Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog and Full time job

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by CharleyRogan, Jul 22, 2009.

1. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

Hey, I was wondering, how hard is it to cope with a dog and a full time job? I would love a dog once I have finished uni and got my teachers job. Is it fair to leave them on their own for 8+ hours a day? and do you have to pay a lot of money for a puppy around a year old ish? Cos I'd want a youngish dog but not a puppy, puppy if you know what I mean! :D

2. RowanWolf

RowanWolf PetForums Member

Personally I don't think it is fair to leave any animal for 8+ hours a day.
    You could get a pair for company but it is a long time to leave them.

3. Rebecca and the pack

Rebecca and the pack PetForums Junior

No. My uncle left Fudge for about 6 hours a day and it didnt bode well. Now he has someone all day, the lucky sod. He is much happier when someones around.

4. ColliePower

ColliePower PetForums Senior

It depends on everyones personal circumstance, but IMO I dont like leaving them.

My fiance and I work full time 8-5, but my fiance works in and around the community working with disabled people, so he works his clients to his own schedule, plus his client base in within a ten mile radius of our house, so therefore he goes home 3-4 times a day to take them out/spend time with them, if we both worked in offices all day I wouldn't have dogs, cos I personally would feel terrible leaving them too long, even tho they probably would be ok.

We have 4 dogs so yes they have company which helps when they are left.

5. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

I have 5 dogs and they are left all day (all rescues!!). They have garden access 24/7 via a dog flap and each other and are perfectly happy. They get 2 good long walks a day and I never go out in the week day evenings so my time is theirs when I'm home. I would never ever had a puppy while working but there are 100's of older rescue dogs that would be perfectly happy to have a loving home, even one that has to work..cos lets face it we all need to make a living!!

There are rescues that will rehome to working homes, as long as you have provision for someone to visit during lunchtime or like myself have a secure garden then I don't see why not. Better a dog in a working home than the alternative. :(

6. RowanWolf

You (to me) have special circumstances..I don't know many people who can have many dogs to keep each other company and who have completely safe access to a secure garden all day.
    It varies from dog to dog and the home and area of course..also rehoming varies. The centres round here generally don't like rehoming to people who will leave them for that many hours a day.
    (I've rehomed quite a few from around here in my life)
    I've never had the money/space/time to have more than a couple of dogs at once so I've not been in that position..but I've also never been in the position where no-one is home for that long.
    I still don't think it is very fair on one, or even possibly two animals to be left for 8 hours.

7. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

:D Just to clarify one thing..I have neither money/space or time :lol:.. if I didn't have the dogs and horse then I WOULD have money/space and time!! ;)

No I do agree it's not fair to leave them that long but I know alot of people who work and have dogs, it's not practical in this day and age to give a blanket no to rehoming to working families. Most do as I do and have secure garden access, or have either a dog walker or family member calling in to let the dog out in the middle of the day. Our rescue take each dog and each family on their own merit and match one to the other, obviously this isn't possible in large rescues or the major big charities. But the OP could very easily go out and buy a puppy and no one would be any the wiser if it's being left alone all day. So I'd rather direct her to a rescue organisation who would match the dog to her circumstances, thus rehoming a dog that otherwise could be PTS or worse left in kennels long term.

Believe me if I could afford to not work I would but until the lottery fairy deems to be kind to me, then I'll give the dogs the best life possible, which to be honest is better than the life that was offered. ;)

8. ColliePower

ColliePower PetForums Senior

JSR Thats lovely, I wish we had secure access to allow my dogs to go in and out all day at there leisure, you are very lucky :D

I totally agree rather dogs go to a working home, then no home :D

Mine too have a long run in morning, a couple of road walks in the day and another run in the evening, and im the same, in the evenings its mummy and pups time!!!!!!!!!!

9. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

It's the reason I bought the house!! Walked straight through it into the back garden, saw it had 8 foot stone walls along both sides and a stone build barn at the back and said 'I'll take it!' :D. Realised afterwards I'd not even looked upstairs!!:rolleyes: House needed totally gutting but it's a lovely little cottage and I can shut the dogs into the lounge and kitchen so they can't get to the upstairs and front room (so don't bark if anyone walks past). I love my little house it's tiny but it suits us. :D

I'm sure your dogs are perfectly happy with you, quality not quantity is my motto.;)

10. RowanWolf

I wish I had that kind of space.. but then I'd need a lottery win.. and then another to fund the staff I'd need to help me look after all my rescues! :D

11. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

It's not unfeasible - but you have to either bend over backwards to suit the needs or leave it for a few years until you have the circumstances to match.

If you could either get a property close to your school, so coming home for lunch is an option, or pay out for a dog walker each day. IMO 8hrs is too much.

12. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

I have several dogs and work full time. I intentionally work very close to home (5 mins drive) so i can go home at lunchtime and spend some time with the dogs. They get 2 walks a day and are all happy, content little people.

I dont agree with leaving a dog 8hours with no one seeing it at all, but if they're not left longer than about 4 hours without someone going in to see them then it is very workable :)

13. SemolinaPilchard

SemolinaPilchard PetForums Member

While i think leaving a dog for 8 hours is too long....it can and it does work for many people. It depends on many factors like what type & size of dog you choose, how much space you have, will you or someone else be able to pop round during the day to take it for a walk and/or feed/water it etc etc

Do lots of research before making this decision....the welfare of the dog is paramount :)

14. jayb09

jayb09 PetForums Newbie

Please think carefully about this my daughter is twenty three and fell in love with a boxer puppy took it home started full time work. Now minus one leather sofa two memory foam mattreses numorous pairs of shoes and ruined carpets and wooden floors. She tried for three years to keep him but is to tired to walk him and is very upset about letting him go . She will not leave him in the garage as this is also cruel .

15. Savahl

Savahl Guest

It depends alot on the dog, I work FT, as does my hubby - although he is off one weekday, and I finish early Fridays so he is only alone for 3 full days. We have no problem, he sleeps all day - never had any chewing or barking problems. but obviously this isnt right for all dogs. And if I had the money of course I would rather be at home with him all day! But someone has to buy his food ;)

16. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

You can make it work with the right dog, which a rehoming centre will help you with.

Under NO circumstances should you go and get a puppy. It is very unfair for a pup to be left alone. However an older rescue would prob be fine, plus you are doing a good deed as well x

17. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

Hey all, thanks for the info!

I really wouldn't want a puppy! I would want an older dog!

I have 1 year left after this one in uni, then to do a pgce - so 2 years really! I love the idea of rescuing a dog from a rescue place, and it giving it a life that it would never thought it would have.

I like the look of Dobe's, labradors, German Shepards, but I'm not sure what I would need for a large dog. I have a Cocker Spaniel at my dads, and he is lovely, but I would want a larger dog.

I also have to take into consideration, about my brother, he is autistic and would need a dog that was extremely loving and calm, or he wouldn't visit! This is why we got a puppy when we got our first dog, because we didn't know what a rescue dog would be like because they may have been mistreated before and may have been harder for my brother to accept.

I actually cannot wait till then :D I would love to get one now but it would just be really unfair at the moment!

18. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

my dogs are left at home alone most days, but it wasnt like that when we had them as i was a part time student and my mom only worked part time. but things changed. to be honset i think my dogs like the peace and quiet when everyone is out. before i moved out there were six people living there as well as the two dogs, not to mention all the kids mates etc so i definatly think they enjoy the break, plus they have each other for company as well as the ferret who likes to tease them. they are happy enough and no behaviour problems have resulted from it, they get food and a kong before we leave too to give them stuff to do.

19. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

My partner and i both worked full time when we adopted our 2 dogs and i'd just pop home during my lunch hour to let them out or a quick walk around the block. If i couldn't do that then i'd of probably used a dog walker instead. My dogs can be left about 7hrs, but i'd rather not do that every day and its easy to get stuck in traffic/caught up at work etc and be later than planned.

I'd also consider how much time you'll have morning/evening free and activity level, type of characteristics you'd like so that both the dog & you are happy. I can't do long walks and i like dogs that are quite calm, happy to laze about, loving but not wanting attention all the time and so greyhounds were ideal for me.

Grey's might be ok with your brother, i don't really know much about autism but we met an autistic lad & his mum while out one day.He was very smitten stroking Hector (who just stands still to be fussed) and his mum commented that it was the longest he'd ever stroked a dog for because while he loves dogs he was also scared when then moved to quickly towards him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice