Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Does this menu sound ok for my pups?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Halifu, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Halifu

Halifu PetForums Member

Hi, we have been feeding our 2 pups a raw diet since Xmas.
    All seems to be going well.
    They have enjoyed everything we've put I front of them.
    We have introduced chicken,lamb ,beef,rabbit ,fish& tripe
    Still working on the oval quantities,we to have had some mr whippy moments !
    We're just about to place our next food order and the menu for one of them looks like this:

Day1: a.m =lamb & tripe /100g liver
    pm /meaty bone
    Day2: a.m chicken /heart/
    P.m meaty bone
    Day3: a.m beef
    P.m meaty bone
    Day 4: a.m lamb& tripe some heart
    P.m meaty bone
    Day5: a.m chicken 100g liver
    P.m meaty bone
    Day6: a.m lamb 100g kidney
    P.m whole fish & meaty bone
    Day7: rabbit whole.
    We are working on a ratio of 70:20 10 meat /bone /oval.
    The morning meals are either 650 gm of minced meat or lumps of meat,
    The bones in the evening are varied types ie lamb ,chicken carcass ,oxtail etc & roughly 250gm there is also some fresh fruit,veg +eggs in with the above.
    Does this sound ok ?
    Is there enough protein calcium in the diet for growing lads ?
    The above quantities are for a male ridgeback pup estimated adult weight 45kg
    Charlie the choc lab's proportionally less as we estimate his adult weight to be 30-32kg
    I'm a bit OCD and have to wheigh everything out at the mo lols:D
    Any comments advice welcom.
    H.:)

2. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

gosh, my poor dogs just get whatever I feel like giving them chucked at them plus a weekly meal of liver and weekly meal of kidney
    right old mean mummy me

You will get there on the offal just keep building it up. Looks good to me,
    How do they cope with each new protein source, is it worth introducing another? who do you order off of?

My most anal thing is the ordering, I have spreadsheets made up for both of my suppliers so I can load in what I want, it works out the cost for me and I just ping it over to the supplier ready for my delivery.

3. Staffx

Staffx PetForums Senior

I'm glad I'm not the only one with spreadsheets :eek:

The spreadsheet give me piece of mind to know I'm getting the % right over the order,then he just gets chucked it in any order...ish!

That menu sounds ok to me, but I am no expert. I think some may say it depends on how much meat the bone has on and whether there is any bone in the morning mince? As if like me the mince has bone in and the bones aren't that meaty it maybe a bit too much bone.

4. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

Looks fine to me :)

5. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

It looks good - I'd stick to one meat source until you get rid of the runs (where did Mr whippy come from?)

I has Spreadsheets too!
    I am another that just orders and chuck whatever I reach out of the freezer.

6. bearcub

bearcub PetForums VIP

If you're am meals are the minces with bones in then there's too much bone, I would say. If they're not with bone then it looks a good menu but I am no expert. Lot's of nice variety there - lucky boys :)

7. Halifu

Halifu PetForums Member

Hi babycham, so far we placed an order with the dog food co and started making some local contacts, butcher & a game keeper :)
    Our 1st was quite large nearly filled up the chest freezer we bought for the task in hand!
    They have copped really well with each protein source so far.
    We tried one meat type at a time for a week with chicken carcass as the main boney content during that initial period.
    Seemed nIce and easy to crunch up for both of them + we had an abundance of it.

8. Halifu

Halifu PetForums Member

Hi, yes a spread sheet is the way forward :)
    The meat weve been feeding in the mornings is usually boneless
    H.

9. Halifu

Halifu PetForums Member

Hi SLB , the mr whippy only really comes when we up their liver quoter they get a softer poop
    The next day usually on the morning Walk.
    Just a bit worried as they had no oval for the 1st weeks whilst we were getting them used to the different meats.
    With out the liver poops are fine .
    Would it be ok to up the bone and drop some of the meat on liver days to try & firm up poo's?
    They r slowly getting used to there liver and Defo like it yum. :)

10. Halifu

Halifu PetForums Member

Hi bearcub, Most of the meat meals are pretty boneless at the mo, just the pm bones and some recreational throughout the day sometimes
    Variety's the spice o live :D
    H.

11. Halifu

Halifu PetForums Member

Thanks for your opinions.
    Of to cut up some rabbit for tommorows dindins :D

12. suesdogs15

suesdogs15 PetForums Member

I am sure if you have read any of the other posts you will know of my "poo obsession", :D. If you are still getting Mr Whippy poos I would give a little less offal but give it more often ie daily until they have gotten used to it. When they have got used to it,I often use offal if they have had a really boney meal and the poos are abit hard. I give them their weekly amount, say liver,all in one meal and all is sorted. I haven't been doing it ,Raw ,that long but know now when they are likely to be a bit hard. I still haven't got my head round weighing yet, if I guess they end up with loads too much, not that they would complain :D. Still the best thing I have ever done for them

13. Kc Mac

Kc Mac PetForums Senior

Sounds like a nicely varied menu :D

Also not wanting to hijack but spreadsheets :confused: Can someone pls email or PM me one so I can look. I never thought of spreadsheets :eek: but I can operate them now :p. If it helps with quantities feeding/ordering then I want :D

14. Halifu

Halifu PetForums Member

Hi ,yes a poo obsession!
    Nothing wrong with a good old healthy one of these :D
    Seems like we are developing this to ! lol
    Thanks for the advice, that's what we're going to try small amounts each day:)
    Wouldn't mind looking at these spread sheets to,technology is not 1 of our strong points !
    H.

#14 Halifu, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice