Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog accidents and DIY floor.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by keasby, Jul 8, 2009.

1. keasby

keasby PetForums Newbie

Hi there. I'm new to this site and sincerely hope this is the best place to post.

I have a lovely but anxious rescue dog who is getting gradually better with his seperation anxiety. Both my partner and I work so we're out of the house for a few hours each day, often leading to 'accidents' when we return. My question is therefor 3 fold-

firstly what is the best way of helping him stop peeing? He's really good when we are in but if we're not...

second, what is the best way to limit the damage. We've tried the pee-pads but he just tears them to shreds and wees where they were!

Thirdly, we instaled a laminate floor thinking that would be more resiliant than the carpet we had. How wrong we were. 6 months later it's buckled and swollen on his 'favourite spot'. Can anyone recommend a flooring that will be able to stand a puddle for a couple of hours a day?

If we're only out a short while we crate him which he is really good with but I don't feel that it is fair to crate him for more than a couple of hours.

2. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Well done for taking on a rescue, they are well worth while

I wouldn't recommend pee pads, or newspaper, although I did initially use them for my two choc girls as pups; in my view, they're confusing for the dog, its easier to train them that the only place to pee is outside.

Is he peeing in excitement, or there's a puddle to greet you already?

The other thing about your flooring is that unfortunately it sounds like the material under the first laminated layer has absorbed the urine. That smell will encourage him to pee again in that spot, and I don't think any amount of cleaning will get rid of it tbh, the normal recommendation is a mix of biological washing powder in warm water, as the enzymes break down any left over scent. Bleach and ammonia based products can actually encourage the dog to pee in a particular spot.

I've left mine crated for their own safety for up to four hours, if they're not crated, I've got a run, and to be honest all they do is sleep, which is what they'd do in a crate in any case ;)

3. keasby

keasby PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the swift reply.

The pee has generally been there for a while, although if a guest turns up at about the time he needs to go out we do occasionally get damp shoes!

I think you're right about the underlay.

I've just had a thought of restricting him to the kitchen. Are there any dog proof baby style gates around? I think he would bash through a normal pressure fix one (he's escaped from crates before now)

As for taking on a rescue dog- it's been really rewarding to see a scared, beaten and emaciated mutt turn into a happy confident lad. We still find random things that terrified of- he won't go near the garage, slinks away if the dish washer is opened near him and runs away from coat hangers. Bless him

4. rona

rona Guest

Have you had him checked for urine infection?
    Maybe he just can't hold on that long

5. keasby

keasby PetForums Newbie

He's had his MOT, all is ok in that respect. I'm trying to get the best balance between what's best for the dog and not letting him trash the place and hurt himself.

At the moment we're thinking of restricting him to the kitchen, but it is quite small, 6ft by 4ft, with his crate sitting in the doorway to add extra space. He's about the size of a collie but with less energy- does this sound cruel?

6. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

And thank god for wonderful people like you!

Sounds like you've done a great job. When a dog has too much room to move around in, it can encourage excitment and anxiety. It could be that this is a reason for his toileting.

I have crates, but I do not close the door and I certainly couldn't whilst I was out. (don't knock anyone else for it, just how I feel). By restricting his access to just the kitchen, I think is a great idea. Maybe put his crate in the kitchen with the door open?

Just out of interest, how much of the house does he have when on his own?

x:)

7. keasby

keasby PetForums Newbie

I'm so impressed with the help here. Thanks to everyone!

At the moment he has the run of the downstairs, a modest walk through living room, dining room, kitchen.

Do people think that kitchen is ok? it's quite small but plenty of room to lie down adn have a drink and nibble his favorite stuffed gorilla. My OH is adamant it is too small but I think it will be ok, and better than him getting all worked up and trashing the place (we've lost half our library in about 6 months).

Sorry for the incessent questioning :)

8. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

My outside run is probably no larger than an average kitchen, and they love going and sitting out in the sunshine (if we ever get any in this country), they've got the choice of sitting in the shade as well, and they'll generally just sleep. Your kitchen with a crate in it sounds like doggy heaven, certainly not too small :)

Dog proof babygates are just ones that are too large for them to get over, although Indie did work out how to open one of the baby gates I had at my last house, she can't be bothered jumping things :rolleyes:

9. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

10. keasby

keasby PetForums Newbie

miraculous news!

We went in the out house last night and Marley (named before we knew about the book and film) followed us in and made himself comfortable! He used to hide and wet himself if he thought he had to go anywhere near it. Anyway, its decorated, warm and comfy so is now going to be the dog room!

Thank you for all the help.

11. silly gilly

silly gilly PetForums Member

I think your kitchen sounds fine, when yiou think about it, boarding kennels are not much bigger and they are in them 24/7 with only 2 little walks. If you put in perspective what this dog probably had before lovely people like you took him on its dog paradise. Obviously you give him lots of exercise and love so dont beat yourself up too much. I was so lucky with my rescue lurcher but he was under a year old and came clean very quickly. The rescues Ive had in my life are so worthwhile, I cry my eyes out when I see those adverts on TV with their sad eyes and wish I could have more but I think 3 dogs are enough. Good luck and good for you.:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice