Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

dog anxitey

Discussion in 'Dog Tricks and Games' started by joker26, Jun 10, 2017.

1. joker26

joker26 PetForums Newbie

Hi small 6 months old french
    bulldog his lovely nature.
    but when leave room for 5 mintues
    anytime really.he cries and barks.
    and dont no what to do anymore.
    ive tried diffrent things crate training leaveing radio On.
    trouble is naibours are clamplianing
    any one have any advice

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Go right back to basics with training him to be happy when left.

Give him a good walk so he is tired, set him up with a kong, bed, radio/tv etc. and literally walk out of the room for seconds and return (it has to be short enough that he doesn't get upset) and keep practising, slowly building up the time.

Pick up keys/put on coat but just sit down and watch TV so he stops associating that with being left which can be a trigger to stressing out.

I found it best to practise for some time every day as my lurcher seemed to regress on a Monday having been with us 24/7 at the weekend. It took 2-3 weeks of consistent, positive training to "fix" it into his brain that we were always going to come back! ;)

Consider if the crate helps or hinders - some dogs hate them. Try an open room secured by a baby gate, or free run of house, another room, etc. Make sure windows are covered in case outside activity is setting him off.

At first my lurcher ran around and worked himself up if given the while house, but hated to be shut in a single room. He started off with kitchen, hall stairs and landing where there was no access to windows for him and had everything he needed there, such as his bed, chew etc. Eventually he progressed to jumping onto my bed to wait for his chew when I was going out. He has the run of the house and my bed is his "go to" place now! ;)

How long is he left BTW?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice