Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog aggressive after neutering when it didn't used to be

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Leon&Ruth, May 19, 2010.

1. Leon&Ruth

Leon&Ruth PetForums Newbie

Hi all

Our male shih tzu, Rigsby, is a year old. Two weeks ago we got him neutered.

Rigsby has always been very energetic and slightly big for a shih tzu, but since being neutered he has gone into hyperdrive and has started getting aggressive.

He only used to bark when he needed to go to the toilet, and occcasionally for attention, but now when we're sitting down or out of the room for just a minute he barks constantly or runs around throwing toys in the air and slamming into furniture. He has also started biting our feet for attention.

We couldn't walk him for a few days after the operation, and put it down to lack of exercise at first. But now he's almost back to his normal exercise routine and we've always fed him the right things.

The only thing we can put this down to is Rigsby adjusting to the changes in his body as the hormones drain away from his system. Either that or we have a behaviour management issue on our hands!

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Regards

Leon and Ruth

2. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

I've certainly never come across this after having all my done but I'd put it down to hormone changes, change of routine and him being still abit sore and upset by the whole thing. I would give him some time more cos 2 week's isn't very long and if it does still carry on have a word with your vet and ask his opinion.

3. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

The neutering, the surgery and associated stress may be a contributing factor but we can't ignore that Rigsby (love that name!) is a teenager and slap bang in the middle of adolescence. Attention seeking and obnoxious-ness is part of it and extra training efforts are required regardless of neutering.

4. GillyR

GillyR PetForums VIP

Aww dont worry hun, going through the kevin stage. (dont you just love the bad boy stage :rolleyes:)

Just happens to be at the same time as the op.

5. Leon&Ruth

Leon&Ruth PetForums Newbie

Cheers guys!

As for the name 'Rigsby' - we are thinking of getting a girl dog called Miss Jones ;)

(that won't mean anything to anyone who hasn't seen the old UK sit-com 'Rising Damp' !)

6. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

Love it - Rigsby and Miss Jones reunited :thumbup:

7. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Difficult times adolescence and knowing what to blame on what is a bit of a quiz.

Heidi (now 1) had never been anything more than submissive but a few weeks after spaying, had an issue with a little 5 month bitch that had also just been "done". It was all noise and teeth but a bit of a shock. - Nothing since :thumbup:

She also goes in and out of insolent teenage spatts where she is determined to do things just because she can, push boundaries and refuse point blank! :rolleyes:

As well as that - she seems to have lost her mojo and her get up and go has got up and left :scared:
    Not sure if it's maturity, change of food now that she is on adult or spaying but my little pocket rocket has chilled.

I am sure we will come out the otherside not really knowing what attributed to what but as long as "normal service" is resumed - that will do for me :lol:

8. leashedForLife

hey, ruth + leon! :--)

none of those behaviors is aggression per se -
    even biting ones feet is an aggressive means of getting attn, but it is not AGGRO -
    i believe its frustration, in an active young dog who is not getting adequate exercise and wants desperately to play.
    many Shih-Tzu are very playful dogs who love toys, fetch and tug games.

i would also definitely *not* blame it on neutering -
    he is 12-MO and is not as willing to take NO for an answer, as he was as an infant or pre-teen -
    he wants a game + he wants it NOW, thank U...
    while he is not being polite about it, i would bet he got to this point only ** After! ** he had already exhausted other,
    less-intense signals that he wanted interaction + exercise... ;) Yes? isn;t that so?

is he walking a minimum of Two 30-minute brisk walks a day?
    15-minutes out and 15-minutes back, at a rapid pace, Twice?

is he getting off-leash exercise at a run, chasing toys, playing with other dogs, etc, for at least 30 to 45-mins a day,
    every day?
    15-mins of playing fetch or chase-games in the house, 3 times daily, is not that difficult to do -
    and if U miss the odd game now and then, he should be able to cope.
    just don;t miss them *regularly* - if one of U has a horrible cold, the other needs to pick-up the slack for the dog. ;)

have fun, :) i am sure he will be delighted and behavior will improve forthwith! :thumbup1:
    --- terry

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice