Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog bath

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Joso1000, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Joso1000

Joso1000 PetForums Newbie

Hello. I have a 9 month old puppy whos dad is a pure blooded siberian husky and his mom is pure blooded alaskan malamot. I would like to give him a bath or a showe but not certain how to do it. I would appreciate some hints, advices. Does it must be a dog shampoo? Can i wash him outdoors? How, where? Help. Thanks

2. Joso1000

Joso1000 PetForums Newbie

Bump, pls help

3. Mophie

Mophie PetForums Senior

I prefer washing in the bath and always use the shower head I never fill the bath up. I have in the long a go past used baby shampoo for washing but dog shampoo is probably best so I'd look a puppy specific shampoo.

To get Donnie in the bath I find it easier to drape a towel over him then I bend down, gather up his legs and scoop him up one arms is around his chest the other around his bum and then lower him in. He hates baths but quite enjoys drinking the fresh warm water from the shower head :rolleyes:

I get him out in the same way I put him in the bath too but I towel him down a bit then lift him out.

4. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

When I lived in a house with a downstairs bathroom, I used to put my dog in the shower - with a towel in the shower tray to prevent slipping.

Now I have a secure garden and upstairs bathroom I gave him a shower with the hosepipe the other day outside. Positioned him on the concrete slabs near to a drain. I attached his lead to the outhouse so he had to stay where he was, but actually he was very good.

He has only had 3 showers in his life....and definitely seemed to prefer the nice warm shower to the hosepipe :eek: :D.

I use a specific dog shampoo.

5. CavalierOwner

CavalierOwner PetForums VIP

I stick my 3 in the bath (not at the same time :lol:) and use the shower head! I never put any water in the bath but i ALWAYS use dog shampoo. After their bath i wrap them up in the towel while they are still in the bath and then cary them downstairs (they are small dogs) and then they usually try drying themselves off in front of the fire. :rolleyes:

6. Mici

Mici PetForums Member

I wash my dog quite often.

In my experience, you just need to be carefull not to scare him (I don't know how your dogs like water in general) and that the water is the right T ans so on...

I wash my dog outside with a garden house that is attached to the pipe (with hot water and cold) in our garage.

As for the shampoo...I used to wash him with dog shampoos but after checking their ingredient lists I don't use them anymore. Especially as they are very expensive for what they are. Instead I get my dog wet than apply to his coat sodium bicarbonate and leave it for a little bit. Than I apply a mixture of white vinegar and just a tad of glycerine. Than rinse everything with water.
    At the end I ussually apply some liquid that I get by boiling rosemary seeds (this is sort of a conditioner).

My dog has a healthy skin and has no doggy odour after these baths :) If you wish you can add some fragrance to the shampoo but I don't do this as I don't think my dog would like it. But if you do add any fragrances be carefull that the smell is not owerpovering, that it isn't toxic to the dog etc...

Hope this helps! I would say that you don't have to worry about your dog being affraid of the bath.... Just observe your dogs behaviour and go from there :)

7. Barkley Star

Barkley Star PetForums Member

I use a bath with a handheld shower head or run a bath about 10 cm deep (so not a lot!) and then use a plastic jug. Put a towel or antislip mat in first for the dog to stand on. I do the body first (with dog shampoo) and then I do the head last. Make sure the water isn't too hot (just warm) and don't let the dog stand around and get cold afterwards.

When my dogs get muddy after a walk, I just rinse them off with the garden hose (no shampoo).

8. sallygunes

sallygunes PetForums Member

we have to give our staffy winston a bath at least twice a week as he loves romping through the mud in the woods and is mostly white :D he is quite sensitive skinned so after a few trials of different doggy shampoos we tried brands of baby shampoos and i have to tell you that the best one ive found with no reactions at all is tescos value brand baby bath at just 11p for 300ml :eek: and have had no skin complaints since we started using it :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice