Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog beginning to cry to night again and being clingy

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Mwingli, May 9, 2017.

1. Mwingli

Mwingli PetForums Junior

Hello,

We have a 31 week old dog. When we first got him home he cried at night for about a week in his crate but quickly grew to love his crate. Since he's been 10 weeks old, he hasn't cried at night until the past week. I'm not sure what has set him off, nothing has changed at home apart from his general obedience training and off lead/recall training has progressively gotten tougher but he well praised and is rewarded with treats. During the day, I quite often find him having a snooze or a play in his crate.

I work from home full time so he's not left alone while my partner's work is office based so he is out 9-6 during the week. We've also noticed that he gets rather upset if one of us leaves the room and takes him a while to settle. Could it be that he's bonded with us and misses us more than when he was younger?

Should we start at the basics with his night time routine and leave the radio on, smelly t shirt, hot water bottle, cover his crate etc?

We did notice that last night most the most unusual for him, when I tried to put him in his crate, he looked absolutely terrified. I have no idea why he would feel this way, we have worked really hard to make him feel his crate a happy, positive place.

I don't think he's been spooked by something at night, he has a different bark for that. We also have those motion sensor lights in the back garden and we haven't noticed anything unusual at night.

Also, at what point do you think a behaviourist should be involved?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

#1 Mwingli, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
  2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Could be the secondary fear phase.

I googled and found this, which might help? (I didn't read every word, but it seems to offer good advice in a positive way.)

3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

It is a big mistake to be with your dog all the time. Even from day one you should be leaving them alone for a reasonable length of time. If you are always there then they are bound to get upset when left and it could just be that he is starting to get worried about being on his own. I would build up to leaving him for an hour or so every day and see if this helps the night time.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. Mwingli

Mwingli PetForums Junior

Hi Lurcherlad,

Thanks, this actually makes sense. He is now quite of certain things which didn't bother him bother before.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Mwingli

Mwingli PetForums Junior

Hi Blitz,

Thanks, that is a good point. We used to leave him alone quite a lot in his crate for a few hours at a time, but we haven't done this as much as we are trying to get him used to being in pubs/restaurants and walking about busy towns. He seems to be better if we both leave him, he settles down after 10mins or so with a bit of peanut butter to keep him occupied and is normally asleep when we come home. I suppose its difficult because I leave home when he needs a walk and its difficult for me to be away from my laptop anymore than that.

Blitz likes this.
  6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I found with Jack when I first got him from rescue he had mild SA (understandable given he was a stray - abandonment issues! :(;)).

Anyhoo, I had built him up gradually and was leaving him for short spells during the week with no problems, but he seemed to relapse on a Monday because we were with him 24/7 at the weekend. So I made sure he had at least some time alone every single day (took myself round the block or to the shop for a magazine) for 2-3 weeks, which seemed to cement the training and no further problems.

Maybe, take him for his walk so he's toiletted and worn off some energy then leave the radio/TV on, crate, chew, blanket, etc. and pop out for 5 mins, return, etc. and build him up gradually. Also practise one of you popping out in the same way.

Blitz likes this.
  7. Mwingli

Mwingli PetForums Junior

Just an update to this - since I last posted, we have been leaving Arnie at home lot more often and at weekends we are able to leave him for 4 hrs no problem. He also settles a lot quicker if only one or both of us leave the house.

At night time, he doesn't want to go into his crate but he has stopped crying at night. We have been woken up in the middle of the night by the neighbours dogs and some foxes quite a few times, so maybe that has been worrying him at night?

Anyway, thanks for all the advice, Arnie has been much better :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice