Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog ate whole chicken! Bones and all!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by DogLover333, Sep 8, 2019.

1. DogLover333

DogLover333 PetForums Newbie

Please give me advice! I have a dog, cross with a labrador and a german shepherd. I am so worries about her as recently she has gotten into the kitchen and eaten a whole chicken, all the bones. She is showing signs of distress and heaving but nothing seems to help. Please give me advice... I can't bear the thought of losing my best friend

2. Little-moomin

Little-moomin PetForums VIP

Call the out of hours vet...now!

margy, Lurcherlad and lullabydream like this.
  3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Or better still set off to the OOH vet clinic and get someone to call on the way . This is a major emergency !
    And let us know what happens.

margy and lullabydream like this.
  4. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Give as much WHITE bread as she will eat just now. This will coat the bones and help protect the intestine as the bones pass through. Keep an eye for bleeding.

Chances are your dog will pass this ok but keep under supervision and vet if needbe. Remember bleeding could be internal and you might not notice it so keep an eye on your dog appearing weak, collapse, vomiting or pooping blood. Anything like that will be an emergency night call to your vet.

Edited to add: i missed the bit about your dog showing distress, agree with the others. You need to call the vet now.

Do NOT induce vomiting. I take it this was cooked chicken?

#4 tabelmabel, Sep 9, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    lullabydream likes this.
  5. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

How did you get on at the Vets, I take it you have seen a Vet, hope everything went OK.

tabelmabel and lorilu like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice