Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

doesnt like dogs?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by rioand ashasmum, Feb 21, 2008.

1. rioand ashasmum

rioand ashasmum PetForums Newbie

Can anyone give me some advice?
    I have two great danes, both bitches, one absolutely loves everyone and will often be found a long way behind me waiting to play with anything that will play with her, the other one is the problem, she is very unpredictable with other dogs, off a lead on a good day she may be alright and play, but I usually put her on a lead as soon as I see another dog and walk away as fast as I can, but my gripe is that owners will let their dogs come running over to us, even though i shout that she is on a lead for a reason,the other day we were walking in the park well away from everyone when a bulldog suddenly appeared and came straight for us, Asha was on a lead but before I could do a thing she had pinned this dog to the ground!!! the dog was screaming, the owner was yelling at me and I am still shaking at the thought of it.I just dont know what to do, we have had training classes,behaviourist the lot,but at six
    years old is she too old to change,she is a fantastic lovable character in every other way, but this seems to be fear aggression that she makes a move before the other dog does.It is ruining what used to be great walks!
    I would be greatful for any advice.
    Thanks Jackie Rioand Ashasmum

2. andrea 35

andrea 35 PetForums VIP

Hiya Im going to sound like ive got shres in Jan Fennels books but if youve never heard of her or read her books its worth a go as many things can be tried to solve the problem but not every thing suits every dog .Aparently a dog has 3 responses when placed in a confruntational situation Fight , Flight (run away) and Freeze . when she is on the lead she cannot run away she can on the other hand still Fight or Freeze dogs sense your anxiety in this sort of situation and will often choose to fight because they see it as there only choice . she is a big dog to handle and you dont want to make things worse by keeping her away completely from other dogs as she will never learn to accept them . Have you ever seen the way they deal with this on Dog Borstal , the dog that is agressive is walked slowly but purposley in full view of another dog also on a lead passing each other but at a good distance to start with gradually getting closer passing each other with a shaker bottle each time your dog makes noises or lunges at the advancing other dog you shake the bottle loudly saying leave very loud . this is telling your dog its not a good response and eventually with a willing person and a calm dog you may crack it , it may take lots of practice too .
    Andrea

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice