Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Does this sound alot?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by sarybeagle, May 26, 2010.

1. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

Hi we took our 2 cats (aged 5 & 7 mum and daughter) to our vets last night for a general check up and worm treatment etc and she noticed mini (the younger) has gingervitus (sp) and plaque on teeth causing gums to be quite inflammed. Maddy the mum had similar but more just plaque than inflammation. We were quite shocked as eating normally, they eat james well beloved dry food and always have done, no smells coming form mouth to indicate any problems.

Now vet has given us an estaimate on getting teeth cleaned under a GA and it has come to 377 each :eek6: she has estimated for 3 tooth extractions as a precaution for costs incase once she cleans teeth she needs to take one/3 out etc but it did seem quite a lot.

The break down pretty much lists the GA and tooth extractions as the most being 101 for the teeth removal. 141 for the GA. Sorry no pound signs on this laptop!

We have the money and will be getting them both done together but just wondered if this sounded averagely priced or bit high? Many thanks xxx

2. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

YIKES thats alot :eek: I think it depends on the vets our is a PDSA one & they always say it could be up to £300 depending on how long it takes & how many extractions :( our last cat there was Casper that was £197 his bill says
    5 min dental time - scale & polish
    15 min extraction time he now only has 2 teeth left :eek: Im not sure how many he had out as was there about 4 yrs ago & had a few out then :rolleyes: he's fine with only 2 teeth though & Pepsi his sister is the same only 2 teeth they are both 12yrs though.

Simba 16 & Scutter 12 both have all there teeth just one of those things :rolleyes:

3. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Start giving them raw chicken wings a couple of times a week and it should help clean their teeth greatly - unless they actually have rottten teeth that need extracting immediately I'd try this for a few months and see if it helps, it often does. Many cats on a dry only diet need dental work and many cats on a raw diet don't.

4. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

agree with spid although i would get them the treatment they need now... then continue with a new routine.

RMB (raw meaty bones) are excellent for helping to keep teeth clean, however from the osund of things they need antibiotics and extractions. Get those done first then work to keep them healthy.

If there is a good groomer in your area, book them in a couple of times a year too for a full pamper session. This usually includes a tooth descale as part of the service too so well worth £20 out of your pocket to prevent further problems.

5. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

Thank you for the replies. I shall look into the RMB idea. We are getting it done as its important and Id hate to think of them being in any pain xx

6. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Sounds about right. Dentals are always soooo expensive.:(
    My Cornish Rex cats have hardly any teeth left in their heads which is more due to genetics then diet. All the others from that line I know have terrible teeth. I always sent mine in at the 8-10 yrs mark for a check just to get any major work done before they were too old.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice