Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog Allergic to Everything

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Tellebell, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Tellebell

Tellebell PetForums Newbie

Hi there - haven't been on any forums in a while but thought I'd give this a go.

My dog Jasper (3 years old, rescue pup, unknown breed) was always a very picky eater who took frequent bouts of colitis and ear infections. Last year he was pretty sick; he was throwing up blood and he had constant colitis. My vet did a range of tests on him, all of which came back fine - except for the food screening, which showed that Jasper is severely allergic to all foods that he was tested against. This ranged from meat (including ostrich!) to all grains and vegetables. The only negative result was grass. Since then, he's been on a hypoallergenic diet and had no issues with his stomach or digestion. He's put on weight and loves eating and it's great to see.

The only problem is that lately he's had a lot of distress with his ear. He's had two ear infections this year and the last one was his worst yet. He shakes his head and scratches his ear non-stop at night. My vet prescribed him apoquel, which helps a lot, but I was recently reading up on the 'dark side' of the tablets and it has me concerned.

Another vet recommended monthly injections to help with his allergies. I suppose my question is: does anyone have any recommendations on how to help his ear naturally? Keeping in mind he is allergic to all food. I'm at a loss on how to help him sometimes and any tips would be extremely helpful.

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I also have a dog who is allergic or intolerant to pretty much everything so you have my sympathies!. Which hypoallergenic diet is your dog on?

With regards to the apoquel, there’s scare stories for every drug out there if you look for them. If it’s what your dog needs then that’s better than being in distress. There’s a number of people on here whose dogs use it - my other dog has seasonal allergies and has used it.

Has he only had the two ear infections? If so I wouldn’t panic yet. It’s possible that the first one didn’t clear up completely, which would explain why the second one was worse. Has he had his ears cleaned out under sedation? Are his ears particularly hairy inside? Does he routinely go in water?

Linda Weasel, niamh123 and Lurcherlad like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice