Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog allergy

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Jess23, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Jess23

Jess23 PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,

I have a 18 month old Bernese Mountain Dog called Barnaby.

A few ago he was bathed and developed a hotspot. The hotspot got infected and was treated with antibiotic cream, ointment and Hibi-Scrub. The hotspot has now cleared up. During the time of the hotspot he developed an allergy of some sort.

He has a dripping nose, red eyes and dry crusty flaky skin on his back, tip of tail, stomach and groin area.

He’s currently on AVA for sensitive skin and stomach. He’s always had a sensitive stomach but AVA calmed that down. He was on AVA chicken before his allergy and we changed him to AVA Fish during his allergy.

The vets have put him on steroids but as soon as we stop giving him them the allergic reaction symptoms comes back. Some days he’s worse than others (I haven’t noticed any pattern). I give him Piriton when it seems to be annoying him. This just stops the itchy and makes his eyes less red. I’ve tried ExmaRid formula, COD liver oil tablets and allergy shampoos to try and sooth the skin. I’ve even stopped using certain cleaning products. Nothing is helping. The vets said it may be a flea allergy but he doesn’t have fleas. He is not up to date with fleeing as the vets said not to do it whilst he’s having an allergic reaction to something.

If we go down the allergy testing route we will have to pay. I feel like it may be seasonal or may be a dust allergy.

Any suggestions? See photos below.
    C31D5259-B25E-4972-8FEC-4D1B956DFB3A.jpeg
    4E801BB4-9F5D-4527-A751-1963009BF860.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Tbh it will probably work out cheaper to get the allergy test done rather than keep having to go back for different treatments, buy different foods, products etc.

It sounds pretty miserable for the dog so I’d want to get a proper diagnosis and effective remedy.

Consider possible environmental factors too. The shampoo that was used, washing powders, fabric softeners, air fresheners etc.

If the Ava chicken wasn’t responsible for the allergy maybe changing to the fish has caused the latest issue?

Torin. and Pandora-B like this.
  3. Jess23

Jess23 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your reply.
    To be honest it’s not really affecting him. He’s still a happy bouncy pup. He very rarely scratches it too. It’s more affecting me and the amount of cleaning I have to do. Unfortunately my health and our financial situation isn’t great at the moment. That’s one of the reasons I don’t want to take him for an allergy test. Also, another pup from his litter has a similar problem. They done allergy tests on him and found nothing. The owner of that pup said she wouldn’t recommend it. My dog means the absolute world to me. If I thought this was stressing him out or hurting him I’d find the money for the allergy test.

It’s possible that it was the shampoo that was used but that hasn’t been used since. I’ve changed no fabric softeners or Air fresheners used since we got him.

In regards to the AVA chicken he had the allergy during the AVA chicken and Fish and it hasn’t got any worse or better. It’s a hypo-allergenic food too.

I’m hoping that it’s a seasonal allergy. So If come spring there is no improvement I will be requesting a allergy test. I am actually allergic to him believe it or not. Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s allergic to me too!

4. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Have you spoken to his breeder I always called the breeder of my old boy if a problem cropped up,I still speak to her now and Travis passed away over 3 years ago:)

5. Jess23

Jess23 PetForums Newbie

Hi Niamh,

So sorry to hear about your boy Travis.
    Yeah I’ve spoken to the breeder and the lady who has Barnabys father and Grandmother. We actually have a what’s app group with the owners of the mother, father, grandmother and all the other dogs from Barnabys litter and the one afterwards. We’re all meeting up again in April so maybe them seeing it will trigger some ideas if he’s no better by then. Breeders are so knowledgeable!

niamh123 likes this.
  6. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Ugh this sounds like a very familiar story! My bichon has allergies and was on the same foods.

He's now on anallergenic from royal canin which is hydrolyzed but he has got food allergies too. Maybe try that? It's a true hypoallergenic food. Also keep in mind that it takes at least 8 weeks to see any changes on foods.

Also try Malaseb (proscription only) or D-10 (Amazon) as they're great for shampooing if there's a bacterial or yeast issue :)

Also if it's seasonal allergies have you tried piriton. Not sure of dosage for your dog but mine are under 10kg and have 1/2 tab.

If it's dust, hoovering like your life depends on it helps as well as boil washing bedding

7. Jess23

Jess23 PetForums Newbie

This is so helpful, thank you Engel!
    I think I will try and change his food. I’m going to order some now actually. Thanks for letting me know about the 8 week thing. I didn’t know that.

I’m going to bath him next week so I’ll order some of that D-10. If that doesn’t work (and the food change) back the vets and I’ll mention Malaseb.

Yeah he has Piriton and it seems to help for his eyes and note but not the skin.

He doesn’t actually like beds so he lays on the floor. I’m forever hovering. I’m hoping it’s not dust. I have a dust allergy myself, so I know how hard they can be to manage.

thanks again for your advice!

Engel98 likes this.
  8. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Make sure it's anallergenic and not the hypoallergenic. It's quite expensive but not as expensive as the vet bills! But has really helped my bichon. I thought he'd be on steroids for life and lead to an early grave. Now steroids are being used for flare ups. He's been off them since before Christmas thanks to the food and cleaning regime.

Hills science plan does a allergy food but not tried it. Note that during the 8 week period no other food should be added. No brushing teeth or food additives, nothing.

I found that the food made beau constipated but doesn't happen to all. It had a high fat content so you'll need to watch your dogs weight. It does have a low fibre content but if that becomes an issue after the 8 weeks I'll recommend some fibre pellets which I use which is the same stuff the vets give but a lot cheaper!

Found keeping the coat real short helped with the skin issues too

#8 Engel98, Mar 1, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  9. Jem121

Jem121 PetForums Senior

Have you tried feeding coconut oil in his food to help with flaky skin? Its helped my blue staffy with skin issues. Took about a week to start making any difference. And also yuderm itchy dog? Again took over a week to see any difference but it is helping :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice