It may sound bonkers but years ago I had a similar problem with my horse. Changed his food gradually to a new kind of all natural system. About a week later he stopped eating. Hay, grass new food the lot.
    Vets could find nothing wrong. Suggested I a buy a completely different food and try it. I did he wolfed it down.
    Still wouldn’t eat hay or grass. I put his hay in a net instead of the usual trough - he ate it. Turned him out and eventually he started grazing.
    The natural regime was giving him tummy ache. He associated it with everything he ate. Changing things around broke the cycle.
    Hope it’s something just as simple for your staffy

Lurcherlad, lullabydream and Clarkerz like this.
  5. Clarkerz

That makes total sense and sort of where we have got to..he has JUST eaten a few bits of boiled steak...really appreciate the response Mum2Heidi

lullabydream likes this.
  6. Clarkerz

That makes total sense and sort of where we have got to..he has JUST eaten a few bits of boiled steak...really appreciate the response Mum2Heidi

lullabydream likes this.
  7. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Adding on to @Mum2Heidi if he's eating out of a bowl,try a plate, puzzle feeder that sort of thing. So again lessen the association bowl, food makes me ill if that makes sense!

Lurcherlad and Mum2Heidi like this.
  8. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

You are very welcome. Happy to help.
    Great he’s just eaten. Hope he continues.

lullabydream likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice