Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Does neutering always change dogs personality???

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by xxxannxx, Aug 13, 2009.

1. xxxannxx

xxxannxx PetForums Newbie

Hiya

A friend recently told me that she regretted having her dog neutered as although she wouldn't breed him she felt it completely changed his personality, from being an incredibly active and playful dog, to being quite docile and quiet.
    This has concerned me, as I have a 5 month old Jack Russell x Yorkie, who I'm starting to think of having neutered as he is beginning to hump everything that moves :D.
    I know neutering is the responsible thing to do, but was wondering if anyone else has had experience of dogs 'changing' after neutering, and if you found this a positive change or a negative one??

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Have you tried training him not to hump? If you train him the "no" and "leave" commands you should be able to reduce the humping. If he tries it with other dogs, then teach him "off". Training should come before neutering.

Neutering doesnt always change the personality, but it doesnt always stop humping either.

3. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

Didn't change my jack or springer! training did though:)

4. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Hmm I don't know. My dog was neutered at 7 months and he's quite a calm dog but he's not docile. My sister's dog which is the same breed and same age hasn't been neutered and he's a looney. I'm not sure if I would have my dog neutered if I had the same choice again. They are more prone to weight problems when neutered and need less food and my dog is very attractive to other dogs since he's been neutered which is a pain at times.:rolleyes:

5. Savahl

Savahl Guest

Didnt change buster at all. he was done at 6 months and is still as bouncy, happy and outgoing as ever. It didnt stop his humping, training did. He continued to hump after he was done, and even now will still give his bed a go! We just say "NO" and he stops..

But we had him neutered as the in laws westie hasnt been spayed, and we didnt want any accidents! Rather than for behavioural issues

6. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

It hasnt changed Toffs attitude at all

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Both of mine were castrated at 9 months. Oscar is still hyperactive, we had problems keeping weight on him for years, and even now, at 11, he humps things and tries to mount other dogs.

Alfie is under confident. Never had a weight problem. I regret having him done so young, as i think its partially responsible for his nervousness and anxiety.

I think behavioural issues should be dealt with through training rather than neutering, and i wish i had known back then, what i know now, as i would have waited until full maturity atleast.

8. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Hi,
    Have a chat with your vet,you could always try the chemical castration first to see what effect it has before making the decision.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice