Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Does spaying/Neutering early stunt their growth??

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by ChrisKon, Feb 7, 2013.

1. ChrisKon

ChrisKon PetForums Junior

Hi guys & gals,

I've booked Max & Buena to be spayed/neutered this month. (I feel a bit bad :()

I've heard mixed opinions on whether this process stops them growing to their full potential. I was just wondering if any one has any knowledge on this topic and whether it's all jibber-jabber or any truth to it?

They will be approaching 6 months....

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

NO NO NO.

there is absolutely NO evidence that early neutering (not that 6 months is considered early but normal) stunts there growth. In fact early neutering (before 16 weeks) studies have shown that males in particular grow 2% BIGGER than entire toms.

3. Tylah

Tylah PetForums Member

I'm not sure if this is relevant to you or not, but I have a cat called Murfy who was a stray. He wasn't neutered and acted like a typical tom cat. The thing is even though he has now been neutered since December, he still has strong smelling wee, sprays a lot outside, has a general musky scent and if a female is in heat he's straight out the door. My other 2 boys who were neutered as kittens don't act like this, their wee has no scent, they smell like fabric conditioner generally and have no interest in females.

Murfy is bigger than my other 2 but I think that is mainly down to his face, he has developed the cheek pouches, which my others don't have. Here is a pic of when he first moved himself in.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      140.1 KB
      Views:
  4. kimberleyski

kimberleyski PetForums Senior

Can't comment for Frank at the moment as he is booked in for neutering in a couple of weeks as he will then be 5 months.

However I do have a friend with a very gorgeous Bengal, he was micro-neutered by the breeder at 12 weeks. Her vet commented the other day that at 6 months he was the biggest 6 month old cat she had ever seen. (Other than a Maine Coon obv)!

So no I don't think it stunts growth......

5. Kyria

Kyria PetForums VIP

Hi,
    I believe it takes quite a few weeks to get all the hormones out, this is why he is probably acting like a whole tom. Ive even heard that some cats when neutered can still make kittens straight after, My cat was nearly a year when he was neutered its been about a month now since he was done but im not letting him out until the spring.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice