UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bess obviously does! She didn't want to come home and tried to go back into the house! Okay, so Gill had got her Irish Setter boy there to help Bess relax (which I thought was a lovely touch), and apparently they'd had a fine old run around together, but I was really pleased.

I'd always felt guilty when leaving my spaniel at the groomers because although he'd go in calmy enough and the girl was nice, he couldn't wait to get home, and was kept in a crate while he was there.

So I didn't expect that kind of enthusiasm from Bess! :)

Anyway, here are the pics of what she looks like. She's not posing very well. Her long ears have gone, her necks been tidied up, and the tufts of hair between her toes has gone too.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Harvey is sending a wolf whistle to Bess ;) She is looking very tidy and shiny - glad she had a good time. I think it's a weight off your mind when you find a good groomer who both you and the dog are comfortable with.

Willow doesn't mind going to the groomers either, because she's been going from a young age she is used to Kim our groomer so I don't mind leaving her. Kim even takes her for a little walk once she's done while she's waiting for us to collect her. Apparently she stands really well for her pampering and she goes into one of those drying cupboards after her wash and Willow even lays down in it & nods off she's so relaxed :cool:

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Don't know, Rory never needed groomers (I always wanted to send him though for some reason), and our local one says although Ginges coat will need stripping, its not fully through yet. I know that she will be fine, Sarah is awesome with all the dogs she does, a proper dog whisperer. Our friends collie goes, Rosie is quite DA, but when they go to pick her up she is normally found on Sarahs bed with her staffie, her yorkie cross and (the most amazing bit) the cat. Another friend has two dogs, a fluffy buffy and smooth fox, they both go even though its only buffer who needs clipping, she picks them up and drops them off, and Elsie gets a bit of smelly stuff too! The only bad thing is she has a penchant for glitter and bows :mad:

Bess looks so sleek and full of life. A very good example of a setter to my untrained eye.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Doesn't Bess look primped and preened?? :D When's the next show you're taking her to?

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doesn't Bess look primped and preened?? :D When's the next show you're taking her to?
We're at Maidstone on Sunday an Open show, and then at the Pointer andSetter show in Coventry on the 3rd. That's a championship show so I'm not expecting anything. That will be an adventure as we're staying in a hotel overnight with her. :eek: and then we've another Open a fortnight later In Haywards Heath. Will probably stay there too if all goes well in Coventry as my sons at Uni in Brighton.

Just hope she behaves! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well that is news to me, I never knew Setters needed to go to the groomers or Spaniels either for that matter! ha ha :)
Setters need the fur trimmed from under the pads of their feet and between their toes. I used to do it myself on my old setter but it would be a battle with Bess. They also need their ears trimmed else they get matted. Again, I used to do my old setter .... Lets just say I'm not a hairdresser. :rolleyes:

My spaniel didn't moult and his hair kept growing. He looked like a sheep unless you get him trimmed. He used to have a short back and sides all over as he felt the heat dreadfully. Even in the middles of winter he'd lie in front of the front door like a draft excluder - whilst the Dane was lying in front of the roaring fire. :)

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
You have said elsewhere that the groomer tells you off if she hasn't got enough weight on. So just had to add, she really does look stunning in these pictures, you can see every bit of her form, she is so shiny as well which highlights it, so the pics look a bit like one of those old fashioned oil paintings they used to get done of prize farm animals, where every single muscle was defined anatomically to show off their animals. :confused: Hope you take that the way its intended by no means does Bess look like a farm animal she is beautiful!

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You have said elsewhere that the groomer tells you off if she hasn't got enough weight on. So just had to add, she really does look stunning in these pictures, you can see every bit of her form, she is so shiny as well which highlights it, so the pics look a bit like one of those old fashioned oil paintings they used to get done of prize farm animals, where every single muscle was defined anatomically to show off their animals. :confused: Hope you take that the way its intended by no means does Bess look like a farm animal she is beautiful!
Well at times I have been known to call her a cow! :D

Thanks for that - I think she's looking pretty good now, and the groomer agreed she had filled out (but needed to fill out more :) ), but she does seem to like her. She has got very muscular legs (Bess, not the groomer :eek:) which is probably from me overexercising her. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Groomers always make me laugh when they say Ella has been 'fine', 'no problem', etc. I used to work at a groomers and have seen first hand how she behaves when she's being groomed, to say she hates it is an understatement!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
As a groomer, mine are very indifferent...they know there's no choice :D

But I have seen many a customer being dragged up my driveway to get here :lol: One Beardie in particular will run in, put his paws on the work top where the biscuits are. Takes his biscuit and sits on the sofa to eat it, when he's finished he gets himself on the table and waits for his brush :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
She looks gorgeous!
I never knew they needed to go to the groomers either, still, makes sense.
Milo hates the groomers. He puts the breaks on at the door and shakes and shakes. He goes mad when I pick him up. He went last week and although he looks great when I pick him up this is a bit concerning. My mum used to take him whilst I was at work when I lived at home so I never saw this. I think I may look for a new groomer. He is frightened of other dogs and this groomer had a few loose and bouncing around. She had a great big leonberger who jumped over the counter when we arrived and her door was open. I would be cross if that was my dog :/ !!

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Only on her toe nails!
she no want her toenails painted pink? ha

when i took the samoyed i walk she loved it and investigated everywhere. the only bit she didnt like was when i left. but i also discovered that she played up more when she could see me so i hid round the corner when she was being finished off ha.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.