Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Does your breed have 'special needs'?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Wyrd, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Wyrd

Wyrd PetForums VIP

Thought it might be interesting to see if any other breeds have any 'special needs'.

Dalmatians are prone to urate stones so need a low purine diet. They are also more prone to deafness. (other Dally owners feel free to add more :D)

2. missRV

missRV PetForums VIP

My previous dog's breed is prone to canine hip dysplacia... average life span 10-14 years, she lived to a healthy 17/18 years.

My current dog is a mixed breed (kc spaniel x bichon) so with the KC spaniel comes a number of health problems but the bichon tends to be healthy. Her being a mixed breed should hopefully let her see some health benefits. She has problems with her ears but we clean them out daily and her eyes get gunky but they get cleaned daily too

3. Sheen and Eli

Sheen and Eli PetForums VIP

Sighthounds are very sensitive to pain, they're not just mardy.
    The vet used a cat needle for E's jabs :D

4. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

My Weimie's special needs are me...or any human. He really doesn't like being left on his own (although he got an excellent report at the kennels).

5. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

Spinones are prone to bloat, they also can have a horrible condition called Cerebral Ataxia which affects movement and dogs with this condition will be PTS before they reach 12 months old as it's such a severe disease.

Ridgebacks can get dermoid sinus(basically a hole in their back) which needs to be removed surgically, and i think rotties can have weak cruciates. Labs obviously can get eye issues and all 3 breeds can get HD and bloat.

Thankfully both my boys are good and healthy :eek:

6. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

Irish setter owners need a sense of humour! :rolleyes:

7. Netpon

Netpon PetForums Member

Rotties are prone to cruciate problems, entropian (ingrowing eyelids), hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia and bone cancer. They are a robust, stoic breed so by the time they let you know something is wrong they've probably been suffering for a while

8. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Chihuahuas are prone to luxating patellas and heart problems are becoming more common.
    Dachshunds can get PRA (causes blindness) and you need to be careful of their spines. I have puppy stairs to the bed and the sofas, try and restrict access to the stairs indoors and in the garden as much as possible and make sure I only ever pick Hannah up by supporting her properly....and she's only half a Dachshund!:rolleyes:

9. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

No.

They are prone to HD, ED, eye defects, but they shouldn't really get any of these if they are from health tested lines, so no I wouldn't say my breed has any special needs. Obviously bloat too, but that is a general large breed thing.

10. 5headh

5headh PetForums VIP

Agreed! Alfred isnt a whippet X he is a wimpet :p

11. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

Danny was digging in his bed with his head upside down and resting on the bottom of the bed...I'm going to say yes. ;)

12. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

Labs are also prone certain cancers: melanoma, sarcoma and mast cell. The Animal Health Trust are researching these at the moment.

I think they're fairly prone to epilepsy too?

Healthy parents sadly doesn't necessarily mean healthy puppies so with all breeds health problems can pop up even from tested stock, although the chances are far slimmer.

As for their mental adolescent stage - DEFINITELY special needs! :eek:

13. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

ha ha ha I would agree!!!

14. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

You mean me? :blush:

Seriously, Sarplaninacs do have 'Special Needs'

The most crucial requirements are space and the relative peace and quiet within that space.

These two criteria alone are the main considerations for the welfare of these animals.

If they are not working Dogs then it is the responsibility of the owner to provide adequate stimulation in order to prevent them from becoming bored.

Sars just don't play with conventional dog toys.

Long slow walks in areas where they can be free to wander and investigate their surroundings and the environment at their own leisure.

Suburbia is not recommended for this Dog and it would be an inconsiderate and cruel act confining them to such.

15. foxyrockmeister

foxyrockmeister PetForums VIP

My nickname for my two, other than the pickles, is 'special needs' :rolleyes:

16. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

Yorkies are prone to trachea collapse and mine has a harness rather than a flat collar.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice