Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

DofE Volunteer

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by the melster, Oct 7, 2013.

1. the melster

the melster PetForums Senior

We are dog walkers and have been contacted by a 14 year old girl who is doing her Duke of Edinburgh award and she wants to volunteer to walk dogs for us. I don't want to just say no straight away as it takes guts to ring round and determination to do your DofE.

We are going to check with the insurance in the morning to see if anything would need to be done. She would mainly be working with hubbie as we would not let her walk dogs on her own or be unsupervised at any time. He is also a taxi driver so has an enhanced CRB check and is cleared to work with children so that is not an issue.

Has anybody done this and is it something you would do again?

2. Duck toller

Duck toller PetForums Newbie

My son has done his dofe in bronze and silver.

If its bronze they are doing, they have to do 12 sessions of at least 1 hr.I think they have to be spread out ie once a week, .
    So your probably looking at once per week for 12 weeks, and you would have to walk with them, sign there form, and fill in a short report at the end. It would be down to them to take there own photos for evidence.
    It does take guts for them to ring you and ask you, I think you should give them a go:smile5:

3. bearcub

bearcub PetForums VIP

She'll be on her Bronze at 14, and depending which element of the award she would be doing the dog walking under - skills, physical or service, it could be up to a 6 month commitment from her and you.

Is she doing it through her school? Personally, if it were me, I would get in touch with them (or whoever the coordinator is) and double check with them as to whether it would be an appropriate activity. I'm not sure (and please don't misinterpret this) that a D of E coordinator would advocate a 14 year old working alone with a stranger.

I think it's really kind of you to consider, but having done all three awards, I know there's quite a lot to achieving them; you would have to sign her off each week and provide a summary of her progress. It could put you in a difficult position if she wasn't showing the commitment that she needed to complete the three months worth of activity.

Hope that helps :)

eta I did take on a D of E volunteer; she helped me out for three months with teaching my group singing lessons :)

#3 bearcub, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  4. BeauNoir

BeauNoir PetForums VIP

Will you be informing all of your clients whose dogs may be coming into contact with her? Because you will also have to take into account how they would feel about it.

I would not want a 14 year old who you do not know walking my dog with you, just in case anything happened. You don't know if she would be calm in a crisis situation - it would be different if it was a close member of your family and you knew they were raised properly around dogs, etc. This is a complete stranger and your husband's attention will be divided between keeping an eye on her and watching the dogs he is walking, whereas he should only be doing the latter.

Maybe I am a bit negative, but as one of your clients, that is how I would feel.

5. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

If your insurance covers it, the D of E allows it and you are okay with the extra paperwork then I say go for it
    It will be a brilliant opportunity for her, some 14 year olds (especially girls) can be really mature

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice