Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Does familiarity breed contempt? Spats between cats

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by egyptianreggae, Oct 6, 2017.

1. egyptianreggae

egyptianreggae PetForums VIP

Hello! I used to frequent these parts a lot back in the day, but I haven't been around for a while. This is Tiny (on the left) and Simba (on the right.) I brought them home from a rescue centre back in 2012 after their previous owner passed away. I don't know a lot about their history but they're unrelated. Simba is roughly 13 and Tiny is 7-8 years old.

They've lived together for a long time now (probably since Tiny was a kitten, I reckon) and for the most part, they've got on very well. They eat and sleep next to each other and occasionally groom each other. However, lately, skirmishes appear to be more one-sided and frequent. I'm inclined to think Tiny is play-fighting like a kitten. He will sneak up on Simba, hide behind something and ambush him, gently biting him on the neck, leading to Simba taking ever more circuitous routes around the garden to try to avoid any sudden nasty surprises. Unfortunately, unlike a kitten, Tiny weighs about 6kg and can send Simba sailing through the air with very little effort. Simba's got a lot more vocal over the years, and will hiss and growl when Tiny does this. Is it a shifting of the power balance as they age? Has anyone else experienced this with two cats that have been together a long time (like an old married couple)?

22140926_10155838798142698_3051789356443654369_n.jpg

2. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Welcome back @egyptianreggae

Yes it can happen that the balance of power will shift in favour of the younger cat as time goes on, particularly when you have a age gap of several years. So long as it doesn't become constant harassment, or more vigorous they will probably be ok.

3. oliviarussian

oliviarussian Meeoow!

Lovely to see you and the gorgeous Tiny and Simba, they are looking very well despite their current spats!
    How are you? you’ve been missed x

egyptianreggae likes this.
  4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

As a cat ages s?he becomes more vulnerable. If Simba is feeling poorly, or suffering from arthritis pain, Tiny can really hurt him. Tiny, also may be picking up on Simba feeling more vulnerable.

I recommend a check up for Simba, first. Blood work urinalysis and an arthritis evaluation. I also recommend providing Simba with safe warm places to curl up, easy for him to get to. Play with Tiny more yourself, to give him an outlets other than harassing Simba.

Talk to Tiny seriously about Simba being more fragile now and that Tiny needs to be more careful with him,

Make sure that Simba is getting enough safe gentle exercise, to keep him limber. If he wil allow it, massages can help him too.

Feed both cats an all wet (or raw diet) avoid dry food.

#4 lorilu, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  5. egyptianreggae

hello! Lovely to see you here! How are you and Mika and Rosso? I'm very well, thank you - working in Brighton and going to London a lot...

6. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

OMG, @egyptianreggae it's great to see you back! I was searching for one of your hysterical posts just the other week, the one where one of the boys came into the bathroom to use the tray while you were in the bath. I couldn't find it but am sniggering out loud right now even at the vague memory of it.
    Sorry to hear the lads are falling out but pleeeeeease stick around and entertain us! ( and find that poop post for me)

7. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Hello stranger, welcome back!

The boys are looking dashing still.

I’m having this problem with my oldest Loulou 12yrs next week and my youngest Lottie 3, Loulou just wants a quiet life and Lottie wants to be top!

I have found by blocking and feeding Lottie first has helped a lot, all advice from our good friends on cat chat

8. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

Welcome back :)

Try and make sure it doesn't become a habit for Tiny as once it does it is hard to stop him seeing chasing Simba as the most fun thing to do whenever he is temporarily at a loss. Simba will see it as harassment, and people tend to think is playing, but you have already noticed that Simba is changing his routes and behaviour. I am of the view that hissing and growling is a sign that you need to intervene, and distract, distract, distract. Just don't let Tiny realise that if he bugs Simba he will get your attention. Cats are so complicated....

egyptianreggae and chillminx like this.
  9. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I'll leave the advice to others but just to say cat dynamics do change - and lovely to see you over here :Cat

10. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @egyptianreggae - how lovely to hear from you! I hope life is going well for you. :)

Amazing photo of your two kitties:)

Lots of good advice already given.... I especially echo the advice of @lorilu and @Jonescat.

11. egyptianreggae

hello! Thank you all for the replies, it's so good to hear from people who understand. it's good to be back! They seem to have settled down over the past few days, perhaps it was the full moon setting them off again. @Paddypaws I think I remember that post! I certainly remember the incident... I'll see if I can dig it out.

I will keep an eye on them both. Simba seems in OK condition, and can certainly manage his usual jumps and picks up a decent amount of speed when bombing down the garden path...

Paddypaws likes this.
  12. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

Hi there
    Spats go on here and I used to worry my larger younger cat was bullying my rescue.

Things settle then we have the odd intense set to where I intervene as top cat!! It’s always my female doing the aggro but Iv gives it back. He is more vocal so tends to squeak when jumped on which made me think he was getting hurt.

I think it is like a marriage / friendship with blips x

lymorelynn likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice