Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Does anyone own a Bichon Frise?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Tigermoon, May 1, 2015.

1. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

I am currently looking into getting a dog of my own and having done some research I have whittled the list down to 8 breeds and Bichon Frise is one of the breeds I am considering.

I work part-time Monday to Thursday mornings but the dog would never be left for more than 2 hours on its own. I have no children but my animal loving Nephew (13) visits every day after school.

Please could someone tell me more about the character of this breed and what they are like to have as part of the family?
    In particular I would like to know:
    How easy are they to train (house and basic obedience training)?
    What is the daily routine for their coats?
    How much exersize do they need to be happy and healthy?
    Are they a noisy breed?
    Do they get on well with other animals in the house? (I have cats who are used to dogs)
    What health issues should I be aware of?

Anything else you can think of :)

2. shirleystarr

shirleystarr PetForums VIP

Hi I have always had a lot of Bichon's so will try and tell you what I know I am sure others will be able to tell you more though
    Are they easy to house train some maybe most take longer I have found from other breeds
    Routine for coats I brush them every day leave it longer than a week and they get matted
    Groomers every 6 weeks
    The can have the same exercise as any other breed little walks when pups longer walks when they get older
    Some are noisy others not mine only bark when someone comes to the door
    Mine love cats love children in fact love everyone
    Health issues depends if you buy from a good breeder with health tested mum and dad
    I have had Bichons from puppies no health issues I now have Rescue Bichons some lived to 15 or 16 The two I have now one has cataracts the other has a thyroid problem mostly due to the age I think
    obedience training I found easy with the puppies harder with the rescue dogs as they had been abused hope that helps:)

Tigermoon likes this.
  3. shirleystarr

sorry forgot to say they don't like being left alone for long periods of time they are people orientated dogs but 2 hours should be ok so long as you build the time up gradually

Tigermoon likes this.
  4. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

My two are part Bichon, and they are very people orientated and as Shirley says don't like being left for long periods, one of mine got house training straight away, and rarely messed in doors, the other is 10 months old now and it has been a battle and if I miss one of her subtle lies she will still pee indoors, I don't have children but have two nieces aged 8 and 5 that they see a lot and they mix very well with them, mine get one walk a day of around an hour, and they get garden mooching time and they seem very happy with this.

Tigermoon likes this.
  5. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

I have a Bichon who is nearly 5 years old. My son has two Bichons, one is the litter sister of mine, the other is a 12 month old. They are all very different.

How easy are they to train (house and basic obedience training)?

My Bichon was a doddle to house train, the day she came for some reason she adopted the large litter tray left down for the cat (cat doesn't use it). I just gradually moved it towards the door, then outside, plus taking her out regularly and when she showed signs (circling, sniffing). Once she was allowed walks after her vaccinations she was toiletting out on walks no problem.

My son's older Bichon didn't have any house training, they were lazy, they thought she would copy their other dog who used to toilet outside (that dog now passed away). She never has and wont toilet outside so there's always puppy pads down. The pup has taken it's lead from the older Bichon so now there are two who wont toilet outside.

What is the daily routine for their coats?

I brush mine every day. Takes about 10 minutes when she's just been groomed to about 25 minutes when she needs her next groom. She goes every five weeks to the groomers. Brushing will keep the coat clean and it's possible a bath wont be needed between grooms. Sometimes I have to bath mine between grooms because we're on the beach every day and her coat gets sandy.

How much exersize do they need to be happy and healthy?

My dog is happy with two decent walks a day. Depending on weather (she doesn't like rain) we are usually out for an hour each time. Part pavement walk to the beach, part off lead on beach where she spends most time sniffing rather than running about. Then a 10 minute toilet walk last thing.

Are they a noisy breed?

Mine will bark if anyone comes through the gate into the garden. Also if I come home or a special friend comes and she gets excited and wants fuss. Other than that she's quiet. She doesn't make any noise if I leave her when I have to go out (checked with neighbours).

My son's older dog barks whenever anyone walks past his window, also tends to bark sometimes when they're out walking and people walk past. His younger dog again takes the lead from the older one.

Do they get on well with other animals in the house? (I have cats who are used to dogs)

I have a cat, my dog and cat live together fairly well. Cat ignores dog. Dog can sometimes chase cat but doesn't do anything if she catches her up.

My son's dogs ignore my cat.

What health issues should I be aware of?

I don't know of any but it would be worth doing some research.

Each dog is different even within the same breed, I don't think you can really generalise on things like are they noisy and do they get on with cats but that sort of thing can be trained anyway.

ETA: My dog is very nervous/timid and is frightened of children she doesn't know although happy with my grandchildren. I built up the time to being left alone very gradually. She's not left often, just a couple of times a week for shopping for an hour, sometimes two, and occasionally 3.5 hours when I go to the dentist. Any longer than that and I get a friend or my son to come in and spend some time with her to break the time up.

#5 DirtyGertie, May 1, 2015
    Last edited: May 1, 2015
    Tigermoon likes this.
  6. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Thank you all, that's really useful information.

7. shirleystarr

You are very welcome

8. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

I have 2 Bichon crosses and they are so friendly, the only thing they suffer with is itchy skin which I treat accordingly...toilet training with Penny (who I've had since day one) was easy though she did back step at about 6 months....easy sorted though, Molly was more difficult but I didn't get her till 16 months and she came with issues so it was more environmental difficulties than breed...the speed in which she is changing indicates that she too would have been easy if I'd had her since day 1, she is a barker though, which is improving, I watched a programme wish Victoria Stillwell and she measured the noise of a Bichon who barked all the time and the noise metre measured it as louder than a pneumatic drill ...though if trained this shouldn't be an issue anyway.... I absolutely love Bichons and will definitely have more in the future, great with everyone, and they make wonderful therapy dogs also

9. petrovaa2

petrovaa2 PetForums Newbie

Hi i want to buy bichon frise but i'm not sure this dog is a bichon. Can someone please help me about this. Here is a photo

Attached Files:

10. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

@petrovaa2 it might be better to start your own thread for maximum advice on sourcing puppies etc. (also this one is over 3yrs old)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice