UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to buy from Food4Cats... if Enzo left a bit of food in the bowl, the meat would go brown with the open air.

I am feeding him Prize Choice at the moment and forgot to pick it up in the morning before I left for work (really bad, I know...) and when I got home... it was still pink!!!!! :confused:

Does Prize Choice have any kind of coloring in it?

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
I've used Prize Choice for years, on and off, mostly coming back to it at times because it's easy to get hold of in [email protected] Having just looked on their web site I notice in the nutritional blurb for each variety it says "no artificial colourants". Note however the word 'artificial' so perhaps it contains natural colourants?

·
Registered
880 Posts
I used to buy from Food4Cats... if Enzo left a bit of food in the bowl, the meat would go brown with the open air.

I am feeding him Prize Choice at the moment and forgot to pick it up in the morning before I left for work (really bad, I know...) and when I got home... it was still pink!!!!! :confused:

Does Prize Choice have any kind of coloring in it?
Hi Mlynnc - i remember talking to you on hear a while ago about raw suppliers now that food4cats has closed down... and you were concerned re cost/quantity for the other raw supplier - Darlings?

Just to let you know, i collected my order the other week and i managed to fit ALL of it (21kgs) into 2 1/2 drawers in my small under-counter freezer! It has been packaged differently (more like thinner sausages) than the sample pack and i have to say that it is absolutely fantastic - better quality than food4cats to be honest. AND Vicky there told me that if i collect (not sure where you live?) that i can order less than the min order as the only have the minimum order in place because of lossing money on postage and packaging etc... so if you were keen to try it again i can highly recommend them - it works out at 85p a day for my two cats... (it was about £78 for 21kgs) so for one kitty it'd last longer and work out at 44p a day!! It is a big outlay and more expensive than food4cats but such good quality. Just thought i'd let you know as i know you were loving feeding Enzo his raw food from food4cats.

How is he getting on with Price Choice? Are you adding offal and bone etc as i thought it wasnt complete...??

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
As an aside, have you had any issues with the chicken mince from Darlings The Twins? It seems a lot more finely ground than the trial packs. I phoned Darlings and turns out they changed the blade. :( My cats now won't eat it.

·
Registered
880 Posts
As an aside, have you had any issues with the chicken mince from Darlings The Twins? It seems a lot more finely ground than the trial packs. I phoned Darlings and turns out they changed the blade. :( My cats now won't eat it.
Hi Hobbs

Not tried the chicken yet - they've been on the Lamb which i (and they) really like the look of... They love chicken normally but will see how they get on.

Did Vicky at Darlings offer a refund or a swap? Am sure they do a no quibble guarantee or something - am sure i saw something on their website??

I hope mine like it cos bought 7kgs of each mince!!

Could you put some rough chunks of other meat in the chicken mince to make it more chunky or to their liking??!

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
They were going to get back to me :) I do hope that we will be able to sort it because I don't really fancy just feeding my boys two flavours. I did try to beef it up with something else, I even tried mixing in the other minces, but nope, they are having none of it.

And yup, I got 8 kg (now 6 with a lot of wastage) of the stuff in my freezer. :eek: Lamb and beef are not an issue, they are proper minces.

I would be really interested in knowing how yours get on with the chicken.

They also said that they are now thinking of including liver in their recipes. They are apparently also thinking of taking out that herbal stuff from the cat minces.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Darlings?

AND Vicky there told me that if i collect (not sure where you live?) that i can order less than the min order as the only have the minimum order in place because of lossing money on postage and packaging etc... ?
Oh, thats interesting to know, as I live near to where they are based. When I had the taster pack a while ago, it was dropped off on their way to one of their packing places - which I believe is actually in the town I live in. :)

·
Registered
880 Posts
Oh, thats interesting to know, as I live near to where they are based. When I had the taster pack a while ago, it was dropped off on their way to one of their packing places - which I believe is actually in the town I live in. :)
They live near pewsey - it took me 30 mins to go and collect which was def worth the £10 saving! And good to know they would take smaller orders for regulars who'd collect.

·
Registered
880 Posts
They were going to get back to me :) I do hope that we will be able to sort it because I don't really fancy just feeding my boys two flavours. I did try to beef it up with something else, I even tried mixing in the other minces, but nope, they are having none of it.

And yup, I got 8 kg (now 6 with a lot of wastage) of the stuff in my freezer. :eek: Lamb and beef are not an issue, they are proper minces.

I would be really interested in knowing how yours get on with the chicken.

They also said that they are now thinking of including liver in their recipes. They are apparently also thinking of taking out that herbal stuff from the cat minces.
Yes she told me the same thing re liver - which is a must in their diet so its good they're adding it.

Re the chicken mince, what about adding something like a bit fish 'liquor' on top? its sure fire way to get mine to eat anything if they're being fussy!

Is there any reason you'd not be happy to feed your kitties just the other two flavours - out of interest? Only ask because kitties actually do better on one flavour for a lengthy period of time... or so i've read.

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
Yes she told me the same thing re liver - which is a must in their diet so its good they're adding it.

Re the chicken mince, what about adding something like a bit fish 'liquor' on top? its sure fire way to get mine to eat anything if they're being fussy!

Is there any reason you'd not be happy to feed your kitties just the other two flavours - out of interest? Only ask because kitties actually do better on one flavour for a lengthy period of time... or so i've read.
Good thinking about the oil - I could drizzle on some salmon oil. But since they are normally not fussy eaters, and love chicken, my bet is that they don't like the consistency - too slushy.

You know, I have always had a rota, in terms of flavours as well as brands (when they were still mainly eating commercial cat food). Also, I always thought that it is good to have variety as different meats have different levels of nutrients, proteins etc.

But who knows; there is so much contradictory advice out there on how and what and when and in what to feed your cat. The variety works for mine, they also don't get bored with their food, but it may not work for everyone.

·
Registered
269 Posts
None of mine will touch the chicken mince....it's almost liquid it's so slushy! I only got 2kg so will try mixing it in with other stuff - I might try it with the whole rabbit mince I got from Woldsway.

~x~

·
Registered
269 Posts
Sorry -just realised that the thread is about Prize Choice...not Darlings! I tried the Prize Choice when food4cats went as it seemed good value for money but none of mine would eat it. I thought the texture was horrible....sort of gritty (from bone I guess) and the colour was odd....very Pink no matter what the flavour.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.