UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know thats the theory but I cant say Ive noticed today.:( Took the mutt's on a big circuit today that involved a walk up a massive hill, off lead over the fields, down into town(into the bank!LOL) and back home through the high street. Just now we've come back from another walk (just half hour road walking) and they are currently alternating between bitey-face, wall o'death and zoomies looking like they are on fast forward!!:D:thumbup:

Seriously how do you folks with high energy breeds manage??? I cant even tire out 3 tiny Chihuahua's!:rolleyes:

·
Banned
23,698 Posts
It depends on the dog. Some breeds need mental exercise more than physical to be calm ie border collie whereas others will be calm with a long walk. It is possible to overdo it and make them overtired and hyper

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
i used to walk my last malamute at least 8 miles a day and even when you went home you couldnt put your shoes on without him bouncing off the door lol!

Shorty is getting the same but being a mally i expect that. Some dogs are just lazy tho, a friend who has a lab has to DRAG her outside otherwise she'd never get off the couch :lol:

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
My springers can be out running all day and still want more when they come home so i give them something to focus their mind on to quieten them down

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
It is possible to overdo it and make them overtired and hyper
Thats true.

My springers can be out running all day and still want more when they come home so i give them something to focus their mind on to quieten them down
....and thats a good way to help. :)

·
Banned
767 Posts
as long as both mine get about 3 or 4 hour long walks and run arounds they are very calm if i leave it to long though i can always tell when they need walked they wont settle and start play fighting with each other.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
what do you give them to focus on hun?? Could use some new ideas for the malamonster :)

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
as long as Ollie gets a walk, either on lead or off lead, for about 30 minutes, he's happy for the whole day and just sleeps. if he doesn't go out at all all day, he is hyper in the evenings.

·
Banned
767 Posts
for mal owners or even for dogs that have hunt instinct, we created a line with a bit of fleece on it and we set it in a huge circle and we pull one end back and forth and it makes the fleece go round and a round and iv never seen diva move so fast! she loves it!

i have some funny photos of it somewhere,

its similar to what they make the greyhounds and JRTs chase but a home made version!

·
Registered
163 Posts
as a general rule, exercise alone won't create a calm dog, they need both mental and physical stimulation to be furfilled and be a calm dog.
you can buy toys that help, such as kongs, treats balls, busy buddy toys, busta cubes etc, you can pick them up quite cheap off ebay.
along with these, if you do 2/3 x 10 minute training sessions per day, you will have a dog that is tired on both levels. Clicker training is really good for tiring them too.

·
Registered
23,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bah, my problem is lack of training then. Shame, coz I am rubbish at training!:D
I get seriously narked when I see progs like IMOTD with VS and she gets little dogs to sit and lie down almost straight away. I gave up on getting Adam to lie down, even his trainer at puppy classes just slunk away and avoided eye contact after the leg tunnel method failed!!he he:rolleyes:
Oh,well. I have discovered that throwing their breakfast all over the back garden produces some serious concentration too.:)

·
Registered
163 Posts
:D thats quite amusing what dog is your dog? try the treat balls as well, their great, just anything to stimulation their mind will do it.
if he's a stubborn one you can shape behaviours with a clicker or capture it, usually the stubborn ones turn out to be the clicker geniuses!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
My dogs are often on a high after a walk and take time to settle - it's the same sort of adrenaline rush that human athletes get and take a while to wind down from.

Also, sometimes the more exercise they get, the fitter they get - and so the more exercise they need to tire them out. It's a vicious circle. You have to work out how much is just enough to tire them without getting them TOO fit ;)

Some dogs seem more prone to becoming "exercise junkies" than others. It's about finding a balance, keeping them mentally tired as well as physically, and teaching them to relax on cue if necessary.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My dogs are often on a high after a walk and take time to settle - it's the same sort of adrenaline rush that human athletes get and take a while to wind down from.

Also, sometimes the more exercise they get, the fitter they get - and so the more exercise they need to tire them out. It's a vicious circle. You have to work out how much is just enough to tire them without getting them TOO fit ;)

Some dogs seem more prone to becoming "exercise junkies" than others. It's about finding a balance, keeping them mentally tired as well as physically, and teaching them to relax on cue if necessary.
good post. then you end up with a dog that won't tire out on a walk but is still a nightmare in the house

a really good book by the way is

101 dog tricks book amazon - Google Product Search

and

101 ways to train your dog - marie miller and sarah fisher :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
what do you give them to focus on hun?? Could use some new ideas for the malamonster :)
A kong or plastic bottle filled with treats. I hide treats round the kitchen and garden aswell. Carrots are good either on their own or wedged in something tight so they have to try and get them out

·
Registered
100 Posts
I do find that Milly my terrier gets even more hyper than usual if I've walked her to work and then we've had lots of visitors who fuss over her. Some times I just have to close the office door, send her to her bed and restore some calm!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.