Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog aggresion

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by sola, May 9, 2010.

1. sola

sola PetForums Newbie

We have a 9 month old Springer spaniel (female), we have been through the puppy stages of nipping and chewing things.

Our big problem now is that i by accident if we should drop a sock or pop sock and she gets there before us we can’t get it off her, as we approached her she will growl show her teeth and go for us.

The last time she took a pop sock she eat it but fortunately it came out a couple of days latter.

The problem now for the family is with this aggression is we are afraid to go near her to retrieve said article, what action should we take, we at one time shouted and spanked her ignored her but we are afraid she will do some harm to herself or us

Sola

2. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Sadly she has learnt that if you come near her when she has something she needs to defend whatever it is.

You need to try swapping the item for some sort of treat.

If she likes to chase a ball then simply throw a ball for her when she has the sock and she will drop the sock to go get the ball, then let her keep the ball.

If she is more food orientated then try and get her to swap the sock for a tasty treat saying "give" at the moment she releases the sock, remember to tell her what a good girl she is for giving it up :thumbup:.

Fortunatly i would say that she is young enough to reverse this behaviour if you proceed with positive training on this. :)

3. JessiesGirl

JessiesGirl PetForums Senior

Have you tried teaching her the Leave It command? So you can stop her before she takes something?

Here's a very nice link with video on how to teach Leave It. How to keep your dog from taking things he shouldn't have. | Dog Spelled Forward

I think the yelling/spank will make things much worse as she's learned that you may be aggressive with her and she's beating you to it.

To teach Give or Drop It, you can either try to trade up for a higher-value item or you can teach it with play.

With play, try having two of a toy she loves. As soon as she brings you the first one, throw the second. Most dogs will immediately drop toy#1 to go retrieve toy#2. As she begins to consistently drop the first one, put the word to it-Drop It, Give, whatever word you want to use.

#3 JessiesGirl, May 9, 2010
    Last edited: May 9, 2010
  4. sola

sola PetForums Newbie

Thanks for advice so far but trise above before with treats, food, toys etc.
    As soon as you get within a foot of her she growles shows teeth and goes for you .

We have left a trat for her but she picks up the treat and still has item in her mouth ?

Sola

5. theevos5

theevos5 PetForums VIP

We taught Alfie the leave it command by putting a treat on the floor in front of him,saying leave it and after a sufficient amount of time lots of good boy etc and give a seperate treat whilst picking the other up off the floor,gradually over time he knows that leave it means there is no way on earth he may touch that treat,but by doing so he is given another treat.This has now progressed to socks,slippers etc in fact anything that we have not been able to drop without him jumping on it.So I walk past him drop a slipper or sock right in front of him say leave it and reward.Can't help with the aggression though as(touch wood)not had any.

6. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

If this is true "resource guarding" and she can't be distracted then you need to see a behaviourist before someone gets bitten

7. czenios

czenios PetForums Junior

It's better to get advice from a dog trainer for such behaviour

8. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

With my dog, he loves carrying things around, like letters, socks, shoes etc. To prevent them being eaten and to prevent any resource guarding, I have turned it into a game. Whenever he picks something up, i say in a cheerful voice, "what's that you got then?", really high and squeaky and Ollie loves it. I say things like, "aren't you a good boy?" and "clever boy" in the same tone, and he thinks its great, he comes over to you to show you what he's got and will then allow you to touch the item in his mouth and say drop in a normal tone and he does. it avoids confrontation and it makes it fun for him. maybe think about doing that.

9. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

My perspective on it is a little different. I believe a dog begins this because it has a lack of respect for the owner.

Whilst I agree with most of what people have said. Rainybow has had experience with this. U also need to take a firmer stance with your dog. I am not suggesting shouting, smacking or anything like that. Dogs, like children can push their boundries. Unfortunately u cannot have a conversation with them so u need to tell them in their language.

Good luck x

10. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Just to add as well that your dog is now mentally, in a good position. He knows u r all fearful of this aggression, so he has the upper hand. Dogs r experts in Reading body language, as this is how u communicate.

U need to find a way to put this to one side.

11. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

I would use a rare treat....like a peice of cooked meat from the sunday roast with a litle garlic on it....nd hold the treat in your hand so he can smell it but not allow him to take it till he's let go of the sock....and in the instant he does say your command.....followed by the treat and the fuss really quickly....it can be done....but sadly shouting and smacking only serves to make it a bigger issue than it already is.
    Clare xx

12. rona

rona Guest

Does your dog retrieve anything to you?
    Spaniels are bred to retrieve

13. HarrietAnne

HarrietAnne PetForums Junior

We had this very same problem with Ben our Lab,
    well I didnt but the rest of the house did,

I will try to explain, I didnt chase him with the item, I just got his atttion with a toy & he came to me as the toy was more fun than the sock,
    He will now just leave when I ask him to,

The rest of the family my 14 yr old & my oh chased ben round the house trying to get the item of him & he thought it was the best game, so carried on,
    If they tried to get it back of him hed growl, as he wanted the chase game,

They are now both working with him using a trainers advice,

put him on lead, put a treat a few feet in front of him on the floor make him leave, if he goes for it he does not get the treat if he leaves till you say get it he gets it,

next step
    Put a treat on a chair a few feet away from him, tell him to stay
    you go to the chair & bring the treat back to him if he has stayed you give it to him, if not start all over again,

This is all teaching the leave command which will help

Teaching release,
    start a game with a fav toy,
    after a few mins take the toy, if the dog gives the toy carry on playing a short time,
    If not put the toy away,

Try again in a short time,

Training sessions should be kept to about 10 mins a time a few times a day

Hope this helps
    Harriet

14. leashedForLife

U have to *teach* this, sola -
    not try it when the dog Already Has An Item in their mouth. ;)

what the dog has been *taught* so far, is that ppl who approach her when she has a sock, are going to shout at her + smack her -
    so she is immediately defensive + suspicious; she learned what she was taught.
    she needs to learn an entirely NEW lesson: to leave an item alone, On Cue, for a reward.

U start with Low-Value items offered + REWARD with a high-value item.
    if U cannot do the training Urself, find a good, experienced, positive-reinforcement trainer to help.
    if they begin spouting dominance, wolf-pack theory, pack-leader -
    hold onto Ur wallet, and RUN the other way!
    that is 20-years outdated, and involves aversives -
    * punishment *, corrections, whatever nice euphemism the trainer prefers.
    its all SHORTHAND for *things the dog will not like* - jerking, poking, rolling, pinning, threatening body-language,
    hard-stares, deep loud voice, etc.

with a dog who has already learnt to bite, such added threats or harsh tools will only cause her to INCREASE her aggro -
    and escalation is not what we want; we want her to lay down her arms, and co-operate. this requires Mutual Disarmament -
    both sides cease aggression.

a choke collar, prong-collar, bitey-hands, etc, are all forms of human-aggression.
    if U cannot find a local pos-R trainer, then baby-gate her out of the bedroom while U are dressing, etc -
    this is MANAGEMENT. the book click to calm is a safe, step-by-step DIY for B-Mod of aggression -
    the booklet Mine! is a short + sweet primer on RG, resource-guarding, only; re-teaching a new behavior also means
    MANAGE First - she cannot keep practicing unwanted behavior.

--- terry

15. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice