Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Does my cat miss her sister?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by claudius, Jul 16, 2009.

1. claudius

claudius PetForums Newbie

Hi all

i know it might sound like a stupid question but i was wondering if anybody knows if cats tend to miss their buddies. Unfortunately I lost a kitten last saturday (she got ran over), and I am left with only Tiffany who is just over a year. They were not litter mates, we got them both at 10 weeks but 3 months apart. We managed to get another 10 week old tortie (she is beautiful) last monday. Except the initial growling and hissing i have to say that tifany is doing great and she almost accepted the presence of the kitten. They get very close, and everything is fine, tiff suddenly became curious and she s really interested in what the kitten does, as i said everything is going i well. I would want to understand though if tiffany realises what happened to the cat that passed away, it s hard to tell if she s upset or not, we had the feeling that sometimes she goes looking for her buddy, or waiting for her beyond windows, but it s so hard to tell if she understands and suffer about the loss or not. On the bright side she eats fine and she is probably busy making friends with Bellinda the new kitten.

2. Shmitty!

Shmitty! PetForums Senior

Yes I think they do miss their buddies!!
    It does ease for them though, fairly quickly. They don't feel the pain and hurt at the loss that we feel, just the empty space for a while.
    New friends work wonders for them.

3. JoWDC

JoWDC PetForums VIP

So sorry to hear about the kitten. Tiffany will definately be missing her counterpart. The couple of times that Patch has had short stays at the vet's, Lucky (his real sister) has looked slightly lost & become more affectionate. Of course when he came back it was the complete opposite but that was the subject of a different thread.

Glad to hear that your new kitten is getting on with Tiffany.

4. Amy-manycats

Amy-manycats PetForums Senior

I am sure they do. I had a very sad year and lost 3 of my boys over the last year. Each time the remaining cats have become very affectionate and will follow me everywhere. They also tend to be generally moaping about. I think part of it is they pick up on your feeling too. Obviously whenever you lose a cat you are devastated and cats are very sensitive to your feelings too (even if they don't always show it)

5. kidsandcats

kidsandcats PetForums Member

I am so sorry for your loss! I lost my Ted who was just 1yrs old last month. He was hit by a car near our house (not a busy road). I kept his brother Dusty in for a few days then let him out as normal and two weeks to the day Dusty went missing. We found his body nearly a mile away on the a busy road. He must have gone looking for Ted as normally he wouldn't have gone near a busy road like that, he was nervous of loud noises and sudden movements. I just wish I had kept him in longer! I did a lot of research on the internet and read that if possible you should show the remaining cat the body of their lost sibling/companion as this makes them realise they are not coming back. In the wild they would see this all the time, have a sniff and then accept it. Had I read this when I first lost Ted I would have let Dusty see him but we kept him inside the house while we buried Ted. It can take anything from 2 weeks to 6 months for a cat to accept their companion has gone. Dusty moped around, went off his food a little and used to sit staring out of the door as if he was waiting for Ted to appear. You will need to show him lots of affection and play with him more to fill the empty void. You may want to read up on the pro's and con's of replacing a lost pet too as this can have different effects on the remaining pet. Good luck with what you decide to do. I so miss my two little friends. We are hoping to get two more kittens, going to see them tonight. So excited!!

6. Shmitty!

Shmitty! PetForums Senior

Oh god that is really sad. :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice