Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Does your puppy behave like this?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Jakrr, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Jakrr

Jakrr PetForums Newbie

The past few days she seems to be growling at herself, she has a toy in her mouth in the video but she's been doing it with nothing in her mouth growling at her basket and running around it growling. When I take her out she's fine.
    https://streamable.com/gvld8

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Only in the crate?

3. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Normal puppy playing. Nothing to worry about :)

As an aside, she doesn't need to wear her harness and collar while in the crate and it could be a hazard.

Lurcherlad, PixieSpoodle and lorilu like this.
  4. Jakrr

Jakrr PetForums Newbie

Yes

Okay thanks, I'll take them off now we were only back from a walk.

ouesi and lorilu like this.
  5. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Looks like she's having a jolly good time. It's good that she has learnt to entertain herself and is obviously comfortable with the crate door being closed :)

6. WillowT

WillowT PetForums VIP

Ahhhhh, I remember those days.... growling at the little toy shaking it with her head.... oh, and running around the whole place with her bed! We didn't do Crate training. Such a joy

Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  7. Laurapen61

Laurapen61 PetForums Newbie

It also sounds like attention seeking behaviour. Are you ignoring her or just not giving her attention? Maybe she has learnt that a growl will get a reaction from you! Had this problem (thought at one point i had squirrels in the attic or ghosts!!!) and was advised to not to interact in any way with her - not even look at her when she does it. My pup learnt that growling wouldnt get her anywhere and soon stopped it. (And no i dont have squirrels or ghosts lol)

8. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Did you watch the video?
    It's not attention seeking behavior. It's a puppy playing. Totally normal, natural, and nothing to be concerned about.

As an aside, I have no problem with my dogs attempting to communicate with me via vocalizations. I'm not sure why you would want to ignore a dog trying to get your attention. Sure, you may not want to give your attention at that moment, but there is nothing wrong with acknowledging the communication, and then just say "no" or "enough" or whatever the cue is for "I'm not going to pay attention to you right now."

Sairy and Jamesgoeswalkies like this.
  9. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

That clip is adorable ....how to play-kill a plastic shoe :D!

J

ouesi likes this.
  10. Michebe

Michebe PetForums Member

Aww shes adorable :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice