UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Dog attack while out walking.

12K views 133 replies 23 participants last post by  Racer73 
#1 ·
A nightmare scenario is being out with your clients' dogs and a lone aggressive dog attacks. What do dog walkers do in this situation? Does anyone carry one of those sound repellent devices and if so, do they work? If you have your hands full with four or five dogs on leads, how do you deal with the aggressive dog who is hellbent on a fight?

G
#2 ·
I wouldn’t walk more dogs than I could comfortably control personally.

Ideally I would want the dogs I’m in charge of to get behind me so I can deal with the problem dog. But at the very least, if you’re going to use a device like a noisemaker as a deterrent, you’re going to need to have one free hand. If you’re struggling to control the dogs, you won’t have a free hand. Does that make sense?

My preferred method for getting rid of problem dogs is to toss a big handful of treats at them. I toss them close enough that the dog notices and knows it’s food, but far enough away to give me decent distance and so that the treats scatter somewhat so the dog stays busy cleaning them up.
Now I have time to increase the distance and get away from the offending dog.

#5 ·
I wouldn’t walk more dogs than I could comfortably control personally.

Ideally I would want the dogs I’m in charge of to get behind me so I can deal with the problem dog. But at the very least, if you’re going to use a device like a noisemaker as a deterrent, you’re going to need to have one free hand. If you’re struggling to control the dogs, you won’t have a free hand. Does that make sense?

My preferred method for getting rid of problem dogs is to toss a big handful of treats at them. I toss them close enough that the dog notices and knows it’s food, but far enough away to give me decent distance and so that the treats scatter somewhat so the dog stays busy cleaning them up.
Now I have time to increase the distance and get away from the offending dog.
What do you mean by 'comfortably control'? How many dogs is your limit? I have one dog of my own but I've had two in the past and I know how clumsy holding more than one dog on a lead makes you. Throwing dog treats to distract the attacker is a good idea but what if that fails? Any other methods?

#6 · (Edited)
Yes but in an emergency situation you have to take drastic action. My number one priority would be to deter the attacking dog. If I don't use a sonic repellent, what do you suggest?
Firstly I would never walk that many dogs at the same time. if I was so fearful of not having control and I did feel the need to resort to carrying any form of deterrent, it would be a simple bottle of water. I have squirted my drinking bottle at a dog that would not back down with good effect. I have also shouted and stamped my foot to quite good effect!. And my dog has also been attacked so maybe I know jack sh*t on the subject.

G
#7 ·
What do you mean by 'comfortably control'? How many dogs is your limit? I have one dog of my own but I've had two in the past and I know how clumsy holding more than one dog on a lead makes you. Throwing dog treats to distract the attacker is a good idea but what if that fails? Any other methods?
Comfortably control means that you can control your own dogs enough to be able to deal with the oncoming dog.

Limit depends on the dogs, their training, their temperament, the handler, the handler’s skills, and relationship with the dogs.

Your OP referred to having your hands full with four or five dogs on leads. If you have your hands full with those dogs, you won’t be able to deal with the oncoming dog no matter what the method.

#8 ·
Comfortably control means that you can control your own dogs enough to be able to deal with the oncoming dog.

Limit depends on the dogs, their training, their temperament, the handler, the handler's skills, and relationship with the dogs.

Your OP referred to having your hands full with four or five dogs on leads. If you have your hands full with those dogs, you won't be able to deal with the oncoming dog no matter what the method.
Depending both on your own dog and the attacking dog, ONE might be more than you can comfortably control! I think that this advice is good as far as it goes, but doesn't go far.

Sorry, Espada, I'm not much help - this is my great fear, too - that my dog will be the subject of an attack (and I only walk one at a time these days due to a neck problem).

I have considered (but haven't yet got round to doing this) carrying a small spray bottle of perfume with me. It could be sprayed into the eyes of an attacking dog giving enough time to get my own out of the way. I know from experience (I am very clumsy) that having perfume sprayed into your eyes hurts like hell but doesn't seem to do lasting damage.

Are you in a situation where this is likely to happen, or has is happened before and you were in great difficulty? Or are you just trying to be prepared for everything?

I think one problem would be if your little bunch of dogs then decided to go in en masse against the aggressor, or if they turned on each other from over-excitement. Is there any way you can avoid areas where there might be aggressive or over-friendly unleashed dogs bounding over to you?

#9 ·
This is something every dog walker should have a risk assessment for - so you asses the risk, take steps to avoid, and have a plan should it happen. I realise that's what you are here for.

I don't find having dogs on leads makes me clumsy, but I have a lot of practise. Dog walking is very slow to build up, so you will get time to gain experience as you'll start with one dog, then two, then three etc.

I have only ever had one serious dog 'attack' in the years I've been walking multiple dogs, and that time I happened to be walking along a path with another two owners and their dogs, so the problem was dealt with very swiftly.

Recently another 'professional' dog walker's client ran over and had a pop at a dog we were walking on lead - again there were two of us so I verbally controlled the off lead dogs - although two were only interested in keeping out of the way, so it only left one for me to tell not to get involved, and I got in the way of the incoming dog while the other walker moved the on lead dog away.

That's part of the risk assessment, I knew the on lead dog was challenging (although not aggressive) so I took an extra person out with me - we still had our usual amount of 4 dogs. Had I been on my own with those four I would have struggled.

So work out with your risk assessment how many dogs you can safely manage in any emergency, medical, aggressive dogs, lost dogs, etc and stick to that - the number might change depending on the character of the dogs. You can also work out where you are most likely to be able to walk with the least risk, and do some courses on canine body language and communication because being able to read dogs will give you a lot of information to let you avoid problems.

I wouldn't throw treats at strange dogs when you are walking other people's dogs because in my experience you can't get as much control as you want because as a dog walker you can't fully train them to behave in the way you want, and they'd run off towards the treats, taking them into danger.

Stay calm, keep walking away, keep control of the dogs you are handling is the only advice I can give on a forum. It is a rare dog that will head into an unknown pack of dogs and immediately attack - I've had one in 8 years. The one recently that went for one of our dogs I suspect reacted badly to the onlead dog trying to jump on him when he got too close, rather than came over with the intent to start trouble.

#10 ·
Spraying perfume is a fantastic idea.

Of course you first have to get the perfume out of wherever it is carried, take the top off, ensure the wind is in the right direction and of course ensure your own dog(s) is not close to you or in the way (as the distance perfume will travel is very small).

There are plenty of ways of getting rid of space invaders whatever their intent.

This is one of (many) concerns I have with every Tom, Dick and Harry setting themselves up as dog walkers.

Many appear to have little or no experience with well behaved dogs let alone those which are not, no training in anything, no First Aid Certificate, Insurance, adequate vehicle, Emergency Procedures plans etc.

As previously stated, if you are that concerned about the possibilities (as opposed to probabilities of) "a lone aggressive dog" perhaps dog walking is not for you.

I would be MORE worried if there were MORE than ONE aggressive dog, but that appears not to have been considered..................... odd.

#11 ·

Of course you first have to get the perfume out of wherever it is carried, take the top off, ensure the wind is in the right direction and of course ensure your own dog(s) is not close to you or in the way (as the distance perfume will travel is very small).

There are plenty of ways of getting rid of space invaders whatever their intent.

This is one of (many) concerns I have with every Tom, Dick and Harry setting themselves up as dog walkers.

Many appear to have little or no experience with well behaved dogs let alone those which are not, no training in anything, no First Aid Certificate, Insurance, adequate vehicle, Emergency Procedures plans etc.

As previously stated, if you are that concerned about the possibilities (as opposed to probabilities of) "a lone aggressive dog" perhaps dog walking is not for you.

I would be MORE worried if there were MORE than ONE aggressive dog, but that appears not to have been considered..................... odd.
I'd like to point out that I've had dogs all my life. I came from a household where we always had dogs and as an adult I've always had dogs. This is one of the reasons why I'm interested in becoming a dog walker. It's also a reason why I'm trying to do it right and gather as much information as I can before I take the plunge. Walking your own dogs that you know, trust and have trained is one thing but walking other people's dogs is something completely different. I could have a pack of dogs with totally different characters - one nervous, one disobedient, one excited etc. You say if I'm concerned about dog attack maybe dog walking isn't for me. I'd suggest the exact opposite - if someone goes into dog walking WITHOUT worrying or thinking about the possibilities of dog attack, then I think they're the ones who ought to be questioned. Like most dog owners with experience, I've had an aggressive, off the leash dog race over at my dog. Having just the one dog means I have my dominant arm and hand ready to defend her. Dog attack can and does happen and I think it'd be totally irresponsible of me to start up in the business of dog walking without first having some defensive plans in place. One of the many roles of a dog walker (in my opinion) is that of a body guard. I'd see other people's dogs as my clients and it's up to me to get them all home safely. This is why dog attack worries me. Being worried doesn't necessarily mean you're a 'Tom, Dick or Harry' incapable of doing a job, it often means you care enough to arm yourself with enough information to eliminate the problem or at least deal with it should it arise.
We're not all opportunists wanting to make a quick buck out of walking dogs. I'd have thought that most people who take the time and effort to ask questions on a forum like this are the ones who want to do a good job.

#12 ·

Limit depends on the dogs, their training, their temperament, the handler, the handler’s skills, and relationship with the dogs.

Your OP referred to having your hands full with four or five dogs on leads. If you have your hands full with those dogs, you won’t be able to deal with the oncoming dog no matter what the method.
But if I had five dogs on the leash (as I would unless I was absolutely sure that they could be trusted off the leash), you would literally have your hands full. I don't know of anyone who can operate to their full potential while holding onto 200 kilos of excited or panicking dogs. You have to admit that your ability to defend yourself and the dogs is compromised by the basic fact that you are having to juggle four or five moving and pulling dogs at the same time.
I have a friend (a responsible dog owner) who has a Vizsla. He was out walking him one day (in a generally quiet safe area) when a very aggressive Boxer dog came from behind and jumped on him (the Vizsla). My friend (a burly six footer) had a hell of a job to separate them. The Boxer was in a frenzy and totally fearless. Thankfully he managed to drag the Boxer away but his Vizsla suffered some pretty nasty bite wounds. So these incidents do happen and anyone who is blasé about this needs a reality check.

G
#13 ·
I'd like to point out that I've had dogs all my life. I came from a household where we always had dogs and as an adult I've always had dogs.
I’ve had a vagina my whole life. Doesn’t make me a gynecologist ;)

I think the advice to take courses in training, first aid, emergency protocols etc., is very sound. I believe BoredomBusters offers courses on setting up a dog walking business. You may want to check her out.

But if I had five dogs on the leash (as I would unless I was absolutely sure that they could be trusted off the leash), you would literally have your hands full. I don't know of anyone who can operate to their full potential while holding onto 200 kilos of excited or panicking dogs. You have to admit that your ability to defend yourself and the dogs is compromised by the basic fact that you are having to juggle four or five moving and pulling dogs at the same time.
I walk a great dane and an 80 pound mutt dog daily, and never consider their combined weight. I “walk” horses all the time and again, don’t consider their weight. Control is not about being able to physically overpower a dog, it’s about your ability to communicate with the dog in a way they will understand and cooperate. Obviously this isn’t going to happen until you have a relationship established with that dog, which is why if I were a dog walker (which I’m not BTW), I would take a new dog out on his/her own for the first few sessions until we had a good working relationship and I had a better idea about that dog’s temperament, personality, training, etc.

I have a friend (a responsible dog owner) who has a Vizsla. He was out walking him one day (in a generally quiet safe area) when a very aggressive Boxer dog came from behind and jumped on him (the Vizsla). My friend (a burly six footer) had a hell of a job to separate them. The Boxer was in a frenzy and totally fearless. Thankfully he managed to drag the Boxer away but his Vizsla suffered some pretty nasty bite wounds. So these incidents do happen and anyone who is blasé about this needs a reality check.
Of course this sort of thing does happen (sometimes inevitably). I don’t think anyone is being blasé about it? But I also think some intelligent risk assessment and knowledgeable precautions minimize the risk of this sort of incident considerably.

#14 ·

Ok, just to appease the pedantic out there, what do professional dog walkers do if - while out walking four or five dogs belonging to a client- a lone aggressive dog OR a more than one aggressive dog races toward you and is clearly intent on attacking your dog or dogs.

G
#15 ·
Nicole Silvers makes a great analogy about these emergency situations in dog training/handling.

The whole question about what do you do when the worst case scenario happens is a bit like asking what do you do when you drive your car off a cliff. At the point where you’ve driven off the cliff, there’s not a whole lot too do other than hang on tight and hope you land with minimal damage.
However, there is a whole lot you can do leading up to the point where you sail off the road in to the abyss. You can make sure the car is in good working order, drive safely, don’t speed, steer through the turns, keep your eye on the road, stay aware of your surroundings and avoid distractions... All sorts of things to avoid going off the cliff to begin with.

Same thing with dogs. Every time I’ve been in a “drive off the cliff” moment with my dogs, I can look back and see places where I could have done something different. Each situation gives me information for how to prevent this sort of thing next time.

#16 ·
I’ve had a vagina my whole life. Doesn’t make me a gynecologist ;)

I think the advice to take courses in training, first aid, emergency protocols etc., is very sound. I believe BoredomBusters offers courses on setting up a dog walking business. You may want to check her out.

I walk a great dane and an 80 pound mutt dog daily, and never consider their combined weight. I “walk” horses all the time and again, don’t consider their weight. Control is not about being able to physically overpower a dog, it’s about your ability to communicate with the dog in a way they will understand and cooperate. Obviously this isn’t going to happen until you have a relationship established with that dog, which is why if I were a dog walker (which I’m not BTW), I would take a new dog out on his/her own for the first few sessions until we had a good working relationship and I had a better idea about that dog’s temperament, personality, training, etc.

Of course this sort of thing does happen (sometimes inevitably). I don’t think anyone is being blasé about it? But I also think some intelligent risk assessment and knowledgeable precautions minimize the risk of this sort of incident considerably.
I don't think people understand the exact concern I'm raising. I understand the defensive actions you can take in order to avoid an attack but I'm talking about that one lone dog (or pack of dogs, for the pedantic out there) who ARE hellbent on attacking your dog/dogs. It DOES happen! When all your defensive methods have failed and the maniac dog is charging at you like a rabid rhino. I want to know what dog walkers do as a last line of defence (if anything - I'm begining to wonder whether some people just stand and watch). When that pit bull belonging to the lager guzzling thug comes out of nowhere, what do people do?
Personally I respect the person who suggested carrying hair spray. At least they're trying to think of a way to defend themselves should the most extreme situation arise, instead of thinking their superior dog control skills will save the day (I assure you they won't). I'm considering those anti-attack devices that spray red fluid at the aggressor. They may not work but maybe they will - maybe they'll just give you enough time to get away from the danger. I feel something is always better than nothing.
I understand the humour behind your vagina quip but I was just explaining that I've always had dogs, in order to dispel the assumption (made in an earlier post) that everyone else is a 'Tom, Dick or Harry'. Personally I'm wary of the ones who think they know it all. None of us know it all. My dog is very well trained, well behaved and obeys my commands but I'd be a fool to assume she wouldn't do anything unexpected. We can train dogs but we can't get inside their minds. Being worried and prepared for the most dire situation is the sign of a good dog walker, in my opinion. I certainly wouldn't offer my dog to someone who thinks his superior dog control skills are enough - they're not! One day you'll come into contact with the dog that doesn't give a s*** about dog school. That's life!

#134 ·
I understand completely what your saying I'm thinking of getting a dog behaviour device and body cam I have a 6 month jackchi which has already been attacked once by a retriever type dog owner was blasé about the whole thing which made me mad and all the while she was being attacked (pinned to the floor I stood dumbstruck and totally use less) I kicked the dog but didn't back off I am totally destroyed for future walks and feel I've failed as a doggy parent I've also had dogs my whole life so can relate to your fears 100 percent

#17 ·
I don't think people understand the exact concern I'm raising. I understand the defensive actions you can take in order to avoid an attack but I'm talking about that one lone dog (or pack of dogs, for the pedantic out there) who ARE hellbent on attacking your dog/dogs. It DOES happen! When all your defensive methods have failed and the maniac dog is charging at you like a rabid rhino. I want to know what dog walkers do as a last line of defence (if anything - I'm begining to wonder whether some people just stand and watch). When that pit bull belonging to the lager guzzling thug comes out of nowhere, what do people do?
Personally I respect the person who suggested carrying hair spray. At least they're trying to think of a way to defend themselves should the most extreme situation arise, instead of thinking their superior dog control skills will save the day (I assure you they won't). I'm considering those anti-attack devices that spray red fluid at the aggressor. They may not work but maybe they will - maybe they'll just give you enough time to get away from the danger. I feel something is always better than nothing.
I understand the humour behind your vagina quip but I was just explaining that I've always had dogs, in order to dispel the assumption (made in an earlier post) that everyone else is a 'Tom, Dick or Harry'. Personally I'm wary of the ones who think they know it all. None of us know it all. My dog is very well trained, well behaved and obeys my commands but I'd be a fool to assume she wouldn't do anything unexpected. We can train dogs but we can't get inside their minds. Being worried and prepared for the most dire situation is the sign of a good dog walker, in my opinion. I certainly wouldn't offer my dog to someone who thinks his superior dog control skills are enough - they're not! One day you'll come into contact with the dog that doesn't give a s*** about dog school. That's life!
As you appear to be vastly superior to all of us with your assertion (in bold) I fail to understand why you need to come onto this forum and ask a lot of strangers what they would do.

FYI "dog handling skills" come into play not only with one's OWN dogs or those of clients but those of strangers, that is why they are called "skills" ;)

I was going to go out but I may be killed by a plane falling out of the sky and I am so worried and ill prepared for such an eventuality I better stay indoors.

Some of us have experience with dogs "outside" the "dog school" environment love. ;)

G
#18 ·
Oh for crying out loud, get a grip....

When you come back to reality, re-read the thread. There have been many good suggestions mentioned for what to do both as prevention and in the moment.

#19 · (Edited)
I do kind of understand where you are coming from Espada,
I am a very experienced dog owner.I literally grew up with dogs. I learnt to walk holding onto my collie. I have dealt with dogs with some real issues and turned them around.
BUT....
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Fawn

Dog Collar Carnivore Dog breed Dalmatian

Eye Human body Whiskers Grey Carnivore

Dog Eye Carnivore Dog breed Jaw

This was a completely unprovoked attack, the damage to my lovely boy was awful. The owner of the other dog, supposedly runs his own training school. Although he still denies his dog did anything!!! It happens. How you handle it at the time can not be planned. Being aware of the potential danger is the best you can do ~IMVHO

Attachments

#20 ·
The trouble is there is no one answer to this question.

Firstly you don't just bung 4 or 5 exciteable, pulling dogs together for an on-lead walk. You get to know your dogs and walk compatible dogs together and you also consider their temperaments and level of obedience.

If I had 4 or 5 dogs on the lead together, then the chances are I would be letting some of them off and would be in a fairly secure area. If by some chance an aggressive dog suddenly appeared without me having noticed before and taken avoidance action, the dog still can't charge and attack all dogs at once! The chances are I would drop the leads and deal with the perpetrator.

Most of the dogs I walk in groups, have good communication skills and will likely be able to diffuse or avoid conflict. They all must respond to basic commands from me. If they don't have these skills then they are walked alone or in pairs. Dogs are only put into a group walk once I have bonded with them and they know to trust me. Therefore, if they are frightened by something they run TO me, not AWAY from me.

I have only had one sudden aggressive 'attack' that I was unable to forsee as the dog came around a corner and charged. I only had one dog with me, on the lead and no harm resulted from the resultant 'fight'. If I had other dogs with me at the time on the lead, I doubt the outcome would have been any different.

I can count on one hand other MINOR incidents that have occurred between other dogs and clients' dogs in 9 years walking dogs. You can only be aware, know your dogs and take sensible precautions (usually steering well clear of other people's dogs that don't appear to be under the control of the owner). If the worst comes to the worst keep calm!

#21 ·
I do understand your need to feel prepared, but every scenario is different and at least two experienced professional dog walkers have told you how rare it is to actually have a situation arise that can't be managed reasonably easily if you have done an assessment of the risks - and that includes no stereotyping! The dog that attacked Beauty was owned by a posh woman who lived in a massive house and drove a range rover! No lager thugs in sight.

I would not carry anything to spray or throw at or hit an attacking dog. Although most dogs that want to attack another dog aren't interested in people there is the risk that any action will inflame the dog to redirect on to you.

#22 ·
I do kind of understand where you are coming from Espada,
I am a very experienced dog owner.I literally grew up with dogs. I learnt to walk holding onto my collie. I have dealt with dogs with some real issues and turned them around.
BUT....
View attachment 148302

View attachment 148303

View attachment 148305

View attachment 148306
This was a completely unprovoked attack, the damage to my lovely boy was awful. The owner of the other dog, supposedly runs his own training school. Although he still denies his dog did anything!!! It happens. How you handle it at the time can not be planned. Being aware of the potential danger is the best you can do ~IMVHO
Horrible! Particularly when the other person denies responsibility - I can see why you are anxious about being attacked.

G
#23 ·
The trouble is there is no one answer to this question.

Firstly you don't just bung 4 or 5 exciteable, pulling dogs together for an on-lead walk. You get to know your dogs and walk compatible dogs together and you also consider their temperaments and level of obedience.

If I had 4 or 5 dogs on the lead together, then the chances are I would be letting some of them off and would be in a fairly secure area. If by some chance an aggressive dog suddenly appeared without me having noticed before and taken avoidance action, the dog still can't charge and attack all dogs at once! The chances are I would drop the leads and deal with the perpetrator.

Most of the dogs I walk in groups, have good communication skills and will likely be able to diffuse or avoid conflict. They all must respond to basic commands from me. If they don't have these skills then they are walked alone or in pairs. Dogs are only put into a group walk once I have bonded with them and they know to trust me. Therefore, if they are frightened by something they run TO me, not AWAY from me.

I have only had one sudden aggressive 'attack' that I was unable to forsee as the dog came around a corner and charged. I only had one dog with me, on the lead and no harm resulted from the resultant 'fight'. If I had other dogs with me at the time on the lead, I doubt the outcome would have been any different.

I can count on one hand other MINOR incidents that have occurred between other dogs and clients' dogs in 9 years walking dogs. You can only be aware, know your dogs and take sensible precautions (usually steering well clear of other people's dogs that don't appear to be under the control of the owner). If the worst comes to the worst keep calm!
The bolded is an especially good point, and one often overlooked. A dog with good skills can often pre-empt and diffuse situations exceptionally well. We all know those dogs - the ones that turn a posturing dog in to a deflated balloon with just a look.
Conversely there are also those dogs who seem to have a “kick me” sign on them and seem to invite attack by merely existing.

A smart dog walker will learn his/her charges and try to set up walks with combinations of dog personalities that work well together and also keep everyone safe. Added bonus is that walking with a dog with good dog skills is a great way for dogs with not so good skills to learn better ones.

#24 ·
I'm fairly new to this forum, but I am a little perplexed as to why someone asking a genuine question was given such a hard time.
As I have one of those dogs who have “kick me” written all over them, and who has been attacked twice in the last year, I read this thread with interest, to see what advice experienced dog walkers offered.

There has been some very good advice. Thank you :)

And I understand the annoyance that members here have with 'every tom, dick and harry' setting themselves up as dog walkers. I worry about that too.
But there was no need to have a go at the OP for this. They asked a question that some of us would like to know the answer to. Shame it appears it isn't that easy, but thanks Espada for asking. :)

#25 ·
The bolded is an especially good point, and one often overlooked. A dog with good skills can often pre-empt and diffuse situations exceptionally well. We all know those dogs - the ones that turn a posturing dog in to a deflated balloon with just a look.
Conversely there are also those dogs who seem to have a “kick me” sign on them and seem to invite attack by merely existing.

A smart dog walker will learn his/her charges and try to set up walks with combinations of dog personalities that work well together and also keep everyone safe. Added bonus is that walking with a dog with good dog skills is a great way for dogs with not so good skills to learn better ones.

I walk a collie that used to be quite reactive with other dogs. By gradually integrating him with skilled dogs his reactivity has become almost non-existent. He is very obedient but lacked some confidence.

He was charged by two off-lead dogs when I was walking him on-lead. He had noticed the dogs and moved to the far side of me and averted eye contact. I noticed them and his discomfort, so was ready to block them as soon as it happened. He totally left them in my hands without so much as a growl. I was so proud of him.

Another dog that I frequently walk in a group takes it upon himself to intercept 'outside' dogs that approach the group. He is a very laid back but confident dog that seems to like to look out for the group.

#26 ·
My grandfather use to breed and train Dobermans for protection work and he swears by a bucket of water to separate fighting dogs. A bucket's not easy to take on a walk so a good water gun should help in a pinch.

I have dogs for day-care and walks and always have a water gun handy.

I also set my walks up with great care so as to minimise behavioural or personality clashes. If I have to do an extra walk in a day then so be it. It's not often and worth it to ensure the safety of the dogs I look after.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.