Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Does it matter if the cat delays getting their booster injections?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by fluffykittie, Jan 5, 2021.

1. fluffykittie

fluffykittie PetForums Member

They are indoor cats and I need another £100+ bill this month like I need a hole in the head.

I took them every year before because you're "supposed to" even though it always made one of them ill for 48 hours, also I vaguely remember something about Petplan saying the cats are supposed to have an annual dental examination. No idea if skipping or delays means all future years are void?

2. urbantigers

urbantigers PetForums VIP

They do need to have regular checks, e.g. dental check (just the cursory look in the mouth they get at a check up) if you ever want to claim for a dental. Petplan have recently pre-approved a claim for a dental for one of my cats but they required a complete history from my vet. If he hadn’t had yearly check ups, I don’t think they would have approved the claim.

You don’t have to have the actual booster though. Can you not just book a consultation and ask for a check up? It doesn’t have to be every 12 months to the day. If you are a month late, I don’t think that would be a problem (especially in the current climate).

3. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

my boy was due his boosters mid-November - when I rang the vets to book him in for his boosters and annual health check she told me he could go up to 3 months without a problem - so it's on my "to do" list to ring again and see if I can get him in before mid-February.

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

My cats are all insured with PetPlan, and one of them needed his first routine dental scale and polish (at age of 7) after having had his usual regular annual dental check by the vet.

PetPlan refused to reimburse me for the cost of the treatment, as they claimed that because my boy needed a dental it indicated he had underlying dental disease. (incidentally he had no gingivitis, but a bit of plaque) PetPlan also said that future claims for anything involving my cat's teeth, gums or mouth would be excluded.

When I complained strongly to PP about their decision they said they would reconsider allowing future claims if my cat needed no further dental treatment for a year and my vet was to write a report giving my cat a 100% clean bill of health for his teeth at the end of a year.

Frankly I was mystified by the whole thing..

5. fluffykittie

fluffykittie PetForums Member

just an update. My vets have declined to neither give my cats their annual booster nor to see them for an annual check up because "covid". Was told to ring back in April to see them with me stood outside in a tent and not before unless "life or death". I was mildly pleased that I wouldn't have to pay for the boosters for another 3 months but was far less happy about everything else.

6. urbantigers

They don’t sound very helpful!

7. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Be careful though. If your cats go over the 3 months Grace period, they'll have to restart the whole course again.
    Do you want to take that risk???
    It might be advisable to find another vet who will do the booster.

Summercat likes this.
  8. TaffyApple

TaffyApple Yoko's Servant

I sympathise. Yoko came to me in late June and I wanted to get her registered at a vet asap because she's my first cat and on a diet due to being a little "cuddly." It was murder finding anywhere that would accept her because of Covid. I've ended up somewhere I do not like solely because my first choices wouldn't have her.

I've been praying that I can switch her to somewhere else before she's due her boosters in May. But its always the same story "no new patients due to Covid."

I hope when it comes to April, they will be more co-operative for you.

9. Willow_Warren

Willow_Warren PetForums VIP

Out vets aren’t doing routine appointments at the moment due to lockdown. First cat & dog vaccines along with bunny vaccinations are happening but not boosters unless already up to 3 months over (ie at 15 months... which since lockdown only started a month ago hopefully cats aren’t approaching this timescale yet). Are any vets really doing anything different?

Ours had caught up on all overdue vaccinations from the last lockdown, but are probably creating a backlog again.

The advice is boosters can be up to 3 months over the 12 months (which takes Lola to the middle of April). Don’t see how insurance companies can argue a late annual check up given the “stay at home” requirements imposed on us all.

(p.s. do remember they that they are open for emergencies... remember reading random bits during last lockdown how people say their pet is unwell but vets aren’t open... which wasn’t the case)

10. urbantigers

I’m surprised that so many vets are operating an emergencies only policy when they are allowed to operate normally (just without owners going inside). My vets are doing everything as normal - they are a branch of medivet. I guess it must be due to individual practices deciding how they want to operate. I had the same problem with trying to go elsewhere when Kito was ill and my vets initially said they could only fit him in the next day. there is another vet they’ve previously been registered with as they stayed in their cattery once, but they said the same - can;t take new patients who already have a vet due to Covid.

I think the important thing about boosters is how important is it to keep them up to date. Are you likely to need to put them into a cattery for any reason (for example if you were ill and had to go into hospital). That would be the big thing for me as if I had to go into hospital, the boys would need to go to a cattery. If there is a reason like that I would make sure you tell them that - they may then consider it urgent. The other thing I would be worried about is whether my insurance policy would be invalid if they didn’t have an annual check up. I’d like to think an insurance company would understand the reason why it wasn’t done on time, but you know insurance companies - like to wriggle out of anything.

11. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Yes.
    I'm able to accompany my pet into the consulting room, observing Covid protocols.:)

12. Willow_Warren

Willow_Warren PetForums VIP

Well I looked at the bva website and followed their decision tree, my vets are following this advice. It has been advised that they can go up to 15 months for their booster without harm to health therefore I will continue to stay at home until such time as the booster is needed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice