Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog barking at home

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Tom Field, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Tom Field

Tom Field PetForums Newbie

I have a 2 year old Cocker who's always been very excitable but over the past few months has become a problem with barking.

He usually has free roam of the kitchen and garden. If he hears anything from outside though, be that people walking, kids playing, particularly other dogs barking nearby, he goes off barking madly and running about.

We're tried various things, calming him down with fuss, a squirt bottle, even a bark collar, but all these have little effect and I think he sees these things now as part of the fun. Even if we bring him inside he can start barking again if he hears something outside.

I think he's overly protective of his territory, which is nice, but we just don't need the barking as it's upsetting us and neighbours.

Anyone have a solid idea of what's wrong or that we can try with him?

Thanks,
    Tom

2. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

I don't think there is anything wrong with him - he is a normal dog doing normal dog things!

But to live in our human world, dogs need to learn and live with the rules and boundaries we set for them.
    It sounds like your dog had had too much freedom and has developed some habits which you have then tried to suppress with various methods unsuccessfully.

I have a dog that would have been exactly like yours but i took away the opportunities for her to practise behaviour i didn't want. So she doesn't get to jump up at the window at all. Or she would bark. She is desperate to, and she sits and cranes her neck up but she has learned that rule.

She goes in a covered crate when i am out with a radio on. She never developed a habit of running round barking.

So prevention is easier than cure.

Has your dog ever had a crate?

You can't really calm a dog down with a fuss - a fuss tells the dog you like the behaviour. Your squirty bottles excite him.

What you need is the powerful ignore.

There are so many practice exercises to train calm and I'm sure someone will come and post some links to them. I am a book reader so useless on knowing where this stuff is online.

The basic principle though is to create a situation that would normally trigger barking (have someone ring your bell or have a chat outside your window) and you would restrict your dog from leaping all over by having it on a lead but you wouldn't engage your dog when its barking. You wait for a break in the barking and then throw a treat down.

And you keep them ringing that door bell until your dog is totally bored with it and just looks for the treat (over several sessions)

So that's just an idea of the sort of thing that could work.

A lot of people on here like kikopup and if you look her up online and see what she has there on training calm you will be going in the right direction

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice