Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Does my Khaki Campbell need a vet?

Discussion in 'Poultry Health and Nutrition' started by FarmGirl21, Jun 23, 2009.

1. FarmGirl21

FarmGirl21 PetForums Newbie

Hello, I'm new to this forum and I'm desperate for some advice. My boyfriends family owns and runs a produce and flower farm, it's been in their family for many generations. Last summer we, my boyfriend (Chris), his brothers, and myself, thought it was time to add a little life to the place and we got our first ducklings and chicks (3 khaki campbells, 4 poultry hens, and 5 bantam chickens). Sadly, one night last fall someone accidently left the greenhouse door open and foxes got to most of the animals. Luckily we still have a poultry hen, Big Bird Betty, a bantam rooster, Leeka, and our buddy Jerry the Khaki Campbell. After the tragedy the boys decided it was time to make a real place for them to live. This summer we received two sheep from a family friend who could not keep them, we named them Bonnie and Clyde. There are two seperate enclosures in our "coop", one for the sheep and the other for Jerry and the chickens. Today, Chris watched in horror as Jerry got stuck in the sheep's side of the "coop". She was pecking at Clyde and he headbutted her into the doorframe. Jerry was unconsious for only a few seconds, but of course to my boyfriend it seemed like forever. He stayed with Jerry for the next few hours to make sure she was okay. She seemed like her injuries did not get the best of her and she was doing fine by the end of the day, but she still seemed lathargic and not her usual self. I really don't know much about ducks and truly nothing about their health and well-being. Is this something that she'll recover from in no time or should I take it more seriously and have her checked out by a professional? I just want Jerry to be okay, she's been through a lot for a little duck and we love her very much. She's even taken to mothering the new Khaki Campbell ducklings we brought in this summer. If anyone has any clue as to what I should do please help me! Thanks!

2. Ducky_Dad

Ducky_Dad PetForums Newbie

It sounds like it's more shaken up than in severe physical pain. Ducks try to hide their pain, though (however well they do or don't). I use herbs and natural medicine. I've had a duck with similar injury and have first figured what possible physical damage it could have recieved and given it the herb(s) to tend it, as follows:

Bone/Cartilidge Damage: Comfrey
    Bleeding/heart (internal or external): Cayenne Pepper
    Bruises/Pain: Lobelia
    General Healers and antibacterials: Apple Cider Vinegar (raw's best), Garlic, Lobelia herb

(Note: Small doses for small things. They won't hurt to have a whole lot, but they might make it throw-up (lebelia is used for this purpose in too large a dose, and a little cures a lot.)

If you get these in liquid or powder you can mix it in her water dish and she'll drink it an be pretty well treated. Honestly I think your little ducky needs time, but sometimes the best thing to do is take the safe path in life and I'd certainly act via vet or home-remedy. I don't guaruntee the herbs will save your ducky, but it's just as guarunteed as a professional vet.

I use a formula called "Dr. Christopher's Super Garlic Immune", it's literally a cure-all. It has saved dogs from an "instantly" deadly poison, and several places from severe plague and disease. You might will to look up "Dr. Christopher" on google and get some of his formulas to have on hand. I'm not trying to be a salesperson, I just know they work and would love to see you have the benefit.

3. FarmGirl21

FarmGirl21 PetForums Newbie

Thanks so much for your help! Jerry's certainly looking a lot better today and didn't seem too phased by being near the sheep. I will definitely check out those remedies though...I'm sure this won't be the last scare we have. :) Thanks again, you were such great help!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice