Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog bed advice, to tuffie nest or not to tuffie nest...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by GoldenShadow, Sep 2, 2018.

1. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Hi all

I am deliberating about whether to buy the gang a proper bed or not. Rupert was never bothered, happy with vet bed. He will sneak on the sofa occasionally but he is happy stretched out on the floor. He is an older lad though at 10 so I feel like the cold hard floor isn’t ideal.

Rosalie loves to snuggle. She prefers being curled up in a ball. Carmen wants anything soft. I am trying to discourage them from the sofa because it is not big enough for humans and dogs!

I’m torn as to whether a tuffie nest would be a good idea or not. And then do I get a giant one for sharing, or a smaller one and something else? Not sure if Rupert would like one if he had to share, or if he’d like one at all to be honest. I think Rosalie would but she does get a bit hot.

For anyone unaware the dogs are 2 x golden retrievers and 1 x Chinese crested size wise.

What have you all got?

2. fernlady

fernlady PetForums VIP

Mylo has a Wainwright's bed on the landing that I bought when we adopted him. He doesn't use it very often but I refuse to throw it out! I treated him last year to an Orvis Couch bed & he absolutely loves it! Can curl up, stretch, hang over the edge etc.

3. fernlady

fernlady PetForums VIP

I forgot to say, his favourite sleeping place is on the back of the sofa!

4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

@tabelmabel just bought one I think and might have some advice.

5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

@tabelmabel has just got a tuffies bed...it's posted in training hopefully it will be moved!

I have a tuffies mattress which I bought specifically for my old Jovi which he loved in his older years. Still doesn't harbour smells is a bit crunching in sound which I think put Maisie off last year when we got her, the noise. Although the past few months she's been using it. Although she prefers the sofa...the manky chair that we leave up for her. Unless she wants to stretch out that is!

I was just smiling at the thread though as she was sat on manky chair next to the mattress. Would have snapped a pic but you know husband in kitchen so food might be dropped!

To be honest I have a lurcher and the minibeasts (2 chihuahuas and a Yorkie). One chi tends to sit next to my son or OH. The other two well either manky chair or me..could be any body part from head, hip, shoulder or knee.

Oh as a side note..I did get Stan my Yorkie a child's chair from IKEA which he does like to use. It's white plastic, came with a black cushion on so threw a throw on it too and he's really comfy on that too! Sometimes with small dogs you need to think out the box!

6. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

Yep, our 3 are the same :rolleyes:

7EC32CB9-416C-4C81-AB3D-1E9B58A27509.jpeg

Infact we replaced our tatty sofa with a new one exactly the same model from DFS to ensure their comfort :rolleyes: A few others we looked at wouldn’t have sat flat with the wall and couldn’t risk them falling through the gap !

Tuffies are nice beds but you’d need to be sure they would use it as they aren’t exactly cheap. Quite a few people on PF have these for our dogs, especially the oldies https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_beds_baskets/orthopaedic_dog_beds/206847

Lucy has the small one upstairs and it’s very comfortable for her. Reduced her snoring aswell so that was an added bonus :Hilarious

Jemymah, fernlady and Happy Paws like this.
  7. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

8. Esther Slater

Esther Slater PetForums Newbie

Hi

I suggest getting a dog crate, slowly introducing it to your dogs and getting them to understand that the crate is their own special place or bed. You can either get one giant one to share or if you think they would respond better to one each or even getting a large one for two of them to share and one smaller one for Rupert if you think he would like one on his own. You can then layer up old or cheap blankets depending on how warm or cold they get.

With your dogs having a place of their own to be comfortable they will be less likely to use the sofa. A crate is also great as you can move it round the house so if your dogs want to be in the same room as you you can just move the crate to where you will be.

I use a crate with my dog and it's AMAZING! I use it for taking her in the car (keeps unwanted malted hair off the seats) and it's great for when you go out so you know nothing will get damaged etc.

Also I know it might be a bit off putting knowing you will have to train them to use it and getting them used to it will take time but overall it's not difficult. I trained my dog by putting her favourite toys in there so she would have to go in the crate to get them. I also I started putting her food in the crate which i found worked well because she would eventually have to go in the crate to eat (sounds a bit harsh but I think that was what really did it for my dog).

Plus now a days you can get cheap crates off ebay or even facebook now which is a bonus!

Hope this helps x

9. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

Dillon has 3 beds, a nice cosy bed next to ours, a vet bed in the utility room and cool mat in the living room, so where does he sleep, on the floor outside our bedroom door.:rolleyes:

fernlady and lullabydream like this.
  10. lullabydream

I did have more beds in our house but I put them away as they were clutter!

Stan sleeps on anything he can make a bed out of too..obviously harder for Dillon but Stan's used a tray, laptop bag and carrier bag too. Some dogs really are not fussy are they. But then Stan sleeps on my head a lot!

11. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

Mine have a tuffies mattress which they go on after a wet walk but other than that they don't use it, it doesn't seem too comfy tbh. They have a small cheap round bed under the dining table which they both squeeze into or they lie on the carpet.

Jasper did have a tuffies nest but he didn't use it, they seemed really cosy but Jasper likes sprawling out as well as curling up so it wasn't right for him.

Mine have got the aldi dog beds in the bedroom and they both love them. The only bed Jasper will spend the entire night on.

12. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Hi @GoldenShadow I just got a tuffies nest for tilly and she seems to like it! I ordered medium size and it's big enough for her to curl up loosely (or tightly) but not to stretch right out.

Very sturdy and fully washable. They do do a chew proof one but this nest one is chew resistant rather than chew proof. 20180901_174612.jpg

It's a good thick fabric though.

13. BlueJay

BlueJay Made of bones

Samwise has a tuffies nest and loves it :)
    He gets hot easily but seems quite content in it (i took the fluffy cover off the cushion). Its super sturdy and easy to get his floofs off.
    Everyone else has [email protected] beds :)

14. lullabydream

@BlueJay can you remember that huge black bed you had once? I bought one two as it was cheap but a bugger to clean. To be fair that held its shape well though with my lot at the time using it...I just put a layer of vet bed in too.

Them beds were cheap as chips for the size but can't remember the website!

15. BlueJay

BlueJay Made of bones

I loved those beds!!
    I wanted some more but they've stopped making/trading now :(

16. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Got Muddy's almost new orthopedic bed here, I'm trying to find a good home for, but would be a fortune in postage.

17. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

I have several beds scattered about, Hector prefers to sprawl and likes the mattress type ones from Pets Corner Great and Small range, the also have two Danish Design soft mattress type beds (but the inside cushions are now falling apart as Hector likes to dig on them to get them good and comfy and IO have a Danish design cushion donut type bed but only Hilde or the cats tend to use it.

18. lullabydream

They were good! I only got a tuffies because the black one Jovi was struggling to lift his leg in to due to arthritis...great beds for the money! It was huge too....plus he was older so when Tuffies said something about odour it sold me and how easy clean they were!

Such a shame!

19. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I bought a Tuffie mattress and Isla never took to it, I think because it’s not soft enough. I didn’t get a cover for it and I wonder if this is the problem as she sort of slides off and that worries her.
    Her bed at home is this

150A3C04-78E7-4625-904A-4DB3CFA5EE77.jpeg

At the static it’s meant to be this
    80B1EACF-EA54-4AAC-AEB8-0ED18A2B7B1B.jpeg

But ends up as this

6A6A3740-B683-4F00-B16F-B096CB5CFD47.jpeg

lullabydream, rona and Westie Mum like this.
  20. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

We have a tuffies (he has a ton of beds and still sits on the sofa/bed)
    and he loves it but only in winter as think it’s a bit warm...did take a bit of time as the beans do make it move differently.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice