Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

dog barking at everything

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by PinkEars, Jun 7, 2010.

1. PinkEars

PinkEars PetForums VIP

Hi all

I'm yet again asking for advice. I live in a one bedroom 1st floor flat and am surrounded by quite alot of dogs on the close.

Lola my highly strung pooch barks all the time. She will be fast asleep and she will hear another dog bark once and she will jump up and start ranting! There is another flat accross the corridor and the guy when he comes in up the stairs sets her off...she starts barking and growling and jumping at my front door. I know this is relatively normal behavior for a dog to bark at other dogs and when people pass the house etc but its getting excessive.

When she stays around my parents house people can walk past the front and she will bark and rant at anything she sees. She is not always the first dog to start the barking but she certainly is always the last to stop!

Any advice on stopping her barking and growlling at innocent people passing?

Thanks

Hannah

2. Montys_Mum

Montys_Mum PetForums Member

Can she see the other dogs? Perhaps closing curtains etc so she can't see them for a bit may help? So that she can't see them, then when she can if she barks - close curtains again. So she learns she can only see them if she is quiet.

Or sit with her, and distract with treats and toys when other dogs/people are nearby and reward for being quiet. Keep her attention on you. Do this when you are out walking too, so she associates other dogs with being quiet and getting treated.

Teach her the speak command, so she learns to speak and then be quiet on command. Then when she barks, you can instruct her to be quiet.

Just a couple of ideas I picked up on various dog training shows, might be useful?

3. PinkEars

PinkEars PetForums VIP

Hi

Thanks for your response.

Sometimes she can see them when around my mums oh and when she is in the car she is even worse as soon as she sees a dog she goes mad barking, or a bike or a motorbike.

When in the flat she can't see them its just barking and generally people coming in and out and moving around that she reacts too.

I have heard about the teaching her to speak command and then to be quiet before but i am not sure how to do it....The first reaction is to shout No or something like that which i know would be adding to her barking. How do i teach her to bark?

I do alot of the treat rewarding when i am out as she has had aggressive issues. She is getting much better off the lead and i am often giving her possitive feedback with treats etc for being quiet and not being aggressive. It doesnt seem to work in the house or when on the lead so much not really sure why...

Thanks

Hannah

4. Montys_Mum

Montys_Mum PetForums Member

When we were looking into training Monty to speak, we found out that one way is to make him annoyed enough to bark. So we'd show him a treat and hold it back, say 'Speak' until he barked, then treated him. Therefore he got the idea to bark.
    Then to quiet, similar thing, either use hand signals and/or voice to quiet, as soon as he stops barking, treat.
    We found with Monty that getting him to bark was no problem, being quiet wasn't quite working lol We are lucky in that Monty doesn't bark too much, only when frustrated or demanding and we do our best to ignore so he doesn't get praise for it.

I saw a training show where they covered the inside of the car, so the dogs couldn't see out, then uncovered a bit, if the dogs barked, it got recovered etc. That helped teach the dogs that barking didn't get them anything, and if they wanted to see what was going on, they had to be quiet.

5. PinkEars

PinkEars PetForums VIP

I think i saw that in the car dog training too. I am going on a long trip to the peak district next week so i might give it a go. The only difficulty is being able to take it down as she is confined to the boot area with dog guard...we will sort something out though im sure!

Thanks very much, ill give the talking a go too! I am sure she will be very good at that part too! lol

Thanks

6. vivienne

vivienne PetForums Junior

As someone on the receiving end of excessive dog barking I hope you can nip it in the bud because it could prove problematic if your neighbours start to complain. It really can be most annoying and stressful.
    Two different neighbours both had dogs that barked at us when we walked around our garden. Both accepted there was a problem and were very apologetic but seemed unable to stop it. So we used the "rattle tin" method, i.e. as soon as the dog uttered a bark at us it got a shake of the tin(an old tin tea caddy with nails in) it worked I am pleased to say.
    With one dog it took about 5 rattles for it to associate action and consequence and no longer barks at us.
    It worked with the other one too but it does need occasional reminders.

7. PinkEars

PinkEars PetForums VIP

Thanks Viviene its nice to get the other sides opinion on it.

Maybe we can come back to doing something like this. Unfortunatly we have tried a few things similar...squirting water in her face...which eventually she just was naughty, we would squirt and she would just open her mouth and loved it but it didnt stop her from being naughty in the first place. We also tried a bottle with small stones in that made a racket when you shook it similar to what you are suggesting and she just got excited and wanted it to play with! This was a few months ago though before behaviorist came in so maybe its something we can try again!

Thanks

Hannah

8. Delboy

Delboy Banned

There is a product called PET CORRECTOR it does a similar job to the tin and stones but just more convenient it is an aerosol spray that give out a loud hiss that should distracted the dog and stop him from barking long enough for you to praise him and give him a treat, it worked for me but you must be quick with the praise and the treat, or read up on clicker training. :thumbup:

9. vivienne

vivienne PetForums Junior

It needs to be something that make an unpleasant noise and stops the dog in its tracks. Perhaps your tin sound more like a treat tin rattling! I don't know, you could try something else .It needs to be something that makes a short sharp unpleasant sound.
    It worked for me with two different dogs so it can work.

10. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

11. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

My dog Toby used to bark at the door alot but we taught him (using clicker training) to come to me & sit rather than keep barking.
    I used to shout at him to shut up but it never worked. It didn't take that long for his behaviour to start to change.
    There's quite a few short training videos on YouTube that were really useful to me & this site was also previously recommend as there's LOADS of good stuff on here .....

Free DOg Training Video Tutorials

I (personally) would start with positive reinforcement training rather than using a pet corrector which could just end up scaring your dog.

12. PinkEars

PinkEars PetForums VIP

Hi All

thanks very much for all your suggestions! We have tried a few things and she did kind of react positively last night. Unfortunatly she is off to my mother until saturday so i won't be able to continue until i get her back.

At the moment i am in a first floor flat so normally there she is just barking at other dogs she hears in the neighbourhood...there are quite a few so it can be a bit of a nightmare when they all start. The other is when the guy in the flat next door comes home, she hears him put the keys in downstairs and walk up and then open his door and for that whole time she is barking and ranting quite aggressively. Also the tv if there is a dog, cat, bike or elephant lol on the tv that makes a noise she will start barking and jumping at the TV.

Last night we had a can of compressed air so its not really a loud noise just puffing air at her. She went of on a rant as the neighbour came in we sprayed it and she stopped but then started barking at us! lol buuuuut we had distracted her and as soon as she stopped barking we praised her. Then later on a few dogs kept barking on the tv she barked again, i sprayed it, she didnt bark at me just stopped and she kind of sniffed towards it to see what happened....we again praised her when she stopped. The dogs on the tv continued to bark and Lola just gave a few little oofs and when she was quiet we kept praising her! It was quite a positive response all things considered. I think when back i will continue with this.

The other issue is when she can see the dogs or bikes mainly in the car or around my parents through the front window...it would be impossible to apply the same technique on these occations so if anyone has any tips for this that would be great?

Thanks

Hannah

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice