Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Does dog boarding require nvq ?

Discussion in 'Dog Boarding' started by Paul's pets, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Paul's pets

Paul's pets PetForums Newbie

Reason I ask is that wife has been told that she will need to sign up for nvQ level 2 even though we have had two dogs and various other pets .also she has been doing home visit and walking for last two years . Your thoughts on this please ?

2. David Hendra

David Hendra PetForums Newbie

The regulations/guidelines document states that
    "Training must be a minimum of an OFQUAL regulated level 2 qualification in a relevant subject, or clear evidence of knowledge and experience."
    My wife has many years' experience looking after dogs as pets, and she has a pet first aid qualification, but she does not have a level 2 in a canine-related subject. And when she started started her home dog boarding business this year, Lancaster City Council awarded her with a two year 4-star dog boarding licence. So you should be able to appeal it if you can show "clear evidence of knowledge and experience."
    Hope this helps.

3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

If I was boarding my dog I would not be happy to put them with someone that had a piece of paper and no experience. It does sound like your council have got it wrong.

4. David Hendra

David Hendra PetForums Newbie

NVQ level 2 qualifications are very easy to get.When I worked as a retail manager, some of our shop assistants took their level 2 in retail. Sorry, if anyone with NVQ level 2 is offended by this, but they really didn't take much intelligence and it was all a bit of a box-ticking exercise. It might be easier just to do one of the online courses and get the level 2, rather than argue the toss with your council. It's just annoying that it will probably add another £300 or so to your start-up costs. Blitz is right, your council are seriously missing the point of the Regulations here, because an NVQ2 proves very little.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice