Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog barks at sail boats and only sail boats

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Maki123, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Maki123

Maki123 PetForums Newbie

Anyone have an idea as to why my dog barks at sail boats and only sail boats? Whenever we’re at the cottage, and there’s a sailboat anywhere on the lake, he sprints for the edge of the dock, barking his little head off. It’s kind of funny, he’ll be relaxing inside, and then something makes him perk up, and he can literally spot these things when they’re kilometres away and naught but a pinprick on the horizon. I can’t for the life of me figure out why sailboats in particular should have this effect on him. I don’t think he was ever stung by a sailboat when he was younger, or there wasn’t a mean bully sailboat that beat him up and took his lunch money or stole his girlfriend, so I really can’t guess as to the reason. Maybe something with how they sound beyond the range of normal human hearing? He’s a 3 year old Pomeranian Husky if that makes a difference (perhaps Pomsky’s are known for their ability to hunt sailboats)

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Dogs have all sorts of weird ideas about things!

I’m not sure if you’re looking for advice or just pointing out your dog’s quirks, but if you wanted to work on it you could try the ‘look at that’ game, where the dog gets rewarded for looking at the boats and not reacting.

3. Maki123

Maki123 PetForums Newbie

Haha maybe a little of column A, a little of column B! It’s not something I’m concerned with to be honest, as he doesn’t do the random crazed barking at anything else (though he has had run ins with porcupines twice in the last 6 months so getting him to listen when something’s seriously caught his attention would be beneficial). With the sailboats specifically I just thought it was very strange that those triangular sheets far off in the distance were the only boats to pique his interest, and wondered if anyone had a solid guess based on science as to why he could almost preternaturally spot them when they were little more than pinpricks on the horizon, and then went crazy barking at them. I’ll look up this ‘look at that’ training and see if that could help, thanks so much for the reply!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice