Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Does your dog seem click with dogs that look the same as them?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by BabyBlu, Aug 21, 2013.

1. BabyBlu

BabyBlu PetForums Senior

Just took Edie for a walk and we came across another Blue Staffie boy her age. I was also walking the neighbour's Dachshund, who is Edie's best friend, and the Blue Boy was with two Shar Peis.
    The two Staffies immediately clicked and ran around together, wrestling and running in and out of the lake. They ran so close like 2 horses pulling a carriage. It was a joy to see. Loads of people stopped to watch because they looked so handsome and fun.
    Edie has gone past the age now of running around with other dogs. She usually gives them a sniff and then that's it, or if they are very young she might play a quick game of tag. But with this boy it was a kind of instant recognition.
    A few months back this had happened with another blue staffie boy her age but she did already know him, but hadn't seen him in ages.

Do you think dogs have an affinity with the same breed in the same colouring and age?

The Shar Peis tried to join in but the blue pair were only interested in each other. (the dachshund hid between my legs!)

2. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

Fitz and Wybie (whippets) are both definitely much more interested in sighthounds than any other type of dog.

It's not that odd really, I don't think it's unusual for different breeds or types to have differing play styles and it's only natural that they would enjoy playing with dogs that play in the same way they do themselves.

With our lot it's chasing and coursing each other, it's very rare we meet a dog that is willing to play like that that isn't a sighthound, hence why we don't let them play with strange dogs :lol:

3. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

Pippi loves other Jack Russells.

Bizkit only likes pointy smooth coated dogs. He's prejudiced against straffies and Border Collies.

I'm sure they can differentiate between breeds but I'm not sure if they recognise their own breed or just like meeting dogs with the same playing style as them :)

4. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

No Rossi doesn't.

He clicks with 'quick' dogs like grey hounds & whippets who are up for a game of chase! And a Great Dane we recently met who was extremely playful :D

5. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Yes mine is much better with bull breeds. Not so hot with busy dogs like spaniels or collies.

6. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

Chance does seem quite comfortable around other ambulls, particularly solid white ones, and theres quite a few of them at weight pulling so yes i would say he does 'click' with them!

harvey gets on well with all dogs, but he seems to prefer alot bigger dogs to play with!

7. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Owned By A Yellow Lab PetForums VIP

Dex seems to click with any female dog :)

The only one I've ever seem him avoid is a lovely but very large GSD x Husky. Dex looked visibly scared when she tried to engage with him!

He gets on with most dogs including a few fellow Labs. But if a young bouncy male Lab tries to play, Dex simply will not tolerate them.

He won't engage with GSDs or Rough Collies.

8. BabyBlu

BabyBlu PetForums Senior

What's weight pulling?

9. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Spen doesn't really seem to have a preference. The love of his life is a husky/gsd mix, a pure husky comes a close second. Then there's Rupert, some sort of french hunting dog, and Khan the rottweiler and Jessie the munsterlander. He completely ignores Senna and Scoobie the two Labs we see most often, has a brief play with Milo then ignores him and a quick sniff with Cooper then ignores him. So out of the 4 Labs we know he's not really interested in any of them lol. But they're all male and he's far more interested in the ladies.

10. bearcub

bearcub PetForums VIP

Yes Florence's best buddy is another Chocolate Lab called Sammy, they just adore each other and would play for hours if their mean old owners would let them ;)
    Freya does like chasing other very fast dogs but doesn't particularly gravitate towards any dogs really.

11. Pupcakes

Pupcakes Lady of The Terrors.

Yeah Charlie has always been great with other Jack Russells, even a young male Jack humping him, he never squabbles with them, even if they get shirty with him, male, female, hes like "Yeah its cool man, we gotta stick together"

Dottie just doesnt want any dog near her!

12. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

We don't meet enough other RRs for me to be sure but he does seem to recognise the breed in terms of being a bit more excitable. His favourite dogs are sighthounds - plenty of speed for games of chases. When we went to a dog fun day last year there were different groups of dogs and he was drawn straight to the pointies.

13. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

My cavs are certainly very breedist. If i bring a cav in to foster they get up and greet them and then invite them onto the sofa. The few times i bring a different breed to foster they just open an eye and go back to the important thing in life sleeping. The others dont really care the two big ones tend to go towards collies but they both love rough collie chase games the only lurcher (greyhound x GSD) pinned Ollie down so he being a sensative soul avoids pointy types which is a shame as they would run with him.

14. delca1

delca1 PetForums VIP

Indie gets a bit freaked out by German Shepherds, once sniffed she's fine.

15. Pezant

Pezant PetForums VIP

Oh yeah, Henry goes nuts for other Setters, especially English. He definitely recognises them and is far more keen to meet them than any other breed.

16. Huskybob

Huskybob PetForums Member

Absolutely. When Broder was in someones front garden he wouldn't react or pay any notice if a dog went past... unless it's was a husky. Then he'd go mad, rearing up, howling and trying to get to it to play!

17. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

All the hounds and the iggies love to meet other sight hounds. I know the iggies are toy breeds but they do assoctiate more with hounds than other toy breeds not just because they live with them.

The chihuahuas don't really bother about others they will associate with all the other dogs we meet whatever their breeds but saying that we don't really see any other chihuahuas when out walking.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice