Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog barking

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Amy O'Hagan, May 1, 2017.

1. Amy O'Hagan

Amy O'Hagan PetForums Newbie

Hi,

Looking a bit of advice, I have an 8 month old terrier cross that I adopted from dogs trust 2 months ago, he is the best dog, friendly to everyone, well trained and sleeps all night without any barking. The only problem is he seems to get very hyper when he sees kids out playing on the street and starts high pitched barking uncontrollably and running from window to window. I've brought him out to the kids on his lead and he loves them and they love petting him. I think he just wants out to play with them, but i'm finding it difficult to get him under control when he gets too hyper and barks. He doesn't really bark any other time but i'm worried that my neighbours will get annoyed with the barking.
    I do manage to get him under control after a little while but just wish he would sit and look out the window and now go mad when he sees them.

Thanks
    Amy

2. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Does he still bark if you put him on the lead and take him outside to watch the children playing? Does he understand what 'sit' means?

3. Amy O'Hagan

No he loves getting out to them and just lets them pet him but because he is a medium sized dog and the children are young I don't let him jump in them incase he would accidentally hurt them. Yes he understands sit, lit down, give me your paw etc but when he gets into this hyperactive mode running from window to window, it takes a while to try and calm him. I'm hoping it's just a puppy thing, he isn't neutered or anything yet.

Amy

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Have you tried covering the window and putting the TV or radio on to obscure the noise of the children?

It's still early days for him settling in and he will have been in a very charged environment in kennels.

Try identifying an irresistible treat or squeaky toy that you can redirect him to and then perhaps do some fun training to distract him long enough to break the habit.

When you go out avoid giving him access to the room overlooking where the children play if you can. Again, leave the radio on so outside noises are not so prevalent.

Twiggy likes this.
  5. Amy O'Hagan

I've tried closing the blinds but the small windows at the side of my front door have no blinds so he can still see them then he runs and paws at the blinds at the side of the house as he knows they are there lol
    He doesn't be left in the house when i'm not there, he is out in the garden and doesn't do it then, it's only when he is in the house when i'm there and he sees them out the front.
    Yes I think I keep forgetting that we only have him 9 weeks and he's still a puppy so hopefully he will grow out of it and maybe getting neutered. He is definitely getting a little better Thanks for the advice.

Amy

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice