Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog Aggressive after eating - possible allergy? Help please

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Marnold1980, May 20, 2021.

1. Marnold1980

Marnold1980 PetForums Newbie

I hope that someone can help and that this is the right forum .

I have an 11 month old cockapoo who has a few things going on at the moment. He was neutered around 7 weeks ago and has healed well with no issues.
    He had giardia as a smaller pup (around 6 months) and this was treated and he is now clear.
    For the last few weeks his behaviour has taken a dip. Now I know that he is an adolescent but he has become quite aggressive and has been biting me. He is particularly bad in the evenings.
    I had narrowed it down to the biting episodes being around 1-1.5 hrs after food. So I changed his food wondering if this would help. But still the same issues.
    I took him to the vet this week and the vet states he thinks that he has allergy in relation to food given that these episodes link in to when he has just eaten. He has prescribed a hypoallergenic food (Purina) to use for the next 4 weeks.
    The last 2 nights he has been worse than ever after eating the hypoallergenic food. Last night was the worst and I had to put him in his crate as he was biting and hurting me (its just him and I) I then felt awful but I felt I had no choice for my safety.
    Could this be due to the change of his food? Or a long term effect from the Giardia? I should say he also gets purina probiotic every morning to help his tummy.
    Does anyone have any similar experiences? Did the change of food eventually help? I feel like I am running out of things to do / try and am letting him down.
    He is the most gorgeous little dog, such a friendly happy wee guy and he has never ever went for another dog or person. It is only in the house after food. He loves going out with the dog walker and other dogs and sleeps well etc. This is the one part i'm struggling with.
    Any advice would be much appreciated

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Hypoallergenic foods tend to concentrate on the protein as the trigger, in some it's hydrolysed so the body doesn't recognise it.
    It could be the other food content, not protein.
    If the food he's been on in say, chicken and rice, I'd go for something with neither in. Say white fish and potato (you can find these in the grain free section). You should be able to get samples or a small bag to test.

lorilu likes this.
  3. Marnold1980

Thanks for your reply. Prior to this he was on Chicken Canagen food with Forthglade wet food, various flavours.
    Should I follow the vets advice and continue with the Hypoallergenic food he prescribed? He said I was to keep Reggie on it for 4 weeks and gradually re-introduce other things to see what his reaction was.
    Really don't know what is best.

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I'm not going to second-guess your vet, and advise against his guidance
    But as there seems to be a distinct time sequence between feeding and the adverse behaviour, what I would try first is to move one of the meal times, and see what, if any, effect that has. If the dog still gets bitey an hour or so later, and it's now at a different time of day, then the relationship between feeding and bitey-ness is further substantiated, and if it's still happening with the hypoallergenic food, then I'd try something different. You could get a small bag of fish and potato, and feed it a couple of times a week, and see if that makes any difference. Experiment; If there are other variables - say anticipation of a walk, being in a certain room, try altering them too. Keep notes.

#4 Burrowzig, May 20, 2021
    Last edited: May 20, 2021
    Linda Weasel and JoanneF like this.
  5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

It could be that it is the time of day when he is feeling most active and trying to get you to play rather than the food so as suggested try a different meal time and see what happens.

Lurcherlad, rona, O2.0 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Marnold1980

Great, thanks for the advice. I am pretty confident its to do with eating. My mum gave him some leftover steak she had which was outside his normal meal times and he was the same way. I will start to keep a diary to see if I can pinpoint any more and if, after a few more days the food isn't agreeing will try your suggestions. Thanks again, much appreciated.

7. Marnold1980

Im currently feeding him at 730am and 6pm. Will try feeding dinner earlier and see if that makes a difference. Thank You

8. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Can you describe the biting episodes? Is he aggressing, or is he trying to play? What are you doing when he starts biting you and how do you try to get him to stop?

I would imagine with a food allergy there would also be GI symptoms like sloppy stools, gurgly tum, unsettled, maybe excessive drooling, that sort of thing. Does he have any of that?

9. Marnold1980

Hi, sorry for the delay. Honestly I’m not sure if it is a hyper play and wanting attention bite. He can be quite aggressive but never growls and I didn’t get the feeling he wants to hurt me. But it does hurt! When he starts I try to redirect his attention on to something else, like a chew or a toy. But then the next minute he can be doing it again. I don’t want to use his crate as a punishment as he sleeps there so I try to just move out the way.

His poos have been a mixed back really. Some are a little hard and others like me whippy. They also have a terrible smell. I’ve noticed better poos since he’s been on the hypoallergenic food. The vet ruled out Giardia as he hasn’t had an upset tummy or been sick. I can sometimes hear his stomach but no drooling. He does pant quite a bit too after eating

10. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Sounds like evening zoomies to me. Many young dogs do it because the evening is when they usually get most attention

11. Mum2Ozzy

Mum2Ozzy PetForums Member

So does he come up to you and starts nipping at your hand, feet etc? Can it be attention seeking, wanting to play, build up of energy? My dog is a bit younger and not neutered but he's always buzzing a bit more after his evening meal; especially on the days I work and he slept most of the day. I try to take him for a walk before his meal if possible and if he's geetting too crazy something like stuffed kong, lickmat or chew helps him focus his energy and wind down a bit.

rona likes this.
  12. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Many puppies will have a 'hyper' episode when they are tired.

As this is happening in the evening, it may simply be coincidence it is an hour or so after he eats.

It doesn't sound, from your description, as though he's being aggressive, more like rough play.

Do you have a crate for him? If you do, maybe put him in it for a while, with a chew or treat, until he calms down.

Mum2Ozzy likes this.
  13. Marnold1980

Thanks all.
    It doesn’t feel like the normal “zoomies” which he’s had since he was little. He went though a stage of being much calmer in the evening and able to settle himself and was happy with a chew etc. Now he’s like a different dog.
    interestingly he’s been very chilled today. He was out with the dog walker. I gave him his meal at the normal time tonight but he didn’t want it. We then went a walk and he ate when he came back. Normally he will eat before his walk. Anyway, he has been happily chilling out and chewing his bone.
    I’m not sure why he’s much calmer but I’ll take it!!!

14. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

How much exercise a day does he have, both on the days when you do and don't use the dog walker?

I would be very surprised if a food allergy is causing his behaviour. An allergy of that nature would usually take the form of itching/biting/scratching, not hyperactivity or aggression.

O2.0 likes this.
  15. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

How many times a day are you feeding?

Have you tried feeding a portion at the normal time, and then using the rest to provide some training/mental stimulation about the time when he starts getting a bit 'funny'?

Do you feed in just a bowl? Id be tempted to use all his food in training sessions, or in some way that makes him work for it, rather than just on one big go.

rona likes this.
  16. Marnold1980

With myself he gets 3 walks per day. Total about 1.5 hours per day.
    Dog walker days he has about 2.5 hours between the dog walker and I
    He doesn’t want to go walks early in the morning. I have to practically drag him out!

17. Marnold1980

thanks, thanks what I did last night. I scatter fed him and put some in his toy. He’s fed 7.30 am and 6pm. going to keep trying different ways to feed thank you

rona likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice