Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog acting out ever since we got a hamster

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by hamsterlover123, Apr 28, 2021.

?

Did your dog act out when you got another pet?

1. yes

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. no

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  3. I did not get another pet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. They never met each other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. hamsterlover123

hamsterlover123 PetForums Member

So hey guys! Our dog is side-eyeing us, ignoring us, acting annoyed at us, being all "huffy puffy" around us, and acting hurt ever since we got our hamster! I will be posting this on the rodent forum too so if you see another post like this it is probably because I duplicated it.
    Anyways can you help?

2. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

What help do you want? What is the dog actually doing? How long have you had the hamster? How old is the dog?

3. hamsterlover123

Hello! Thank for responding! I would like to know if anyone else had this problem and how they fixed it. He is doing what I posted, ignoring us when we get near him when he would be happy to see us. I have had the hamster for almost a month now. My dog is 7 years old. (he is a poodle mix)

4. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

To answer your question...no, dogs don't "act out" when you bring a small animal into the house.
    What you may find is that the dog may be getting over aroused due to the smell of a small furry suddenly arriving in the house.

What intro's have you done, if any?
    Was your dog able to respond to cues well before the hamster turned up or did they ignore then too but you have noticed more now?
    What is he doing when he ignores you?
    Can he see or get to the hamster cage?

First of all with any change of behaviour (especially in an adult dog) you need to pop your dog to the vet for a check up to make sure nothing medical is happening.

Sarah H, O2.0, Torin. and 1 other person like this.
  5. TTouch

TTouch PetForums Member

More likely your dog either has a high prey drive or is 'concerned' about the new smell and a new smell can be all consuming for a dog which means what your dog normally did pre hamster, he is not doing right now.......

6. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Hopefully @hamsterlover123 will reply this time and let experienced posters who own both dogs and rodents/rabbits help them, unlike last time when I asked dog training/ management questions and was ignored

O2.0 and JoanneF like this.
  7. hamsterlover123

My dog can not get into the cage but he can see from above because the aquarium is up high.
    Our introduction have been someone holding him outside the playpen (the hamster did not notice)
    And then he tried to lunge at it like it was a little running chicken nugget.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice