Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Dog acting very nervous...

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by hollyhay, Feb 8, 2018.

1. hollyhay

hollyhay PetForums Newbie

Out of nowhere my dog is acting very nervous and as he walks around our house he'll sit down every couple steps, almost like he's in pain. There's no visible wounds that I can see and there's nothing that has changed recently that should be stressing him out, so I'm really not sure what could be causing this.

#1 hollyhay, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  2. BlueJay

BlueJay Pee on it and walk away

Is he still eating and drinking? Will he respond to you? Wanting to play or go for a walk when engaged?

Latisha Wiggan likes this.
  3. hollyhay

He did eat something morning but I haven't seen him drink anything. He acts like he wants to play when I tried to engage him, but he just ends up sitting down and looking at my like he wants to play but is uncomfortable for some reason

4. BlueJay

BlueJay Pee on it and walk away

He may very well be in pain for one reason or another.
    Nobody will be able to say anything with any certainty over the internet.

If he were mine, I'd keep a close eye on him tonight (especially in regards to drinking; encourage him if you can just to make sure) and if he's not back to normal in a day or two, I'd be booking a vet check.

If he refuses normal things, loses colour in his gums or anything else concerning happens, an earlier vet appointment would be a good idea.

5. hollyhay

Thank you! I'll be keeping a close eye on him.

6. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Agree with everyone that this could be a sign of pain. My dogs have done this when they've had a tummy ache.
    If no improvement I'd take him to the vet for a check up.

7. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Changes in behaviour can be an indicator that a dog is in discomfort, pain or unwell, sometimes a change in behaviour is all that you see. The fact that he is sitting down every couple of steps would also make be suspicious that there is some kind of pain or discomfort too. Different dogs react to pain or discomfort differently, I have had stoic ones with a high pain threshold that will carry on regardless unless it gets really bad and they are in real bad trouble, and ones that will scream the place down and react to the slightest pain. It may not be a limb as such it could even be back or neck pain. Quite often pain and where it is doesn't become apparent unless the dog has a proper orthopaedic exam either. If there is no improvement I would get him checked out properly by a vet to rule in or out a medical cause first off.

8. ladyisla

ladyisla PetForums Member

I agree, does sound like it might be due to being in pain. My westie has recently been quite ill with polyarthritis. Some of the early signs were subtle differences in the way she was moving and also wanting to play but then just sitting down like she couldn't find the energy to carry on. I knew something was wrong but at the time had no idea what it was. If it persists, it's definitely worth a vet check.

Good luck :)

Sled dog hotel likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice