Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog barking at me

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Kajiyama VK, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Kajiyama VK

Kajiyama VK PetForums Newbie

Hi guys. How are y'all doing?

I came from Japan have it been 2 days.
    My brother's dog - an American Bull - since when I arrived home, is barking at me every single time besides when I'm eating.

Since Maggie, my brother's dog, doesn't bark when some service company comes, I'm pretty sure that the problem is entirely my fault. Probably when I came home in Brazil, I didn't even said anything to her... I didn't give her the time to smell me. I was really an invader. Ah! Just to let you know - she never saw me before. She's one and a half years old and I lived in Japan for 2 and a half years.

Just now she entered in my room and started barking. I went to the dor, she left the bedroom, and I tried to close the door (because I'm studying) - then she put her head inside while I was closing the door and I tried, with my knee, to push her a little bit so then I could close the door. She bit me. Not strong....she just bit my knee a little bit.

Funny thing - there was a time that i closed the door when she was inside. I talked to her and even gave the command sit and give me the paw. She did everything. When I opened the bedroom door, she started all over again.

But when I try to pat her - she doesn't let me.

Guys - is there anything I could do? I tried to go for a walk with her but she didn't even let me put the leash on her (how do you call it? Is this the name? "Leash"? Sorry - my english is a little bit bad). I was wondering about training her a little bit outside with some dog food - but I don't know if that's a good idea. I trained my last two dogs with some basic commands - but since she doesn't like me, I don't know if that's a good idea.

When I was in Japan, I was really hoping to get here and know her. I'm so so so so sad. And I know she's a good dog. I'm being the first one that she barks at.

2. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

First, your English is very good! Far better than my Japanese. :)
    Try to see this from the dog’s point of view: you are a stranger who has come into her house and she does not know why you are there. There may be some thing about you that she is not used to: the way you move? Your body language (your movements, etc)? Dogs have a very sensitive sense of smell and you may just smell different! (And, please, I do NOT mean you smell bad! Just different, to a dog who is used to certain things.) I hope you understand that I’m not suggesting you have done anything wrong, just that, to the dog, you are very different.
    So, you have only been in the house for two days. That might seem like a long time, but it will take longer, perhaps, for the dog to get used to strange people. The best approach is to ignore her completely. Don’t look at her. Just behave as if she is not there. If she starts barking she is giving a warning - she is worried. If you can, just back away. The aim is to show that you are no threat to her. Otherwise, ignore her. Don’t look at her. Don’t try and stroke her. Certainly, do NOT try to take her in a walk. If she approaches you and you think she wants to be stroked, try it. Just stroke her (on the sides of her body, not on her head - that will be less threatening.) But only stroke her for five seconds and then stop. If she walks away, let her. But if she stays besides you, wait for five seconds and then stroke her for five seconds again. You could also try throwing treats for the dog (get sone treats - especially nice food - from the dog’s owners). If you throw them behind her she will have to turn away to get them which she will find easier. Do not try to hand them to her.
    As I say, the aim is to show you are not a threat to her. With time, she should learn this. Trying to push her out if the room, she may have seen as a confrontation which is why she bit you. Eventually, she should learn that you are a ‘good’ person and will learn to trust you. But it will probably take a little time.
    And, of course, the dog’s owners must take some responsibility - they should not put up you in a position where this dog might bite you. But they must NOT shout at her fir barking, or punish her. As I say, she is doing what she’s doing because she is afraid of you for some reason (and we will never know why). It might make no sense to you (I’m sure you are a very nice person), but that is irrelevant: the battle now is to make GER understand that you are a nice person.
    I hope that makes sense and good luck,

3. Kajiyama VK

Makes a lot of sense, actually.
    Unfortunately - at first, my family was trying to calm her with strokes. As I said that it wasn't a good idea, they stopped. But they want to do something - they are getting upset with all the barking...and they punish her somehow. But let's wait right? I'm doing absolutely nothing. I cannot back away - she's actually chasing me with all this barking... lol. She just stops when my brother comes and starts to punish her (with some verbal commands).

4. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

By “punishing her” with verbal commands, do you mean shouting at her? That’s a really bad idea! The dog is not doing anything wrong. She is just giving a warning that she’s unhappy about something (as I said above). The answer is to respect that warning, not to shout at her. There is a real danger because some dogs when told off for barking or if they feel their warning is being ignored will just stop giving that warning. And the problem with that is that the dog may escalate to the next stage of warning off the ‘thing’ which can be a bite.

Kajiyama VK likes this.
  5. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

There is a thing called 'the ladder of aggression' which shows the stages an anxious or fearful dog goes through. Some of us feel it would be better to call it the ladder of anxiety, but it makes little difference. You will see that your dog has gone through several stages before it started barking (barking sits around the growling level, in my opinion), but often those behaviours are too subtle for humans to spot. I have attached a file which explains the 'ladder of anxiety'. And please tell your brother not to shout at the dog for barking - if nothing else it might just increase the dog's anxiety. It will certainly not make the dog feel better!

Barking is difficult though, because it can mean many things. It can mean that the dog is just frustrated (because she wants you to play, for example) or bcause she's excited. However, I get the impression that it's rather more 'aggressive' than that? Is there any other body language with the barking?

Attached Files:

#5 Ian246, Jun 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  6. Kajiyama VK

Yeap... you are probably right. When I have the chance, I'll talk with the guys here.

The real problems are my parents. They are in the 70's and really don't have patience with the dog. And it's really hard to teach new trick for old dogs (aka mom and dad lol). But I'll definitely try.

Thank you so much.

7. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

That’s ok. Good luck. I honestly think you need to give the dog time - I’m sure she’ll get used to you. But do please do the stuff I said first - avoid looking at her, don’t make her come to you (or you go to her). Let her work it out. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice