Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog aggression

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Sondee, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Sondee

Sondee PetForums Newbie

I have 4 rotts, 3 girls and 1 boy. I have owned and raised rotts for over 20 years. My 2 older females are 5 & 6 yrs and toners female is 8 months. my make is 6 months old and the must gentle laid back dog ever owned. I've never really had an aggression problem. (also all dogs are from different dams and sires). The youngest female who is already 80 pounds and as big as her older pack girls is always showing aggression towards one of the older females. There have been several vicious fights where Borte (the younger) has drawn blood and dominated the older rott. Borte, though is always submissive to me as the pack leader and obedient until she gets into a fight with Roxie. Any ideas on controlling and stopping this aggressive behavior? they really are all sweet loving dogs.

2. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Sometimes dogs just don't like another for whatever reason, I mean we don't like everyone we meet and there are people I know that I'd absolutely hate to have to live with, lol!

I have a similar problem with my Mal bitch Kali, she has had fights with most of the dogs here and always draws blood, even the little ones and she always starts it. There isn't a pattern or even a trigger that you would know, no toys, treats or human food she just 'goes off on one' out of the blue. For safety sake and for fairness to the innocent dogs here I use a baby gate to keep her away from all other dogs except her son Flynn. She has never fought with him but she still growls at him occasionally.

She just doesn't mix well at all so for the past seven years I have segregated her. Some say that makes them worse, maybe it does but you can't have the good natured dogs harmed by taking chances. I do know that entire bitches kept together can fight due to hormone fluctuations, that could be the case if yours aren't spayed but Kali is spayed and if anything I would say she is worse now.

How about having the vet check her over in case there's an underlying medical reason for her moods, like hypothyroidism for example.

3. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Your younger bitch is maturing and may be coming into season and I am afraid this often happens in multi bitch households, and it may be that your younger bitch may have to be rehomed if there is no underlying medical conditiong causing pain etc.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice