Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

dog allergies??

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by losnadis23, Nov 1, 2012.

1. losnadis23

losnadis23 PetForums Newbie

I am new to this but i am worried i have 3 dogs and my youngest one. Bella has started itching alot, mostly her face and been eating her paws/lower legs with some hair loss. I think she must be allergic to something. Going to vet tomorrow afternoon so this will help. Do you think it could be food? Whats the best dog food out there thinking off puting her on skinners food. Thank you.

2. bluegirl

bluegirl PetForums Senior

A dog could be allergic to food, for some it is wheat intolerance and for others its a particular meat ie chicken (but whilst chicken is the biggest culprit in the meat category it equally could be other ones).

A lot of dogs who have allergies end up on chappie which seems to help, its not the best food on the market but clearly very beneficial to those dogs with allergies.

3. losnadis23

Thank you. Do you know if the vet will do test and what they do?

4. Modwyn

Modwyn Guest

They may test for mites as what your dog is doing could be a sign of that as well. I would wait to see what your vet says and go from there.

5. fluffybunny2001

fluffybunny2001 PetForums VIP

a regular vet will test for mites,but for allergies you will need to be referred to a dermatologist.

6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

It could be an allergy to something food or environmental, but mites can also be intensely itchy, often start on the face and legs, especially elbows and anywhere the hair is thinnest. So thats a possibility too, it also causes hair loss and you often get secondary bacterial infection from the scratching and truamatising of the skin.

Vets can do skin scrapes and if you are lucky you may find mites present, although its often far from conclusive and about 50/80 percent of mites are missed this way. Some dogs can also get flea allergy dermatitis from flea saliva when they bite.

If it is allergys dogs can be allergic to anything from certain meat protein/cereals and other things in food, they can also be allergic to environmental factors, like dust mites, storage mites, grasses and pollens and even mould and fungus spores in autumn time especially. You can even get fungal skin infections and things like yeast overgrowth that can cause problems.

Mites, bacterial and fungal infections are about the easiest to treat, certainly easier then allergys because its finding the allergys in the first place and then secondly trying to exclude them.

If its mites Advocate spot on does both sarcoptic and demodex mites and there is also Alludex wash that does both. Advocate can also help with flea allergic dermatitis too. Fungal and bacterial skin infections are also pretty easy to treat. With washes, creams and antibiotics.

Carly Lindsay likes this.
  7. Kaynine

Kaynine PetForums Member

My Fergus had terrible skin problems when I first rescued him. He used to scratch and chew his paws constantly. The skin around his eyes, ears and on his belly would be very pink and hot, but the skin would not be broken. His paws turned pink with saliva stains. I put him on grain and gluten free dry food, started off with Arden Grange (quite expensive but good). Lots of the pet food people do a 'free from' product. Skinners do one I am sure. Fergus is now on Autarky dry and seems to be fine on this. I also give him an Omega 3 capsule daily and he is now on raw food in the mornings with dry at night. His scratching has almost stopped now and his paws have lost the saliva staining.

You will certainly find it cheaper (if this is an issue) to feed raw rather than tinned food. It is certainly worth a try. But Butchers is one food I know that doesn't include cereals etc in it.

I also used to wipe Fergus down with clean water, especially round his face and his paws, after a walk in the fields. Although the last 18 months or so he seems to have grown out of this reaction.

Hope you get your dog sorted!:)

8. losnadis23

Vet was not good just said looks like she has slight dermatitis keep an eye on it and give her piriton tablets twice a day. Going to see what its like in week or 2 and go back or change vets. Not sure what else i can do for that?

9. Modwyn

Modwyn Guest

Personally I would get a second opinion from another vet.

10. porchpotty

porchpotty PetForums Member

Dog allergies may be due to varied causes -fleas, food, mites, shampoo, etc. It would be best to see a vet for proper examination and immediate treatment.

11. losnadis23

See a vet?? I already have!. As my reply below says. We are back to vet in 2 weeks to get her jags so we will see what they have to say then. Hopefully I get a different vet to see her. It has not got any worse over the past few days so that's good. Its def not fleas as that's about the only thing she checked her for plus I have 2 other dogs and they are fine. Thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice