Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog ambushed by three dogs and bit one!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Rosiee997, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Rosiee997

Rosiee997 PetForums Newbie

Hi all. Sorry for the long post.

A couple of weeks ago my dad was out walking our dog on the field by our house. He had our dog on the lead and stopped to chat with a lady with another dog.

A child of 10 years old (this has been confirmed) was walking a small spaniel on extendable lead and he let go off the whole lead, unsure as to why. The dog then came belting over towards our dog and my dad and started running circles around them both and entangled them with the lead that it was dragging behind. The kid came running over along with two of his friends, of similar ages, and their dogs. My dad asked the boy to catch his dog.

Now we've never had any problems with our dog and other dogs but believe that 3 strange dogs running up to off the lead him was overwhelming and he growled and ended up nipping the dog on the skin of it's neck leaving a small puncture.

The child then called his dad , who was on the field behind the one we were on, who came over. My dad waited until he came over so he could explain the situation. We then received a text later that night asking for the cost of the vet bill which was about £350.

I sent a text back and explained we did not feel liable for the vet costs as the dog, who was under control, ran up to our dog who was on a lead and next to my dad at all times.

We have now received a court letter demanding the money. I sent back the facts (as the guy even contradicted himself in his letter) and denied the claim. A couple of the paragraphs he sent admits his son of 10 years had the dog, that the lead came undone 'as they do' apparently and that he wasn't on the field at the time! We will now be going through mediation.

Of course we hope the dog is OK and we were shocked by this but do not feel liable considering the facts. If our dog was off the lead or even approached his dog we totally would pay the vet bills.

Just wondering what your opinions are on this ?

2. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I would speak to Trevor Cooper (or his colleague) at Dog Law who will be able to give you expert advice regarding your liability (or not) https://www.doglaw.co.uk/about-us/

LinznMilly, kittih, margy and 2 others like this.
  3. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

I would take advice from the above link - personally as the approaching dog was 'off lead' and generally out of control I don't think that the owners have a leg to stand on - the dog was being a nuisance to another dog - of course it got nipped. It happens all the time in parks across the country. But don't quote me ;)

You say you got a 'court letter' demanding money - is that a solicitors letter or have they applied to the small claims court? Either way you need advice as the owners of the dog are clearly more savvy and you will need to know how to answer!

J

lorilu, DaisyBluebell, margy and 3 others like this.
  4. Rosiee997

Super thank you @Cleo38

@Jamesgoeswalkies Exactly our thoughts. It has come from the Civil Money Claims Service so he has applied online. Although he sounds like one of those savvy types on paper , I don't think he really knows how to word things correctly as his whole letter completely contradicts himself! Thank you :)

lorilu and DaisyBluebell like this.
  5. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

It will cost them more to go to court than the cost of the vet bill. I'd not be admitting any liability. Definitely phone dog law for advice but I'd really not be worrying about it too much.

6. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

I think I would too take a stance against paying, as the dog was left in sole charge of a minor and was off lead and out of control, whilst your dog was on lead, have you spoken to the lady your dad was chatting too as having her as a witness could be useful too.

7. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

The law isn't always clear cut but Trevor C is the very best person to help in these incidents. I had to speak to him several years ago when my GSD was ambushed by a smaller dog who flew off a nearby boat & attacked her. It was awful & the owners of the other dog seemed to think my dog was at fault as she was the bigger one (no idea why that matters) & as their dog was injured in the scuffle (a minor cut) then I was at fault. I wasn't at all & got the best advice from Dog Law & would always make sure I have their number in my phone now in case of any future incidents where I may need advice.

8. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Hopefully the lady is a ''regular'' who OP's dad knows so there is at least a witness, otherwise it's one word against another.

Lurcherlad and MontyMaude like this.
  9. Rosiee997

@Cleo38 I just spoke to Dog's Law and they were absolutely amazing. He just gave me 10 minutes of advice free of charge and explained it all perfectly. Thanks so much! :)

@MontyMaude Thank you! That's what we think too. She handed her details over to my dad and said she's happy to be a witness should anything come of it. :)

We know we're doing the right thing and standing our ground just I seem to over worry about these things especially when it comes to our animals!

10. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

That's fantastic, glad it was helpful :)

JoanneF likes this.
  11. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

Thats excellent news for you. Take copies of absolutely everything and hand nothing over that you have not copied ! Chances are this will not go any further and the other party was just trying it on. As already mentioned it will cost them money to take it to small claims court as well as the vet bill. Should it come to it have all your paperwork ready including the lady witnesses written statement (if possible see if should would be will to appear to read out her own statement). Point out that the lead tangling your dads legs could well have cause him damage had he been pulled over!

LinznMilly and Lurcherlad like this.
  12. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

@Rosiee997: Glad things are being sorted; also meant to say, £350 seems a lot of money for a couple of puncture wounds. What was included for that? Did they insist on taking it to a vet as an OOH case?

DaisyBluebell and LinznMilly like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice