Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog barking at passers by

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Sophiex, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Sophiex

Sophiex PetForums VIP

We live on a busy main road and Oscar, my toy poodle, (3 years old today!) has a prize spot sitting on top of the sofa watching the world go by. He's always barked when buses goes by but it was never really bothersome. A few weeks ago, we had our hedge cut and now all he can see is the tops of people's heads as they walk by. This drives him mad and he starts barking like crazy. Woe betide someone who walks past our house with a hat on! :rolleyes:

I don't know how to get him to stop and he's driving us all insane!

2. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

I think leaving a dog sat by a window can leave them to make up there own games and ways of entertaining themselves.
    When ever Sailor jumps up to look out the window, I always call him down and distract him.
    I remember as a child, the joys of a dog that used to sit by a window for many hours and got over excited when he saw anything outside moving.

If you see Oscar about to jump up and start barking, say NO and remove him from the window and shut him out of the room altogether for a few seconds.
    If he runs straight back to the window and starts to bark, remove him again.

If he returns to the room in a calm fashion and sits back by the window not reacting, give him plenty of fuss and a reward.. either a treat or toy, what ever he loves the most.

also if you see something go past your house and he doesn`t react, praise him loads !!!

Keep doing this and hopefully he will learn that barking at the window means he gets shut out from all the fun. Poodles are clever dogs, I`m sure he wont take him long to realise being quiet means he gets to sit by the window.
    and not reacting to thinngs, means he gets praised :D

(fingers crossed!!)

3. Sophiex

Sophiex PetForums VIP

Thank you for the reply, sorry I didn't respond sooner!

I have been following your advice and he isn't quite getting it yet but I'm sure he eventually will. He does look very peeved when he's sent out, esp because we have glass doors so he can see us! I think it will take some time undoing what I was doing which was distracting him with a toy. I was inadvertently giving him attention for being LOUD. :eek:

Thank you again.

4. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

A good reward for a calm "passing by" then!

In a situation where you want to avoid, something happening at all, then distracting makes sense as a pre-emptive measure eg) avoid chasing a duck.

If you actually think you accidentally trained him to be LOUD to get to play, then might be an idea to reward a calm quiet behaviour with the same play instead eg) a lie down at your feet, and then see if he begins to auto-do-that instead. Might be a nice shortcut and save the door hinges ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice