Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Does my rat have a urine infection?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by sharon.mackay, Nov 22, 2012.

1. sharon.mackay

sharon.mackay PetForums Junior

Hi everyone,

I adopted a couple of elderly rats last week, and the male STINKS! I expected a bit of odour but this is pretty bad. I keep guinea pigs and am used to smelly boys :laugh: But this seems excessive. Could he have a urine infection? He seems well, is eating and drinking ok. Runs about at play time.Anyone have any suggestions?

2. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

Have you checked for a penis plug?
    You may find he's not able to wash himself properly down below so needs help.
    It's like a thick cottage cheese blob on the end and if you don't remove it it can get very painful as it's stops the rat from weeing properly.

You need to gently between two fingers work the penis out from it's sheath to reveal it. Then gently remove the plug.

I'd say he could poss have one but to be certain you'd need to take him to the vets for a urine test.

3. sharon.mackay

sharon.mackay PetForums Junior

Thanks Amy I will have a look (after I've eaten :wink:) poor boy. He does have an eye infection so is possibly a bit run down.
    Thanks again Xx

4. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice