Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog behaviour and privileges link

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SHELLY0379, Jan 11, 2021.

1. SHELLY0379

SHELLY0379 PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    I am doing a project for college to try to establish a link between giving your dog certain privileges and unwanted behaviours.
    Please could i ask people to click on the link/code and complete the questions.

Thanks very much,

Attached Files:

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

No, sorry, it could be anything ;)

JoanneF likes this.
  3. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Not sure that's how research works. You don't come up with the conclusion first and then try to find evidence to prove it ;)

I'll save you some time. Letting your dog on the sofa does not make him think he's the boss.

Sarah H, Torin., LinznMilly and 3 others like this.
  4. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm afraid you don't have permisson to post links until you've made 25 posts.

5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

And I find it so sad that someone at college is still in the mindset of the old dominance myth as this project is clearly looking at one aspect of it.
    Very lazy thinking displayed all round by the OP.

6. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I don't understand this ... what is a 'privilege' anyway? My dogs sleep on my bed, have access to the sofa, etc (if this is what's meant) but I do not see these as privileges & neither do my dogs ... it's just everyday life for us.

CheddarS, Sarah H, O2.0 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I am not sure what a privilege is either. Everyone has their own way to keep their dogs that fits in with their lives.

Sarah H and O2.0 like this.
  8. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

9. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

I've completed the survey, but honestly if there are correlations in this then it will be by chance. Granted, begging for food can result if you feed your dog from your plate, however jumping up at visitors, being destructive when left, not recalling and eating food left unattended have nothing to do with whether or not a dog is allowed on the sofa, allowed access to all rooms in the house or allowed treats.

OP I would encourage you to reconsider your survey as it is based on outdated thinking.

BlueJay, Sarah H, LinznMilly and 4 others like this.
  10. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

I have done the survey . Not sure what it achieves. Not very well thought out.

LinznMilly and Sairy like this.
  11. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I have done it too, not sure what it is for really.

12. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

I did it but I can’t see what conclusions can be drawn from it because, as has already been said, the questions are based on the premise that a dog would see the things mentioned as ‘privileges’.

LinznMilly likes this.
  13. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Okay, looking at the food questions.
    How often do you give your dog doggy treats?
    Um, don't know how to answer that. I do use commercial dog treats (Zukes) but I most of the "treats" are basically part of their food, it's kibble mixed in with other things I would feed them anyway as part of their regular diet like chicken. I train mainly with food, and training happens all day, multiple times a day. So yeah, the dogs get treats all day long....

Do you allow your dog to finish your food after you finish eating?
    Again, not sure how to answer that. If we have leftovers after a meal that are dog appropriate, they get set aside for the next dog mealtime and added in as a topper. Technically, yes, the dog is finishing my food after I eat it, but I don't know how strong of a correlation they make with "human eats food, I finish the rest" or simply "human gives me food, sometimes has good yums on top."

If you left your food unattended, would your dog eat it?
    Depends on where I leave it. We put a lot of work in to teaching the big dogs not to touch food on the kitchen counter or coffee table. We did not proof this training to the bathroom so one time cookies left in the bathroom got eaten (I have teenagers, food ends up in strange places).
    Another time I left a loaf of bread on the counter all day while I was at work. None of the dogs touched it because kitchen food is off limits. They still ate my shoes though :rolleyes:

Does your dog have recall off a lead?
    Yes, excellent recall, they know I'm the one with the food ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice