Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog attacked by on lead dog

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Shona McKeown, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Shona McKeown

Shona McKeown PetForums Newbie

Hi all,
    My Labrador was on the beach earlier, and he is always fine off the lead. Yesterday, he was attacked by a pitbull. Although the pitbull was on the lead, I am wondering if it’s fair for my dog to be kept on the lead for the actions of another dog, or if I was in the wrong to let him off his lead? It hasn’t knocked my dog’s confidence, but his has knocked my family’s and I. Just wondering what to do next- any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    thank you!

#1 Shona McKeown, Mar 6, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  2. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I’m a bit confused by your post. The title says that dog was attacked by on lead dog, then in the post you say that the ‘pitbull’ was off lead, was it just a typo?
    I presume you are not in the UK as pitbulls are a banned breed.

It is good dog walking manners to not allow your off lead dog to approach an onlead dog. There are many reasons why a dog is on a lead, it could be elderly and frail, deaf and or blind, recovering from an injury or operation, poor recall or as you found out, doesn’t like other dogs.

You don’t have to keep your dog on a lead all the time, just improve his recall so that when you see an onlead dog approaching you can call your dog back and put him on a lead until you have passed each other

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice