Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Does it make me shallow? So wound up. :-(

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Milliepoochie, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

I have been looking around at kennels (again!) ready for the summer.

I went back to a Kennels we used previously with Millie - well the price for Millie had gone up and they wanted to charge alot more for Makita whether they shared or not was irrelevent. It was going to cost £35 a day eeeek thats £455 for our 12 day holiday (plus one day as you can only pick up during set hours!) :mad:

Then I popped into another Kennels on the way home from work, I wasnt allowed to see it then and there as they were 'closed' to the public. I was planning on visiting tomo but I was speaking to a lady in the village on my walk this evening and it turns out it's owned by her sister. The only problem is she really wound me up telling me that I feed my dogs crap food, need to get Makita's balls off ASAP, that I shouldnt be using a Flexi on either dog and our back garden fence isnt sturdy enough. (We live in tied accomodation with my OH work I am not buying a new fence mysef grrrr!). Is it sad that this has put me off the place before I have seen it?

Just to complicate matters this afternoon I also popped into another Kennels around the corner from us. I visited there last november but wasnt impressed as it seemed cold and you had to pay to keep a naff heatlight on overnight, which I know poor Millie would of spent every minute under that light to keep warm, she sleep under a duvet normally for goodness sake. But I popped in today as I know they board dogs for the local police and they do have large runs / kennels for larger dogs. Well I couldnt of been more pleasently suprised. The floors were spotless, the kennels were spotless and they were feeding Hills Science plan or James Wellbeloved. (Most Kennels feed Bakers or Waggs it seems :eek:). They were happy to book me a double kennel for the two (The double Kennels are huge!) and said if I am unsure closer to the time they would make sure there was room if they needed to be seperate (I explain Makita was new). The only downside is they dont go on walks (The owner was very honest, its her, her husband and their daughter and they have 60 dogs when at capacity.) but they have 10 huge grassed runs which the dogs are roated round throughout the day. Personally I think I prefer this to some of the kennels which dont seem to have their own land and ask you to send your dogs with a flexi, I would be petrified knowing a stranger was going to walk my two in a strange area.

Am I shallow for considering a Kennel which over the winter I didnt like the look of? Am I even shallower for not wanting to send my pooches to a kennel because of the owner?

I shouldnt even be letting this bother me :mad: Just starting to feel under pressure as most places will start booking up very soon for the summer once easter is out of the way. And dont really like being told I'm a naff dog owner :-(

2. Ren

Ren PetForums Senior

£35 a day? Wow... I guess you can't just get a family member/friend to petsit for you? :/

3. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Blimey thats a lot for kenneling! more than holiday costs for some humans:rolleyes:

4. Milliepoochie

I live 170 miles form most my family :( and I am not afraid to say I dont know to many people in my immediate area. We have been living here a year but it's safe to say our road is quite mature :D and to be honest I wouldnt really have the guts to ask anyone lol esp now we have our new boy.

5. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

I don't think it's shallow, you want the best for your dogs. You're going away for 12 days and i know i'd want to feel they were in capable hands and not be worrying because of little things. This kennel that wasn't so good might have changed ownership, or been renovated to better suit government standards, if you fee happy and confidant leaving your dogs there then what else matters??

6. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Nope not at all hen. It's a business the same as any other and if someone in a shop spoke to you like that then wouldn't go back :)

Chose the place that's best for your pups and suits all your needs

Em
    xx

7. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

8. Milliepoochie

It's definately the same owners but I am 95% sure the lady had a ridign accident so he was handling things on his own. I guess its also warmer and drier now. I think I need to sleep on it. So glad that when we get home they are coming on our honeymoon with us!

9. Milliepoochie

I know I can be abit over the top. When I first found my wedding dress refused to buy it as the woman was rude! I was so angry and emailed every shop in the South East of the UK and found it £100 cheaper in the end and only 15 miles away. Thank You:)

10. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

I don't think it's shallow at all, you have to be happy with where your dogs are staying whilst away. When we last went away, we only had the 2 dogs and as my parents had already told my sister that they wouldn't have her dog for them to go away (she wasn't housetrained) they told me that it wouldn't be fair for them to then take my boy for the week.
    We went to look at the kennels closest to us, the ones that my sister had used when she went away and I was mortified by what I saw. First off it was hidden down a dirt track and when we finally found the place, it was clear to see why it was hidden and also why they did a pick up and drop off service :rolleyes: I had to film the place to prove to my parents what a sh*t hole it was, then my daughter cried so they gave in :D

Our other dog at the time, Coco, went to stay with OH's mother and went on away on a little holiday in their motorhome with them :D

11. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

No worries :D xxxx

12. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I haven't read all of the replies, but after reading your first post what I have to say is this...

At the end of the day, they are not just dogs, they are your babies, part of your family. You wouldn't send your children somewhere you didn't feel 100% comfortable with, even if that is because the owners sister made you feel small.
    Although that last place didn't have a good first impression, I don't think first impression is the be all and end all, if you feel happy with it then go for it. I wouldn't worry about the walking if they have huuuge grass runs, they are not going to die from not having a walk while you are away, lol.

Personally I hate the idea of kenneling my dogs, but I rang around a few to get ideas of prices and the place that a few people reccomend, I wasn't keen on the way they spoke over the phone at all. But one place really sounded great and would be the first place I want to visit should I use kennels. They don't walk the dogs either but they do have a field, they are smaller and do not feed bakers, they don't put the dogs to bed until 8pm where the other places were 6, and play lots of games etc, they just really impressed me with how polite and forward with info they were.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice