Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Does your dog bite their nails?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Emmily, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Emmily

Emmily PetForums Member

Jena my 10 year old Yorkie cross has bit her nails since she was a puppy, I've never had to clip them due to her sorting them out herself.

My previous two dogs didn't bite their nails, is this unusual in dogs or common?

2. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

How funny, nope mine don't although Rusty adores chewing his foot, he'll sit there with his whole foot in his mouth just chewing away. :lol:

3. crazybones

crazybones PetForums VIP

no she doesnt she just bites her feet... i wish she bloody would though save me a fortune lol

4. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I don't know any dogs who do this although my sisters eldest cat does ... he then spits the bitten claws out across the room - nice! I don't know if it's a learned behaviour as her other 2 also started doing it.

5. rona

rona Guest

Yes, Muddy does it, and we have never cut his nails.

6. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Ollie bites his dewclaws so we never have to cut them, and his normal nails stay short enough from walking on pavements so we don't have to clip them either.

7. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

The Shepherds both do this, as did our old Shepherd. Bob doesn't though, but his nails wear down on their own, I do his dewclaws when needed

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice