Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog acting strange

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Staceyhmfc, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Staceyhmfc

Staceyhmfc PetForums Newbie

My jack Russell is 11 years old I have had him 10 years.hes had the odd concerns but recently he's been acting very strange and so clingy to me. I'm pretty sure he may have an ear infection and will be getting him seen as soon as I can but can this make it be like this? We do have someone staying with us temp he doesn't really know and my daughter has chicken pox, could any of these be a factor. I'm so worried as he's 11 and getting old that's there's something underlying I just cry at the thot!! He's still eating and moving about ok, peeing and pooping ok. X

2. Muttly

Muttly Fluffy Mutts Rule!

It is most likely the ear infection, some dogs (mine included) get very very clingy when they are in pain or not feeling well. When is he seeing the Vet?

Lurcherlad and Sled dog hotel like this.
  3. Staceyhmfc

It may not be until Monday, long story why But I'm hoping can get him in tomorrow! I'm worried sick there's something really wrong, crying my eyes out. He's just so strange and not relaxing unless he's practically on top of me. It's not always easy either as I have two young kids x

4. Muttly

I really hope you can get him there before Monday! If you have ever had an ear infection, then they are very painful, can put you off balance and make you feel sick. It's really unfair to leave him in pain if he has.

Is there anything you can do?

What makes you think he has an infection. Is the ear dirty? smelly?

Lurcherlad and Sled dog hotel like this.
  5. Staceyhmfc

I know this I don't want to leave him, it's dirty inside and only one ear. Plus the scratching it at times but also the way he's holding it down. My mother has his brother and I've seen when he has one. I've tried to clean it a bit etc today but yes I need him seen asap. Actually tempted to just go to a new vet to get him seen quicker. So so worried about him.

6. Muttly

Aww. If it's your Vet holding you up, then hell yeah go to a different one. There's nothing saying you can't :)

Try not to worry too much, I'm sure it will just be a case of a course of Anti-biotics.

Lurcherlad and ForestWomble like this.
  7. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Changes in behaviour can and often does indicate that are dog is in discomfort pain and or feeling unwell. Some will take themselves off and become withdrawn others may become clingy and or vocal. If you suspect her has an ear infection then that could well be it, ears can get very sore and painful. Trouble is dogs ear canals tend to be very long and deep, and even if you can see some discharge and/or redness that may indicate there is an issue, you cant see further down the ear canal and the full extent of the problem. Chances are he has gotten some kind of infection could well be bacterial plus the debris in his ears are making it more uncomfortable. Really only the vet has the proper equipment to check it out properly and he can give you an appropriate ear medication to deal with the infection and inflammation.

It could the changes that are taking place making him a bit more clingy aswell, especially if he isn't feeling great or unwell, but as you have mentioned a likely ear issue which can be sore and painful that's probably a lot of the problem I would have thought.

Muttly likes this.
  8. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

As @Muttly has said, yes ear infections can make them clingy, hopefully a course of ear drops and he will be fine :)

Muttly likes this.
  9. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

And a week (almost) is a long time for an appointment if he is in pain.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  10. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I would get him seen by another Vet.

There is no way any of us can diagnose an infection over the Internet.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice